Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:42 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
What if the entire school is white and middle class?
This is Texas, where all things are bigger (including the percentage of students in the top 10%).

Old 10-30-2009, 06:04 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post

Researching in depth when we thought of making the move from London, we found that, for example, topics in Physics and Chemistry studied by our son at age 15, were not taken until age 18 in Texas, and as for the book lists, novels studied by him when he was 12, were not read until age 15 in Texas, and most books on the list for 11 year olds had been read by our daughter when she was 9.

You can not compare the school system here with the one in Europe at all. It's totally different.

The 10% rule puts a lot of pressure on the students and the parents. If you have the resources to send your children to a tutor, or do whatever it takes to get them in the 10%, then that's what you'll see. You'll just have middle class students in the top 10 of their class.

People here are crazy about UT Austin. They will do WHATEVER to get their kids into that school. I think it's totally overrated. UT Austin is to Texans what the holy grail is to Christians

Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,460,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Hahah, now that's a good one. Every single one of these threads has a negative one started by some troll who intends to start commotion. That goes for every thread from NYC to Idaho and every time people get defensive. The sad thing is that often times these people are drug users who need our help.
Or, better drugs.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 PM

I am often amused by folks that confuse intelligence, with education. They are not one and the same, no matter how many books ya read. Ya just can't fix "stupid." it seems. Have a good one out there, and happy Halloween.

Last edited by Thaskateguy; 10-30-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,561,694 times
Quote:
The OP was about education, and I can only throw in my 2 cents. My nephew and niece were relocated here with my brother & S in L from Denver, when nephew was 6 and niece 4. They were educated in Cypress & are now at University in Austin. Their experience was that it is really easy to be in the top 10% if you are white & middle class, and that the overall standard is quite low.
The standards may be lower, however I would have to say UT is far superior to the University of Colorado. One could easily argue that Texas affords an opportunity to attend a great school in a state where economic stratification is far greater than Colorado.

Quote:
Researching in depth when we thought of making the move from London, we found that, for example, topics in Physics and Chemistry studied by our son at age 15, were not taken until age 18 in Texas, and as for the book lists, novels studied by him when he was 12, were not read until age 15 in Texas, and most books on the list for 11 year olds had been read by our daughter when she was 9.
What you failed to mention is England's education system is entirely different. If your kids had not done well on national tests, they would be doomed to a life of being a janitor or driving a double decker bus. You have to keep in mind our national standards are for a population of 250 million while yours are for 50 million.

Quote:
A lot of it has to do with the uniquely American insularity, I think, which even afflicts our well educated family!
A European accusing anyone of being insular makes me laugh.

Quote:
All that said, even tho we did not make the move because we feared our kids would be bored in school and because we don't care for the Guns n' God culture, I still find Houston a great city with friendly people and lots to do.
The Guns n' God culture, eh? I'm starting to wonder if you've ever even been here.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Some people wipe their feet, after they come in the house.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
First let me say I love Houston and this is NOT a "bash Houston" thread.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The standards may be lower, however I would have to say UT is far superior to the University of Colorado. One could easily argue that Texas affords an opportunity to attend a great school in a state where economic stratification is far greater than Colorado.

What you failed to mention is England's education system is entirely different. If your kids had not done well on national tests, they would be doomed to a life of being a janitor or driving a double decker bus. You have to keep in mind our national standards are for a population of 250 million while yours are for 50 million.

A European accusing anyone of being insular makes me laugh.

The Guns n' God culture, eh? I'm starting to wonder if you've ever even been here.
There ya go.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:55 AM

491 posts, read 1,261,165 times
This is sort of an interesting thread, but I've heard a lot of the comments and complaints all of my life about Houston. In fact, I've made them myself on occasion.

I was born in Houston and lived there for 45 years, I'm in my mid-fifties now. There are very few persons my age who are native Houstonians. My wife, my brothers and sisters and my wife's sister were all born in Houston. What is interesting is that none of us live in Houston any more. Most of the clan still live in Texas, although my wife and I live on the Left Coast.

Ever since the 70's Houston has been a very dynamic city with tremendous migration. Since that time, it has become a place filled with people from other places, both foreign and the U.S. It has no hometown feel for me whatsoever. It is such a different place than the one that I grew up in that by the time I was in my 40's I felt like I was the out of towner. That's when we decided to leave.

I would add that since I started reading this forum, there is little that has inspired me to ever want to move back, even though we will probably move from the Left Coast within the next year.

I think the fact that Houston is so full of people not born there is probably both it's greatest strength and it's most unattractive characteristic.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:04 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,004 times
//www.city-data.com/city/New-York-New-York.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Los-An...alifornia.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

According to this very website, Houston is roughly about as educated as these other cities. You can plug other cities in and see how they stack up. I don't think lack of education is the primary issue to explain away Houston's problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston