Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 17,062 times

Advertisements

I was a Disco DJ back in the 70's and 80's. Some of the clubs I worked at or played at where Lord Jims, Bonaparte's Retreat, The Rabbit Habbit, Why Not Disco, AJ's, Lujan's, The Genesis, DJ's, The Zodiak. Probably a few more that I can't remember right now. I also DJed at The Out House in Corpus and Brownsville, DJ's Disco in Brownsville and Harlingen. The last club I DJed at was Lujan's in Houston.

Ralph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Where was The Rabbit Habbit?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 17,062 times
The Rabbit Habbit was on Fulton Street by Moody Park.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,837 times
Z-Street, Rolando's Burger Factory, Honey Comb Gameroom, Bombay Bicycle Club, Todds (SW FWY Hotel)

Old 11-23-2014, 08:58 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
As Washington Ave. is the "it" place right now, I have to wonder what will happen to the area when the upscale crowd goes elsewhere as historically they always move on to the next hot spot leaving the current to fall to disarray. Will it become a blighted area as most of the "clubby" areas of the past have.

Who Remembers:

The hot place at one time is now the area referred to as the Gulfton Ghetto. Then the hot place became Westheimer from the Galleria to Augusta and then again at Gessner/Westheimer

Spoiler
Then came the Richmond Strip

Then Downtown - shortlived as a hot place
Then Midtown - still has it's share of nightlife but not an overwhelming presence that usually leaves an area blighted when it disappears
Presently Washington Avenue

Some of these were from my underage drinking days and some before my nightlife days........

Crazy Banana
The Orchard Club on Glenmont
Bonaparte's Retreat
Barbary Coast
Ciao
Studabakers
The Fox Club
Cooters
Todds (Richmond)
Xanadu
The Place on Woodway
Genesis
Uncle Sams aka U.S. Disco
Annabelles
Squeeze Box
Todds (Clear Lake)
The Atrium Club (Clear Lake)
I lived in the Gulfton area before it was a ghetto. Working on Chimney Rock, just north of Gulfton, I lived at Napoleon Square. Yes, a good time was had by all.

And before there was a Gulfton Ghetto, before there was a Galleria, there was 'The Groovy Catacombs', best I can recall on Post Oak Blvd, between Westheimer and W Alabama. 610 was a shiny new highway.

And don't forget, Mid Lane was locally known as 'Sin Alley'

Old 11-23-2014, 12:39 PM

156 posts, read 370,035 times
Who remembers Hurricane Hut/Surf Shack/Binini Beach on Richmond? I went there when I turned 18. They then moved across the street next to Wild West. They opened another location on 1960 and T.C. Jester. I went their regularly for a few years. Lots of good times there. Along the line they had a few name changes, Surf Shack, then Bikini Beach. They opened a third location in Clear Lake on NASA Rd1. I went their for a time as well when I lived in Webster. About the time I started to age out of that crowd (i was mid twenties at that point, they were 18+) All the locations started to decline and a couple closed. I think the TABC violations were piling up, which had been the main reasons for all the name changes.

I think the clear lake location was the last hold out. I went there a time or two back around 2010 or so. It was BAD. They had went completely ghetto, from a good mixed crowd to completely hood and trashy. I felt completely uncomfortable as probably the only white guy in the place, I left after 20 minutes. They eventually closed up and finally faded from Houston nightlife.

But man I was always at the 1960 location, met lot s nice women there, lol.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:15 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times
I remember the"CRYSTAL PISTOL" on Richmond Ave. and the "CRYSTAL PALACE" near Stella Link and the 610 loop.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 18,077 times
Help. I'm trying to find my dad that I've never met. His aunt and uncle owned the honeycomb. His name is David. Anyone have info?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 18,077 times
Im looking for my dad. His aunt and uncle Sharon and roger Schmitt or Schmidt owned the honeycomb bar in the 80s. His names david murphy. He was a guitarist and country singer and is aprox 55 yrs old currently. Please contact mindynhazen@gmail.com if u have any info. Thanks

Old 02-04-2015, 02:16 PM

13 posts, read 73,247 times
I remember going to Surfside Sally's with friends around 2000-2002, in my late 20's. One night we went and I walked out back and effin' Vanilla Ice was on the freakin stage! I was not even aware he was supposed to be there. I remember the "Fishbowls" filled with fruit and some sort of red alcoholic concoction designed to put you in a coma. I remember the shot girls with chaps and spurs dancing whenever Kid Rock's "Cowboy" came on over the loud speakers. Oh dear...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston