Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 AM

4 posts, read 13,359 times

Advertisements

We plan to move from Colorado to Houston. Love the Colorado, but just tired with the snow driving plus dry weather just did not work well for our skin. It seems like the Houston weather will suit us better. We used to live in Florida, heat and humidity are no problem for us.

We have a 4 years old and 4 months old. The good public school area is the top priority for our children. We are looking for a good area with decent house price below 150 k or 100 K. We just need 3 bedrooms house, clean, nice neighborhood with a good school area, not in a flood zone. Of course, it would be nice if we can find a job near by, if not, we can handle the one hour driving with traffic. We are looking for job opportunity in Human Resource, hotel or IT fields. What is the area has many job opportunity in these area and how is the current job market in Houston?

We did the research for a year on cypress, katy, sugarland and harris county. Cypress seems like a quite good school area and nice neighborhood. Some people said the cy-fair school district is the best, many people said katy has the best school. Any suggestion?

Do you know the cy-fair school district zip code or what is the good area(zip code) to live in Harris county?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Getting a nice 3 bedroom in a good district for 100k is probably not going to happen unless you want a fixer. 150k is a more reasonable price.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:58 AM

we are are looking for a house need to fix. It doesn't need to be in the best neighborhood in Houston. The good school is much important for us.

I seems many houses(short sale) in real estate.com with decent good school area, some of them below 100K, more under 150K in katy, spring, humble, cypress or around the bush international airport area. It seems Sugar land is much expensive compare to the others. Just not sure about the neighborhood around there.

In Denver, typically good school area means nicer neighborhood, not sure about Houston.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
You aren't going to afford the *nice area* of Katy, but you have a good shot in Cypress.

Millsap elementary is an exemplary school with affordable neighborhoods zoned to it. It front Ravensway, which is a very family friendly neighborhood... think 4th of July parades and the whole bit. I know 2 families over there that can afford more house, but don't want to leave!

We loved Millsap. My daughter's kindergarten teacher was there (same school) for 20+ years. You won't find that in the "trendy schools." We lived in Oak Cliff Place... Houston 77065 address (zoned to Millsap) and 3br/2ba homes there run about $110k.

Also see Enchanted Forrest. Look at Houston Real Estate - Houston Homes, Houston Home Value and Houston Relocation

You can find what you are looking for in that part of Cypress and be able to afford it.

I'm now in Katy... if you look down this way (south of I-10), see Cimmarron, Memorial Parkway, Nottingham Country, Hickory Creek subdivisions.. These are all older neighborhoods in your price range zoned to highly rated schools, with more expensive neighborhoods surrounding them.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 PM

24 posts, read 42,233 times
You can do very nice map searches in har.com. It will let you select area, price range and so on. I bet you can find what you're looking for there.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
I'm now in Katy... if you look down this way (south of I-10), see Cimmarron, Memorial Parkway, Nottingham Country, Hickory Creek subdivisions.. These are all older neighborhoods in your price range zoned to highly rated schools, with more expensive neighborhoods surrounding them.
Good little neighborhoods. Good schools.
In the Cy-Fair area, you can get Copperfield under $140K.
Re-sale is good in either area.

Bear Creek Village (older homes), Villages of Bear Creek Meador (newer, and not the same subdivision), several others nearby.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:30 PM

47 posts, read 262,726 times
I live in Westheimer Lakes North in Katy, we have a brand new elementary that my son attends, and he is doing very well, you can get a brand new home in the 150's range from a couple of builders in our neighborhood. And, there are a number of child care centers in the area, including the Rocking Horse where I send my daughter, very nice and very affordable. And we are just off the Westpark Tollway which goes right down to Houston. I'm a big fan of this neighborhood and the area of South Katy.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:51 PM

Thank you so much for the helpful info....

Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 AM

3 posts, read 7,333 times
Also, try the Klein school district and look for houses in Spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston