Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 05:57 AM

848 posts, read 2,130,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I do plan to visit the PH very soon...Manila, Boracay, Bohol, & Cebu. Many of my close friends here are Filipino so I know a great deal about the country. As a matter of fact, I saw the Pacquiao fight live at Dallas Cowboys stadium this past weekend. I even met/took pictures with Arnel Pineda, the *new* lead singer of the world wide famous 80's Rock band Journey who is also Filipino. He was discovered singing Journey cover songs on Youtube a few years ago & was immediately signed by the band because of his similar singing style with the original singer, "The Voice" Steve Perry.
Hey that's cool, man.

I'm of Filipino descent and I still say to Filipinos that Journey is also the legacy of some great musicians like Gregg Rolie and Aynsley Dunbar who had come and gone through the band. I like Dunbar's drum style but he has mellowed out a bit, especially when he recorded with UFO and Schenker the past decade. (It's OK, Aynsley. You can shred with rockers such as UFO...it's not like you're doing drums for Mariah Carey!)

I loved Journey's Escape album when I was a kid.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
Oh, I don't know... go visit Stockholm if you want to hear some jokes and trash talking about Norwegians. Funny how that is; if you want to hear some trash about any nation, just ask their neighbors, and you'll get a ready supply.

And does it matter if we veer off topic; the thread is a little silly anyway, que no?

The Danes talk crap about Swedes sometimes. But having been from Copenhagen to Malmo, it's probably not as intense. They are neighbor cities by hydrofoil...and a bridge now, from what I understand.

And vice versa. Did you ever see that movie from Denmark "The Kingdom?" Interesting subdued look at a haunted hospital. I was hooked on it. That Swedish doctor kept referring to his Danish hosts as scoundrels and such.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM

1,474 posts, read 5,002,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I've been to both...Cebu is certainly a colorful, dense and very vibrant city. They specialize in a guitar-making district as well as this one street that has dried fish. It's less serious than Manila, more jovial in that way...but the intensity of density is almost on par.

And downtown Houston isn't "dead."
less serious? theyre incomparable. like NYC to Houston. way to go even more off topic.

BS. Houston downtown is dead especially at night.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,608,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Why not? It's a still a fast growing metro of global importance...yet it negotiates suburban reality with excellent urban amenities. Ethnic diversity and cultural import here are about as significant as NY. We're just not as overcrowded here. Bigger isn't better when it comes to living comfort.

I don't care if there are strip malls here in Houston. It's easy to get chores done by vehicle, don't you think? In one center and out for dry cleaning, in one center and out for Fido's new chewball, in one center and out for a quick smoothie...

It's not like NYC where commuter times are twice as bad as anywhere else in the US. Taking bags of groceries in the subway, or many, many blocks, in the rain at times? All the time? No car? That sucks. And even if you have a car in NYC, forget it. Parking SUCKS!!

There's strip malls in New York. There's strip malls in Chicago. There's strip malls in Washington DC. However, they are few far in between. There are more streetfront stores in these cities or the parking lots are in the back of the store which is what I think should happen for Houston. There really is no argument or discussing this. If you are looking for the ultimate urban experience in this country, NYC is the city to be in. Houston does not come close even on it's best day. I'm sure not most people take groceries on a the subway. They have a multitude of corner stores and small grocery stores littered around the city for a quick pickup for many residents throughout the city.

Also, I think you're talking about being a slave for your car. Using your car for everything. I don't mind the car either. I would drive one if I lived in New York. But I would barely use it. Because everything is convienient for me at my doorstep. I'm glad the parking sucks in NYC. Doesn't stop it from being the most visited city in the nation every year.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,153,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There's strip malls in New York. There's strip malls in Chicago. There's strip malls in Washington DC. However, they are few far in between. There are more streetfront stores in these cities or the parking lots are in the back of the store which is what I think should happen for Houston. There really is no argument or discussing this. If you are looking for the ultimate urban experience in this country, NYC is the city to be in. Houston does not come close even on it's best day. I'm sure not most people take groceries on a the subway. They have a multitude of corner stores and small grocery stores littered around the city for a quick pickup for many residents throughout the city.

Also, I think you're talking about being a slave for your car. Using your car for everything. I don't mind the car either. I would drive one if I lived in New York. But I would barely use it. Because everything is convienient for me at my doorstep. I'm glad the parking sucks in NYC. Doesn't stop it from being the most visited city in the nation every year.
Exactly. Strip malls are everywhere, people. I've seen them in every city I've been to. Some are better kept, some are tackier than the ones I've seen in Houston. However, the main thing is that parking lots are kept to a minimum or in the back of the strip mall and there may just be one parking spot. It's less of an eyesore that way. Houston requires more than enough parking spots.

It is true though, that this country is mostly auto-centric, and Houston is no different. I think most New Yorkers are happy with their transit system too. Unfortunately, getting around in car is way too easy in Houston. The fact that driving is difficult and parking is expensive further pushes people to use public transportation in NYC and I hope it happens for Houston soon.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:45 PM

1,474 posts, read 5,002,935 times
just want to add, not everyone in manhattan works in manhattan. those who work outside have cars of course. people who work in downtown houston pay parking to work, to me its not so different from people paying parking to get home.
some folks own cars for pleasure only. I kept mine on the jersey side which is just a short train ride away ( and cheaper and well taken cared of too)

Old 03-20-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

New York is not the experience I want everyday...so no, it ain't the center of my universe. Isn't Houston one of the top cities people are MOVING to? Isn't NY one of the cities most working class types are looking to leave?
http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story...provider=gnews

It is what it is. Commuting time in NY is twice the national average.

New York street life is BLAND compared to Manila's. New York is a rough cesspool compared to Amsterdam and London.

It's all relative.

Houston is just the perfect blend of excitement in certain corners, pastoral reflection in certain others and quiet in appropriate areas...all in one convenient package. I don't know why anal urbanists can never get that. Sorry, Houston is just a much more balanced and pleasant place to live...and that's what's important. Not Conde Nast and Travel & Leisure propaganda lists.

If you've read my other posts, I don't use my car all the time to get to work. Indeed, most other Houstonians can be a slave to their cars, but so what? It's mostly an American reality.

I've experienced driving my own car and almost getting clipped in tight Manhattan. It's deplorable up there.

I don't think Houston should use more of those parallel parking sidewalk drags just for the sake of being cute.

I lived that in SoCal and that gets to be awfully inconvenient and quite dangerous when it's difficult to see around parked cars when negotiating corners.

Besides, Houston has a plethora of little destination areas, either nouveaux or well-aged, that aren't typical strip center style such as parts of the Montrose, Old Town Spring, downtown, 19th Street Heights, Mid Lane, Rice Village, Kemah Lightouse District, City Centre, Woodlands and etc.

Again, I find the open parking of the typical strip centers here in Houston to be convenient when doing my pressing errands. In then out. Simple. Modern. Then if I want some big city style of differing vibes, I can hit areas like downtown or Washington Ave...or eclectic 'hoods like Montrose or Rice. Don't see what the problem is with this.

Westheimer is still a pleasant resource for me just to drive and cruise up and down. Hands down. It's an all purpose drag for errands and entertainment.

Just the fact we can have all sorts of settings and environments in close convenience/accessiblity is what makes Houston a superior city to New York in terms of balanced living.

Last edited by worldlyman; 03-20-2010 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
less serious? theyre incomparable. like NYC to Houston. way to go even more off topic.

BS. Houston downtown is dead especially at night.
I've been there. Cebu City and Manila are comparable, but different. Cebu's just quite smaller and less serious. Same jeepneys, same crowded sidewalks. Same heat, same smell, same weather...just a difference in the prevalence of Tagalog vs Visayan dialects, that's all.

Well, my YouTube video that I recently took certainly disproves downtown Houston is "dead."

YouTube - HOUSTON - Downtown - Saturday Night

Last edited by worldlyman; 03-20-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 01:10 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,279,755 times
nice video wordlyman. yes downtown houston at night is a pretty happening place, especially with the new nightspots in the houston pavilions. No offense, but was the person shooting this video 3 ft tall or something?

Last edited by stoneclaw; 03-20-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 01:39 PM

27 posts, read 137,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBrit View Post
Thanks. As an 'out-of-towner' (actually, 'out-of-country-er'), I'm using city-data.com to find honest, subjective information prior to my move to Houston. I don't need patriotic fan boys and girls, just straight-up honesty, with unbiased and balanced views.

To me, a move over the ocean from the UK to Houston is a massive life change. I need information here to help me make it a positive move.

Thanks to everyone that contributes, I really appreciate it.
Do you work from home (if you work), or will you need to be commuting to the city (Houston proper) every day? The Greater Houston area encompasses a variety of areas, from coast to hills, city & country. I think if you provide more information about what your needs and interests are, you may get a better response. I love the water, and living near the coast makes sense for me. I go into Houston maybe twice a month, because everything I need is down here, so I don't have to deal with the freeways much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston