Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 02:28 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

There was a time (a couple of years ago), when Alief ISD was on top of the map. It was a diverse school district and Elsik's test scores were going through the roof. Kerr is still a top high school, also. Alief is a very diverse area and really isn't a bad place to live (single-family living). Just the apartments can be bad.

The downfall for Spring and Alief were that developers built a whole bunch of apartments all in one area. They aren't doing that in Katy, so I don't know why people are acting the way they are. Plus, Katy ISD is a HUGE district and covers a lot of land, compared to Spring ISD and Alief ISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 02:36 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
There was a time (a couple of years ago), when Alief ISD was on top of the map. It was a diverse school district and Elsik's test scores were going through the roof. Kerr is still a top high school, also. Alief is a very diverse area and really isn't a bad place to live (single-family living). Just the apartments can be bad.

The downfall for Spring and Alief were that developers built a whole bunch of apartments all in one area. They aren't doing that in Katy, so I don't know why people are acting the way they are. Plus, Katy ISD is a HUGE district and covers a lot of land, compared to Spring ISD and Alief ISD.
If we let that project go up, do you really think it was going to stop there?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Then again when you start paying property taxes.....your opinion on this topic will have a little more weight to it
When I start paying property taxes I will still feel the same. And please don't reply saying I will change my mind once I have to start paying. I wouldn't mind them building something like this if I lived in a very nice area, and made plenty of money. I grew up very poor, and I never stole anything are shanked anyone that lived in a nice neighborhood. Maybe this development would have made the developers some money. But, I also know that this would have given some kids that live in some very bad areas an opportunity to move out of those areas. And trust me, the best thing you can do for a kid that lives in a high crime area is to get them out of it. Therefore, there is less crime in the future. But why am I wasting my breath. This is C-D after all, haha.

p.s. Someone asked me why I don't post as much on this site anymore....

Old 04-04-2010, 02:44 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
Quote:
Yes, it could stop there. If one project goes up, one can say "we already have sufficient low income apartments, and we don't need any more"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Kerr is still a top high school, also.
Yes - I think Kerr acts as the magnet high school for AISD.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Who knows and you didn't stop it. Eventually it will happen and you'll have to live with it.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
I wouldn't mind them building something like this if I lived in a very nice area, and made plenty of money. I grew up very poor, and I never stole anything are shanked anyone that lived in a nice neighborhood. Maybe this development would have made the developers some money. But, I also know that this would have given some kids that live in some very bad areas an opportunity to move out of those areas. And trust me, the best thing you can do for a kid that lives in a high crime area is to get them out of it. Therefore, there is less crime in the future. But why am I wasting my breath.
I respect and understand your position(well stated), the problem is how do we go about it? It's not as easy as you think(I wish it was)....I would be OK with it if I knew for a fact that there were strict guidelines set in place to make sure that these apartments was not going to turn into a slum....but unfortunately this it TEXAS! and less government is better(I guess)

Old 04-04-2010, 02:53 PM

Here's the $1,000,000.00 question.....why do most low income apartment in Houston eventually turn into $hitholes?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:56 PM

Here's the reviews from another Project(BY THE SAME DEVELOPER! )

Alta Gardens Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Houston apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Date posted: 1/16/2009
Years at this apartment: 2008 - 2009

"I would like to start off by saying that when I first moved here I should have saw a sigh then that you could not view the apartment and that you had to wait until the apartment was ready to move in. When I moved in I have been scared as a young black woman the things that were happening around the community. The first month there was a shooting in the building nest to me and one guy got shot and the other guy was shot and killed. What woke me was the police cars that were in front of my window flashing there lights and yellow tape everywhere. A letter was sent out at that time and it is always that person didn't live here, but it happened here. The gates or not secured at all. People break the gated and come in the back all the time. Trash is out awful and when they put the trash on the cars the trash falls down and they leave it there for everyone to run right over it. The guy who lives above me walks 24/7 and I have walked up there and spoke to him and then I went to the office and the officers went to the door to talk to him. After that my car was scratched and then I saw the guy who lived above me outside coming home from work and he just smiled. I left him along because he kept walking and walking. I have had several azures there and in the six month or so I have been in the hospital and did not know what was going on. I also suffer for anxiety as well and on meds for both. This is not healthy for me and the health of my daughter who is pregnant for fear of our lives. My daughter, when she comes she has to call me to the front door because she is pregnant and I have to get out the bed to let her in and she has to fun to the door and look it. She and her friends have been chased to her door by some guys that live in building 10 and the first thing that comes out the managers CHRIS mouth was you know you are not to come thru the back gate. Well at that point I didn t think that was important at the time. No one should be chased to their apartment because we want talk to know one. You don t know who is friendly here and you don t want to get close to anyone because you can t trust anyone. Well it is constantly open and broke all the time she did it one time and the whole complex does it. I have never did it and I told my daughter to go around and not be like these others around here that never get caught The trash compactor is ridiculous and would cause rats and rodents to the property. I pay $678.00 per month but for my safety I would pay more. I I am just scared here for me and my children and cars are being broken into and doors kicked in. There has been several knocking on my door and Officer Mike told me that he think he got the people that was doing it. He also attempted to go up stairs to talk to the people for all the walking. I should not have to turn my TV up just to block the stomping. I have a sheet up in front of my window because you feel that someone is looking into window. I have talked to several people around the complex and the things that I heard or sad. Friday January 9, 2009 a guy driving a old grey car was yelling at me when I got out of my car around 8:00pm saying hey baby and I rushed to my apartment with bags from the store. Wednesday January 7th a guy approached me and asked me about my car and I asked why, he said that he heard some guys talking about it. I a summed it was him and I asked where did he live and he stated that he live over there. Which he pointed toward the 10 building and Locked my door and cut my alarm on. When you are afraid to walk out of your apartment whether it is day or night there is a problem. Since them four apartments doors have been kicked in, in December. Cars and truck tires are being broken into and stolen. In Saturday around 8:30pm and 9:00pm January 9th coming home there were 3 cars that were waiting to get into to the complex through the gate. They were not at the phone to call someone. Back gate always open and someone is always holding it up with a stick. People waiting at the back gate to get in so they want have to go around. I know that crime happens everywhere but not ever week and more than on. I have been advised by my Attorney to do the following things. So I am mailing and sending a certified letter to you. My move out date is February 18th and would like to be prorated for that."

Read more: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate...#ixzz0kAQa9tnL

Old 04-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah.

Where else would they put more apartments? That's first question to you. That, and you would already have a low-income apartment complex in the area, so no need for more. Now, the developer will just come back a second time. If you honestly think it's over and done for that part of Katy, then you're lying to yourself. Someone will be back.

Quote:
Here's the $1,000,000.00 question.....why do most low income apartment in Houston eventually turn into $hitholes?
Because developers would build a whole bunch of apartments in one area. Something you don't see often nowadays...especially in Katy. One reason why I don't know what all the fuss was about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
When I start paying property taxes I will still feel the same. And please don't reply saying I will change my mind once I have to start paying. I wouldn't mind them building something like this if I lived in a very nice area, and made plenty of money. I grew up very poor, and I never stole anything are shanked anyone that lived in a nice neighborhood. Maybe this development would have made the developers some money. But, I also know that this would have given some kids that live in some very bad areas an opportunity to move out of those areas. And trust me, the best thing you can do for a kid that lives in a high crime area is to get them out of it. Therefore, there is less crime in the future. But why am I wasting my breath. This is C-D after all, haha.

p.s. Someone asked me why I don't post as much on this site anymore....
+rep

Old 04-04-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Here's the reviews from another Project(BY THE SAME DEVELOPER! )

Alta Gardens Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Houston apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Date posted: 1/16/2009
Years at this apartment: 2008 - 2009

"I would like to start off by saying that when I first moved here I should have saw a sigh then that you could not view the apartment and that you had to wait until the apartment was ready to move in. When I moved in I have been scared as a young black woman the things that were happening around the community. The first month there was a shooting in the building nest to me and one guy got shot and the other guy was shot and killed. What woke me was the police cars that were in front of my window flashing there lights and yellow tape everywhere. A letter was sent out at that time and it is always that person didn't live here, but it happened here. The gates or not secured at all. People break the gated and come in the back all the time. Trash is out awful and when they put the trash on the cars the trash falls down and they leave it there for everyone to run right over it. The guy who lives above me walks 24/7 and I have walked up there and spoke to him and then I went to the office and the officers went to the door to talk to him. After that my car was scratched and then I saw the guy who lived above me outside coming home from work and he just smiled. I left him along because he kept walking and walking. I have had several azures there and in the six month or so I have been in the hospital and did not know what was going on. I also suffer for anxiety as well and on meds for both. This is not healthy for me and the health of my daughter who is pregnant for fear of our lives. My daughter, when she comes she has to call me to the front door because she is pregnant and I have to get out the bed to let her in and she has to fun to the door and look it. She and her friends have been chased to her door by some guys that live in building 10 and the first thing that comes out the managers CHRIS mouth was you know you are not to come thru the back gate. Well at that point I didn t think that was important at the time. No one should be chased to their apartment because we want talk to know one. You don t know who is friendly here and you don t want to get close to anyone because you can t trust anyone. Well it is constantly open and broke all the time she did it one time and the whole complex does it. I have never did it and I told my daughter to go around and not be like these others around here that never get caught The trash compactor is ridiculous and would cause rats and rodents to the property. I pay $678.00 per month but for my safety I would pay more. I I am just scared here for me and my children and cars are being broken into and doors kicked in. There has been several knocking on my door and Officer Mike told me that he think he got the people that was doing it. He also attempted to go up stairs to talk to the people for all the walking. I should not have to turn my TV up just to block the stomping. I have a sheet up in front of my window because you feel that someone is looking into window. I have talked to several people around the complex and the things that I heard or sad. Friday January 9, 2009 a guy driving a old grey car was yelling at me when I got out of my car around 8:00pm saying hey baby and I rushed to my apartment with bags from the store. Wednesday January 7th a guy approached me and asked me about my car and I asked why, he said that he heard some guys talking about it. I a summed it was him and I asked where did he live and he stated that he live over there. Which he pointed toward the 10 building and Locked my door and cut my alarm on. When you are afraid to walk out of your apartment whether it is day or night there is a problem. Since them four apartments doors have been kicked in, in December. Cars and truck tires are being broken into and stolen. In Saturday around 8:30pm and 9:00pm January 9th coming home there were 3 cars that were waiting to get into to the complex through the gate. They were not at the phone to call someone. Back gate always open and someone is always holding it up with a stick. People waiting at the back gate to get in so they want have to go around. I know that crime happens everywhere but not ever week and more than on. I have been advised by my Attorney to do the following things. So I am mailing and sending a certified letter to you. My move out date is February 18th and would like to be prorated for that."

Read more: Safty, killings, vandalism, etc. ..., Not Recommended, Jan 16, 2009, apartment review of Alta Gardens Apartments in Houston, TX
*looks at the location of the apartment complex*

Okay, this has to be one of the worst examples I have ever seen. Now, if they had built this, say at 288 at McHard or 288 at CR59, then you'd have something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston