Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 03:17 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times

Advertisements

TVC15: I wasn't saying that the government forbids airlines from setting prices. The market forces airlines to keep prices low. If one airline tries to raise prices, people using Orbitz or Travelocity will simply choose another airline with the lower price. That is how airlines are forced to have similar prices.

If Continental and United merge, that is one less airline, and it makes it more likely for airlines to raise fares.

[quote=TVC15;14031253]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
The airlines put fees in because they couldn't raise prices. They can make however much money they want from fees, but the reason why they have the fees to begin with is a lack of pricing power.

>That is an incorrect statement. Airlines can set their fares to whatever they want. After the airlines were deregulated in 1978 they were free to set their own fares once the CAB was dissolved. It allowed competition...one of the main goals of the 1978 Deregulation Act.

Air Transportation: Deregulation and Its Consequences (http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Commercial_Aviation/Dereg/Tran8.htm - broken link)

Airline Deregulation: The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics | Library of Economics and Liberty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
[quote=Vicman;14034684]TVC15: I wasn't saying that the government forbids airlines from setting prices.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,147 times
Hi everybody. I have been following the interesting comments on this thread for sometime and, as a lifelong resident of Chicago, wanted to clarify a few stats about my town that have been mentioned here. One, while the Port of Houston is second largest in the country by tonnage, Chicago is the world's third largest intermodal port (cargo moved by ship, plane, train and truck) in the world behind Singapore and Hong Kong. We also have 28 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the Chicago area which include Kraft, Walgreens, Abbott Labs, McDonalds, Motorola, Boeing and United among many others. In addition to those companies we have many privately held firms such as Miller/Coors that would qualify for the list if they were publically traded.

I travel to Houston often and admire the business climate and the low cost of operating there, however Chicago still has the muscle and prestige of being a world class financial and transportation center. Downtown Chicago also offers far more attractions than downtown Houston; imagine the Galleria, Museum Circle and all of downtown Houston combined into one. Michigan Avenue, the Loop and great museums, shops, restaurants and other attractions are all an easy walk from each other. Houston still can grow and mature into that type of city but it simply is not there yet.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:34 PM

90 posts, read 236,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiguy1 View Post
Hi everybody. I have been following the interesting comments on this thread for sometime and, as a lifelong resident of Chicago, wanted to clarify a few stats about my town that have been mentioned here. One, while the Port of Houston is second largest in the country by tonnage, Chicago is the world's third largest intermodal port (cargo moved by ship, plane, train and truck) in the world behind Singapore and Hong Kong. We also have 28 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the Chicago area which include Kraft, Walgreens, Abbott Labs, McDonalds, Motorola, Boeing and United among many others. In addition to those companies we have many privately held firms such as Miller/Coors that would qualify for the list if they were publically traded.

I travel to Houston often and admire the business climate and the low cost of operating there, however Chicago still has the muscle and prestige of being a world class financial and transportation center. Downtown Chicago also offers far more attractions than downtown Houston; imagine the Galleria, Museum Circle and all of downtown Houston combined into one. Michigan Avenue, the Loop and great museums, shops, restaurants and other attractions are all an easy walk from each other. Houston still can grow and mature into that type of city but it simply is not there yet.
No body said very much about Chicago ... I will suggest you go home to your Chicago forum now.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcash View Post
No body said very much about Chicago ... I will suggest you go home to your Chicago forum now.
Well, that was unnecessary.

jchiguy1 offered some comments from a Chicagoan perspective without bashing Houston. That's more than I can say from many Houston residents!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:20 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
^ I know...jeeeze.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
jchiguy1 pretty much covered why the new HQ will be in Chicago. There is simply no debating any of that.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:40 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchiguy1 View Post

When i first began to read your post, i thought you were actually about to add something meaningful to the discussion. I ended up pretty disappointed.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
That has been known since the begginning of the merger talk. Houston might lose one bank of domestic flights, but they will not lose any destinations.

The hurt is for the city of Houston, not IAH.
I don't see how it will hurt the City of Houston. Continentals lease was up in their downtown office tower months ago, hence the reason their logo isn't projected on the roof with blue flood lights anymore.

They've been cutting back ever since this recession began back in 08.

I think you're meaning to say it will hurt Houston's image, which it won't.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,233 times
We're losing a huge company. I don't think that's something that can be taken lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston