Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 08:54 AM

45 posts, read 124,055 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with the St James condos downtown? Anyone live there?
How are they? Are they safe? Do families with chidren live there?
We were contemplating on buying a home or condo but we have small children.
I like the idea of being close to everything downtown and not having grass to cut but I'm unsure.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,948,424 times
I know of a couple of people who live there and they seem to love it. It is very safe there and you can't beat the convenience. I think that after a certain time of day, they even have an attendant at the front desk for improved safety. The people I know of that live there are mostly retired or young professionals but there may be some families there as well. There is a roof top garden there if you miss the grass too much and Ritter Park is only 9 blocks away and a very easy walk. There is a Downtown Huntington Neighborhood Association now as well that you could maybe ask some of these questions to in order to get better answers.

If you like the convenience and living downtown suits your life style, I say go for it. Hope this helps.

Huntington

Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 PM

45 posts, read 75,287 times
tbailey what is your take on the Federal Building issue and the mail center forced moving? I can't believe that the Federal Government will not give an exemption on the ruling that the personel need to be moved to a bomb resistant structure while their building is being upgraded to a bomb resistant structrue. I hope the city and all involved will think ourside the box on this issue and solve it!
rlb4htown

Old 10-01-2010, 09:27 PM

I think that both issues are quite sad actually. The Huntington Mail Center is one of the most efficient in the nation and the one is Charleston is one of the least efficient. Even the workers at the Charleston center pointed this out and showed how this would make them even less efficient and delay mail delivery further than it already is. That's often the way that our government works though isn't it? It closes offices or programs that are efficient and work over those that are less efficient and provide less of a service. It's all about who has the power in that case and obviously Charleston has the power and they are using it to take care of themselves at Huntington's expense.

As to the Federal Building, an editorial in the H-D said it best when they referred to the fact that the government would not let them move to a building that didn't meet security requirements even though their current building does not meet those same requirements. For the $32 million being spent on renovations, one would think that they could build a brand new building in Huntington not far from the current site and be a part of the downtown revitalization. They recently tore down two older buildings on 4th Ave that would make a good site and the plot of land were the Emmons buildings used to be would also make a good site. It seems that it would make more sense to pay for their own buiding and own it rather than making $32 million in improvements to a building that they are leasing. Even if they move, they will have to build a new building because no building would meet their standards other than one that they have built. It seems like another case where someone may be trying to serve their own purposes rather than that of the people they serve.

Good to see someone else from Huntington on the board. Hope you will post more in the future.

Tim

Old 10-03-2010, 06:59 AM

Here's a good opinion piece on the Huntington Post Office situation FYI:

David E. Daniel: Postal service should consider alternative - The Herald Dispatch

Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,040,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I think that both issues are quite sad actually. The Huntington Mail Center is one of the most efficient in the nation and the one is Charleston is one of the least efficient. Even the workers at the Charleston center pointed this out and showed how this would make them even less efficient and delay mail delivery further than it already is. That's often the way that our government works though isn't it? It closes offices or programs that are efficient and work over those that are less efficient and provide less of a service. It's all about who has the power in that case and obviously Charleston has the power and they are using it to take care of themselves at Huntington's expense.

As to the Federal Building, an editorial in the H-D said it best when they referred to the fact that the government would not let them move to a building that didn't meet security requirements even though their current building does not meet those same requirements. For the $32 million being spent on renovations, one would think that they could build a brand new building in Huntington not far from the current site and be a part of the downtown revitalization. They recently tore down two older buildings on 4th Ave that would make a good site and the plot of land were the Emmons buildings used to be would also make a good site. It seems that it would make more sense to pay for their own buiding and own it rather than making $32 million in improvements to a building that they are leasing. Even if they move, they will have to build a new building because no building would meet their standards other than one that they have built. It seems like another case where someone may be trying to serve their own purposes rather than that of the people they serve.

Good to see someone else from Huntington on the board. Hope you will post more in the future.

Tim
What you're seeing in Huntington doesn't surprise me. The Post Office seems disposed to do some incredibly stupid things. Here in Morgantown, they closed down the former Post Office (it was a relatively new building in good condition... perhaps 30 years old) that was large, had excellent storage and lobby facilities and moved their downtown operations to a rented location that is always crowded (people are often squeezed together almost out to the parking lot) and for which they must pay high rent. To top it off, they are basically giving away the former location. They do this stuff, then cry poor all the time and raise postage rates for the general public, while subsidizing rates for junk mail patrons.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Tbailey, As I see it the main issues at this time regarding Huntington are the follownig:

1. Will Rahall have enough push to get the corp of engineers building issues fixed
2. Can the state get the intermodel facility built in Prichard
3. Can the city push through and develop the baseball field/hotel complex (which I am understanding is starting to draw opposition...of coarse)
4. Can Kinetic park get some construction going now that the sewer line is being enlarged and the "technology" requirement has been lifted (which is good news)
5. When will Marshall start remodeling the "stone & thomas" building?
6. God bless the mayor so he can come up with some way to get taxes raised fairly so the city can get moving toward recovery. People are going to have to bite the bullet on this on somehow. Things can't continue to decline along with avaliable money. People need to feel safe, and have good roads and services....it is a must.
7. How is the D-Tv center coming on 5th street hill?
8. Will the Law firm that has down payment money really fix the "city hall annex" building into a beautiful structure to compliment the other upgrades going on.
9. Is the Love Hardware building going to be done and how is it coming.
10. Who will purchase the beautiful corner building next to the elks club. what a beautiful marble building and falling into disrepair like mad...sorry thing..

What can you tell me and what do you think?
Have a great day
RLB

Old 10-21-2010, 05:28 PM

64 posts, read 320,946 times
I have a friend that lives in the St. james building. He loves it there. Security is good and the roof top area is nice. As for safety, there are several bars in the downtown area and that coupled with Marshall University being just 5 blocks away tends to make for trouble from time to time. I dont have any info on kids in St. James.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb4htown View Post
Tbailey, As I see it the main issues at this time regarding Huntington are the follownig:

1. Will Rahall have enough push to get the corp of engineers building issues fixed
As with most government projects, it depends on what the people with the highest connections want. If the Corps can't stay in their current location, a new building will have to be built regardless so there is no reason not to just build in Huntington.

Quote:
2. Can the state get the intermodel facility built in Prichard
They can build it and I believe they will but it likely won't be as big as it should be to really capitalize on the double stackers and great transportation in the area. This could bring so many spin-off jobs if they do it right.

Heartland Corridor up and running - The Herald Dispatch

State official takes post at MU maritime center - The Herald Dispatch

Sites plan to bring rail, trucks, river together - The Herald Dispatch

Quote:
3. Can the city push through and develop the baseball field/hotel complex (which I am understanding is starting to draw opposition...of coarse)
I think it will get done. A lot of pieces have to fall into place for the scale they are planning, but even if they develop half of what is currently planned, it will be better than an empty old industrial center providing no current benefit to the area.

Stadium project, arena work get boost - The Herald Dispatch

Quote:
4. Can Kinetic park get some construction going now that the sewer line is being enlarged and the "technology" requirement has been lifted (which is good news)
Four new businesses are currently in negotiations to locate in Kinetic Park. This will greatly help the attraction to KP, especially when the Rahall data center and broadband infrastructure upgrades are in place.

Quote:
5. When will Marshall start remodeling the "stone & thomas" building?
They have applied for $8 million in Federal Funds for the renovation. My guess would be when they have the money in place, the project will start. Hopefully this is sooner rather than later.

Quote:
6. God bless the mayor so he can come up with some way to get taxes raised fairly so the city can get moving toward recovery. People are going to have to bite the bullet on this on somehow. Things can't continue to decline along with avaliable money. People need to feel safe, and have good roads and services....it is a must.
People need to quit thinking solely about how things will affect them here and now rather than what things will do for the future. This is part of why Huntington has lost the opportunities that it has, too many people worried about the here and now rather than the future. No one wants to pay more taxes but WV needs other funding alternative for cities and counties other than B&O taxes and Equipment taxes. This only runs companies off. Tax reform is recommended by every economic study on the state but too many politicians continue to ignore the subject. Taxes are necessary to fund services. More jobs equals more people and more tax money being brought in. Without a better tax environment and legal environment, WV will always be near the bottom of the economic categories.

Quote:
7. How is the D-Tv center coming on 5th street hill?
This project is nearing the completion of the first phase, which is to move DirectTV. Once that is done, they will begin work on the old Arch Coal building for MCTC. I'm also hearing that a gas station is going in on the property as well as some potential restaurants to take advantage of the easy access to I-64 and the many more people who will be in the area due to jobs.

Quote:
8. Will the Law firm that has down payment money really fix the "city hall annex" building into a beautiful structure to compliment the other upgrades going on.
They are still in the inspection process but if they buy it, I'm sure they will renovate it. The proximity to City Hall, the County Courthouse and the Federal Courthouse is just too convenient.

Quote:
9. Is the Love Hardware building going to be done and how is it coming.
The old Love Hardware Building is nearly done after the construction company had to redo some of the exterior mortar lines for the bricks and then repaint it. I would imagine this project will be done by the end of the year.

Quote:
10. Who will purchase the beautiful corner building next to the elks club. what a beautiful marble building and falling into disrepair like mad...sorry thing..
A company already owns the building, it's just a matter of them renovating it. The building is owned by Universal Holdings and they are supposedly thinking of turning it into condos. It is a beautiful building and a waste to sit nearly empty, but again it is so by the choice of the owner. The exterior of the building is actually porcelain.

Universal Holdings LLC --- Huntington, WV* 304-399-0189

Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM

Tim, thanks for the information. You appear to be in the know on most things. Not living in town limits my ability on quite a few topics. One does get a little upset with the majoity of individuals that have at some time lived or worked in Huntington. The constant "poor Huntingoton, it is really sad how it is wasting away", etc, etc., really gets me sometimes. I know one developer constructed some homes/apartments around 16th street (Hal Greer) and Washington. The housed blended with the area and the units were filled up as soon as they were done. I remember reading an article on the developer and thought he had the right idea. Creating "row homes" or apartments designed on that concept would really help in many communities in the city. The age of the existing structures dictates that developers begin to come up with designs that blend with the existing architecture. The Southside could actually expand instead of dwindle as homes are removed.

Just reading the requests people have on these forums shows the desire of many to find a home that is not just cheap, but is reasonable and near downtown. The units downtown are expensive because Huntington only recently began to build this type of condo/home. Charlotte and other bigger cities have done this for some time. I am convenced that homes would sell around the city, but someone must get the vision and the locals need to put some money behind the effort. Young professionals love the Southside but other areas would be just as nice if new homes filled the holes that presently exist.

Well again, thanks for the information and keep telling the truth about the beautiful Huntington and those fighting to make it a better place.

Richard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington