Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2024, 05:11 PM

43 posts, read 10,078 times

Advertisements

I've heard that before but, like you said, that is the traditionally minority neighborhood so it would be a politically dicey move. I think it would ultimately be good for Huntington as a whole, but if they were going to gentrify the area I would hope they go above and beyond for the residents currently living there. At the end of the day, it is private property and the owners can sell for the development if they want.

With how much of a clamoring there is in Huntington about the housing shortage, I think it would be very successful if done correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2024, 05:25 PM

5,021 posts, read 9,061,629 times
When it comes to development in neighborhoods, I think it's always a tricky thing. Anytime you start to improve things, you obviously raise home and property values and for those living in those areas it means increases in taxes and/or rent. Sometimes those living there can't afford this and have to move. The only solution to keeping housing and rent cheap in those areas is to limit the improvements. But in doing that, you limit opportunities for jobs and things like new grocery stores etc. This is especially true when you look at things like businesses do. The first thing that they do when looking at moving into a city or neighborhood, they look at that area statistically. What's the average salary, the average education level, the average home value, etc. When these things are all low, the ability for the people in that area to spend on said business is often limited. Combine that with the negative aspect of those areas often having higher crime and many businesses will choose to go elsewhere.

As you stated though jb, if they put a large, gated community in the area that they are discussing this would likely raise all of those metrics and make things more attractive to outside businesses and development. That area has already seen tremendous transformation over the last few years and Mayor Willams is on record saying that in 5-10 years, someone who hasn't driven down Hal Greer in 10+ years won't recognize it. It's difficult to make those kind of improvements and not see property values increase. Heck, a few years ago when they tore down a bunch of houses in that area that alone increased property values something like 300%! The last year or so is the first time living in city limits that I've actually felt that real estate inside the city could be seen as a good investment for the average person. I love living here with no plans to ever move. For the average person though, they want to know that if/when they sell their house in a few years, they will make a good profit off of it. There were always so many questions about the job market, what about the houses around you, etc that made a return on investment minimal. Now though, I'm regularly seeing houses go for $5,000-$15,000 over asking price. That has helped to spur a lot of the new townhouses being built in the area.

As far as the grocery store, I too have heard rumors of a Kroger Marketplace and a Publix. If we could land both of those and then get some smaller store in the neighborhoods like Liddl, etc, I think that would be a great thing. I'm still hoping for that large development between exits 8 and 11 that could bring some nice, new stores to the area as well.

Last edited by tbailey1138; 05-22-2024 at 06:43 PM..

Old 05-22-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
When it comes to development in neighborhoods, I think it's always a tricky thing. Anytime you start to improve things, you obviously raise home and property values and for those living in those areas it means increases in taxes and/or rent. Sometimes those living there can't afford this and have to move. The only solution to keeping housing and rent cheap in those areas is to limit the improvements. But in doing that, you limit opportunities for jobs and things like new grocery stores etc. This is especially true when you look at things like businesses do. The first thing that they do when looking at moving into a city or neighborhood, they look at that area statistically. What's the average salary, the average education level, the average home value, etc. When these things are all low, the ability for the people in that area to spend on said business is often limited. Combine that with the negative aspect of those areas often having higher crime and many businesses will choose to go elsewhere.

As you stated though jb, if they put a large, gated community in the area that they are discussing this would likely raise all of those metrics and make things more attractive to outside businesses and development. That area has already seen tremendous transformation over the last few years and Mayor Willams is on record saying that in 5-10 years, someone who hasn't driven down Hal Greer in 10+ years won't recognize it. It's difficult to make those kind of improvements and not see property values increase. Heck, a few years ago when they tore down a bunch of houses in that area that alone increased property values something like 300%! The last year or so is the first time living in city limits that I've actually felt that real estate inside the city could be seen as a good investment for the average person. I love living here with no plans to ever move. For the average person though, they want to know that if/when they sell their house in a few years, they will make a good profit off of it. There were always so many questions about the job market, what about the houses around you, etc that made a return on investment minimal. Now though, I'm regularly seeing houses go for $5,000-$15,000 over asking price. That has helped to spur a lot of the new townhouses being built in the area.
Well said and I completely agree with all your points. Growth and development come with a price, but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages by a mile.

Old 05-22-2024, 06:37 PM

75 posts, read 15,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post

As far as the grocery store, I too have heard rumors of a Kroger Marketplace and a Publix. If we could land both of those and then get some smaller store in the neighborhoods like Liddl, etc, I think that would be a great thing. I'm still hoping for that large development between exits 8 and 11 that could bring some nice, new stores to the are as well.
Great post! Hit the nail on the head.

Old 05-24-2024, 12:18 PM

There was an article in the HD yesterday announcing HADCO has received a nearly $400k grant from the feds to clean up the old soccer/track field behind St. Mary's nursing school for redevelopment. That is a great piece of property for a business to grab between the easy Rt. 60 access, population density, and proximity to businesses (CSX, Mt. Mary's, etc.). I hope they put up a shell structure to have it ready to go.

Old 05-24-2024, 07:48 PM

There are lots of potential uses for sure. If nothing else, they could build a shared track and football field for Huntington Middle and Huntington East Middle.

Old 05-25-2024, 06:41 AM

89 posts, read 62,980 times
It’s still considered Huntington so I wonder if anyone knows. They knocked down an old car lot right across family dollar on Waverly Road. It is a pretty big space and they are building something. Just wondered if anyone heard anything.

Old 05-25-2024, 11:19 AM

I believe it’s supposed to be a Dollar General Market. Not a huge grocery store but something to at least fill the void a little.

Old 05-26-2024, 01:46 PM

75 posts, read 15,356 times
BPI was back at the Morris Building today. This time the trailer was open with a "no trespassing" sign out. No new permits posted though.

Old 05-27-2024, 02:04 PM

Hopefully they are in their assessment phase and will be moving into the construction phase shortly. That building is in too good of a spot and has too many nice architectural elements to be left sitting empty like it has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington