Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2024, 05:51 AM

63 posts, read 9,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Same here. I think Farrell would do a better job of taking a measured approach and going after improvements that he sees as necessary but I think Wheeler would do a good job as well. The thing that impresses me about Farrell is that he does his homework on a subject and then takes that info to come up with a plan. My biggest fear with him is that he might put too many eggs in the Marshall basket, so to speak. I feel like Morgantown did that with WVU in the 90s. This lead to some good short-term growth for them but it would be questionable long-term.

Whoever our new mayor is, my hope is that they can bring some new large retail development on the outskirts, diversify the economy with some more blue collar jobs and work on building up our neighborhoods through redevelopment. Too often, political leaders just throw something out there to see what sticks, don't have enough vision combined with action or they are afraid to approach a subject because it might not get them votes next time around. We need a leader who will be aggressive with recruiting new business opportunities to town and who will also go after the needed changes whether it brings them votes or not. I also wouldn't mind seeing Williams as governor because I feel like he would fight for changes that our larger cities in the state need moving forward. I strongly believe that for our state to succeed, ALL of our larger cities need to see some growth. With a legislature that is already talking about taking home rule away, we need a governor that will fight that and actually help our cities grow instead of impeding them.
Getting rid of the Home Rule would be absolutely moronic. I can't find anything on them getting rid of it, so hopefully it's just them talking to talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 10:47 AM

5,001 posts, read 9,018,404 times
It was a comment made by a legislator in and article I read from the most recent session. It was something to the effect of people living outside the municipalities not liking the fact that they pay a user fee and sales tax and we might need to revisit that and home rule. I’ll keep looking to see where I saw the quote. Taking that away would be disastrous to our cities, especially on those grounds. It would be like me complaining to federal leaders that I don’t like paying taxes to Ohio or Kentucky for things I buy in those states.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
It was a comment made by a legislator in and article I read from the most recent session. It was something to the effect of people living outside the municipalities not liking the fact that they pay a user fee and sales tax and we might need to revisit that and home rule. I’ll keep looking to see where I saw the quote. Taking that away would be disastrous to our cities, especially on those grounds. It would be like me complaining to federal leaders that I don’t like paying taxes to Ohio or Kentucky for things I buy in those states.
The vast majority of the states have the home rule. It's constitutional opposed to statutory, so hopefully that helps in making it difficult to get rid of.

Old 05-11-2024, 02:39 PM

There is currently a truck and trailer from BPI in front of the building on the corner of fourth and 9th. People going in and out with hard hats and safety vests. I wonder if they are finally remodeling.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:08 PM

The Morris Building? If so, that’s great news!

Old 05-11-2024, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The Morris Building? If so, that’s great news!
Yup, I was heading into Breathe and saw a 2500 Chevy (I think) and a large trailer. Maybe three gentlemen going in with yellow vests and hard hats. They left about an hour later, possibly checking it out? Google says BPI is out of Hurricane and a general contractor for construction.

Old 05-12-2024, 10:05 PM

66 posts, read 71,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbabbington96 View Post
Yup, I was heading into Breathe and saw a 2500 Chevy (I think) and a large trailer. Maybe three gentlemen going in with yellow vests and hard hats. They left about an hour later, possibly checking it out? Google says BPI is out of Hurricane and a general contractor for construction.
Yes, i know BPI, they do a lot of interior building design and remodel. Very interesting.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:37 PM

When I drove by yesterday, I saw what looked like a construction permit on one of the doors of the Morris Building. If I get a chance this week, I’ll try to walk by and see what it says.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
When I drove by yesterday, I saw what looked like a construction permit on one of the doors of the Morris Building. If I get a chance this week, I’ll try to walk by and see what it says.
If you're referring to the one on the 9th St side, it's a permit from 2019.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbabbington96 View Post
If you're referring to the one on the 9th St side, it's a permit from 2019.
No, this one was on the 4th Ave side. It could be old but I don’t ever remember seeing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington