Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2013, 11:02 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times

Advertisements

Great news for MU academics. If you include the recent news regarding the MU Health Informatics graduate program receiving its national accreditation, becoming only the third school nationally to do so, the university has gained some significant coverage and respect over the last couple of months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Great news for MU academics. If you include the recent news regarding the MU Health Informatics graduate program receiving its national accreditation, becoming only the third school nationally to do so, the university has gained some significant coverage and respect over the last couple of months.
Healthcare informatics in most schools is a specialization of Information Systems grad degrees instead of its own program.

In relation to the subject foresnsics, i hope they focus on financial/accounting forensics and cyber forensics. That is where the vast majority of jobs are and will continue to be. The lab and crime type forensics that Marshall has focused on in the past is not a good area to enter as it is very hard to get a job in that area, pay isnt great, and you dont need a specialized forensic degree to get those jobs.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 AM

MU has a concentration in Digital Forensics and I believe it is one of the few schools that has that type of program.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
MU has a concentration in Digital Forensics and I believe it is one of the few schools that has that type of program.
Usually computer forensics is an element of computer security taught under computer science, or information systems.

You would be much better off getting a degree in computer security as you would learn the skills to do computer forensics along with many more areas. Specializing in computer forensics limits one to just computer forensics which while growing is still a hard field to get a job in.

At the most you really just need a certification. Marshall keeps turning niche areas that one can learn with a few classes into whole degrees.

I personally think that is a scam.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:30 PM

6,079 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Nice going MU, no doubt a nice accolade for the institution.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Digital forensics first to be accredited - The Herald Dispatch

Marshall University and the West Virginia State Police receive the 2012 United States Attorney

$5.4M Awarded to Marshall University Forensic Science Center

Goodwin touts Marshall University crime lab » Cumberland Times-News

These are some links to other accolades, promotion and awards that have been given to the MU Digital Forensics program.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Not wanting to rain on anybody's parade, I think it is important to note that their test scores were only measured against those of other schools that took the test. There are a lot more than 15 graduate programs in criminal justice in the country, so that can't be used to say they are #1 in the Nation.

It is nice that they scored so nicely on a standardized test in relation to the other 14 schools that participated though. I'm wondering how many schools have applied for the accreditation they have received?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Not wanting to rain on anybody's parade, I think it is important to note that their test scores were only measured against those of other schools that took the test. There are a lot more than 15 graduate programs in criminal justice in the country, so that can't be used to say they are #1 in the Nation.

It is nice that they scored so nicely on a standardized test in relation to the other 14 schools that participated though. I'm wondering how many schools have applied for the accreditation they have received?
Im sure MU has a good program. The problem is it is a bad field.

Forensics is applied science, computing, and accounting.

If you majored in Biology or chemistry, or both, you would be able to do everything a forensic major does and MUCH more. Same with physics for crime scene investigation. You could collect and analysis evidence much better than forensic majors. Also if you cant get a forensic job, they are hard to get, you have lots of options to fall back on. Not for a forensic major. They have nothing.

I am very familiar with forensic accounting. 95% of it is ACCOUNTING. Stuff you learn in accounting classes. One just needs a few extra classes to understand it. The good news is if one cant work in forensic accounting they can fall back to accounting.

Same with cyber Forensics. It is just a very applied technology agree. usually you can learn all you need to know about it in 1-4 classes.

Cyber and financial forensics are were the growth is going to be, BUT they are small fields and jobs are very limited. Work experience trumps any class you took. For instance the forensic accountants I met often dont have any formal schooling in forensics. They just had an accounting background or law enforcement background and learned accounting. For cyber forensics no one I know who works in it has a forensic degree either IT degree, self taught using computers, or learned in the military.

Schools that have forensic science programs as full majors are just trying to cash in on a bad major that is very marketable due to shows like CSI. Kids watch CSI and say, "that looks so cool I want to do it," although the reality is far different from the hollywood version. You then get science teachers to tone down the science and focus on purely forensic applications of common procedures.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:29 AM

CT the digital forensics program/certification at MU isn't part of the graduate CJ program. They are separate graduate programs. The Digital Forensics concentration is part of the Forensics program in the College of Science.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
CT the digital forensics program/certification at MU isn't part of thtaduate CJ program. They are separate graduate programs. The Digital Forensics concentration is part of the Forensics program in the College of Science.
That makes more sense. It should really be a certification and not a specialization. Perhaps include digital forensic classes as part of a security concentration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington