Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:06 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
No one knows if you are bad. But you do sound angry.
(and maybe my English syntax is not working well for the internet)

raj
Well, obviously you did not read your initial response to me.....that would be anger....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 06:15 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, obviously you did not read your initial response to me.....that would be anger....

No, the above from you is continuing anger.

My post was perhaps an unfortunate choice of words, malice, no. The internet is more congenial if we leave just a little room for doubt. And you were right in your post to Tourian, it is probably time to let this drop. (I am not directing that to you, but to me)

raj

Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 PM

If you never would have responded the way that YOU did, to my 2 word response...we would not be here....would we?

Quote:
No, the above from you is continuing anger.

My post was perhaps an unfortunate choice of words, malice, no. The internet is more congenial if we leave just a little room for doubt. And you were right in your post to Tourian, it is probably time to let this drop. (I am not directing that to you, but to me)

raj
Lets recap.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Destin............................................ .Florida?
My question to you^^^^^

Your response below (to my question above), and you are telling me...after the response below, I'm the one that is angry?

Quote:
You must be from afar.

You do realize that a market area is the reach that businesses have within a geographic area. In this case, someone in Dothan is as likely to go to Bass Pro in Destin as they are in Prattville. (Montgomery)

Alabamans outnumber all other people from other places on the Fla. panhandle. (the panhandle borders only one state; yes, Alabama) And you do realize that Alabama also goes to the Gulf of Mexico.

They also own plenty of homes and plenty of businesses. So, yes it is very much in the sphere of influence of the shoppers from Alabama, just as the people along the coast come inland for serious shopping not available on the coast. (it is still a seasonal economy down there)

Alabama's second largest metro area sits right on the border, so that alone accounts for an awful lot of interstate commerce.

I hope this clarifies what I meant for you. (no, I do not think Destin is in Alabama)

raj

Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,037,939 times
You guys really care a lot about this, huh?

Old 03-14-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
You guys really care a lot about this, huh?
What?

Old 03-16-2014, 12:54 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,431,570 times
I'd post a link to a Decatur Daily article about how public money will be used to get the development to Decatur - not Huntsville - in Limestone County - not Madison County, but I really think nobody gives a damn.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I'd post a link to a Decatur Daily article about how public money will be used to get the development to Decatur - not Huntsville - in Limestone County - not Madison County, but I really think nobody gives a damn.
So, I'll ask...

Do you really think it would not develop Huntsville/Limestone/Madison area?

Old 03-16-2014, 04:39 PM

482 posts, read 991,601 times
It'll take a lot of public money to get the deal done, but any big retail like this is great for all of the surrounding areas. Especially seeing as how Huntsville has land VERY close that may get development moving due to Sweetwater.

It comes down to a decision that every elected official or municipality has to decide. Is it better for the people to spend their money to get a big retail development such as Sweetwater (or any industrial development like Remington) and get the benefits and supplemental jobs and retail that follow? Or, is it better to keep the money and get nothing?

Old 03-17-2014, 10:18 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,261 times
I generally don't have issues with public money into industrial business. Generally speaking, Industrial business (like remington) adds more business because it requres shipping, parts suppliers...etc to come to the area.

Public money pumped into retail, especially just one business, takes forever to recover. What they are betting is that other businesses will come too. I don't see Bass pro shops, in and of itself, bring other businesses. I've seen some bass pro shops that are completely stand alone with nothing around them.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,059,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I generally don't have issues with public money into industrial business. Generally speaking, Industrial business (like remington) adds more business because it requres shipping, parts suppliers...etc to come to the area.

Public money pumped into retail, especially just one business, takes forever to recover. What they are betting is that other businesses will come too. I don't see Bass pro shops, in and of itself, bring other businesses. I've seen some bass pro shops that are completely stand alone with nothing around them.
I agree. These are not "producing" jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area