Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM

482 posts, read 991,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I generally don't have issues with public money into industrial business. Generally speaking, Industrial business (like remington) adds more business because it requres shipping, parts suppliers...etc to come to the area.

Public money pumped into retail, especially just one business, takes forever to recover. What they are betting is that other businesses will come too. I don't see Bass pro shops, in and of itself, bring other businesses. I've seen some bass pro shops that are completely stand alone with nothing around them.
It deserves to be mentioned that many job creators take into consideration the retail situation of an area when they're choosing a site. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the workforce, but more so the quality of life and attraction of an area. I'm not ready to say one way or another whether this deal makes sense until all the details come out (there are still plenty left), but the above is something to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:11 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,269,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I generally don't have issues with public money into industrial business. Generally speaking, Industrial business (like remington) adds more business because it requres shipping, parts suppliers...etc to come to the area.

Public money pumped into retail, especially just one business, takes forever to recover. What they are betting is that other businesses will come too. I don't see Bass pro shops, in and of itself, bring other businesses. I've seen some bass pro shops that are completely stand alone with nothing around them.
Leeds spent nearly $25 MILLION to bring Bass Pro Shops there, and then Grand River followed. They are getting ready to begin developing the adjoining 6500 acres out there....what they are planning to do is similar to Ross Bridge, but it will actually be larger with more SFD if all goes as they have planned...mixed use with restaurants, retail, parks apartments, SF homes, and a new school.

Bass Pro was the catalyst for bringing the Destin Commons development....and retail has exploded in Destin since. The Destin area literally had nothing but the outlets and some Alvins Islands before that. We lived in the area when that was going on and it is unreal to see what has come into the area in regards to new retail and restaurants...all during an absolutely horrible economy down there.

Bass Pros have a super regional draw, and other businesses will take advantage of that.

Incentives deal between Decatur/Bass Pro/developer is in this article, they were released last week:

Decatur Bass Pro Shop will be at least 100K square feet - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Last edited by LCTMadison; 03-18-2014 at 04:30 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Parker View Post
It deserves to be mentioned that many job creators take into consideration the retail situation of an area when they're choosing a site. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the workforce, but more so the quality of life and attraction of an area. I'm not ready to say one way or another whether this deal makes sense until all the details come out (there are still plenty left), but the above is something to think about.
I kinda get that, but I don't think it should take millions to get a business here. I honestly don't think large businesses care, such as Toyota, about the quality of life in Huntsville. What they cared about was if Huntsville could provide the skilled workforce and what sort of incentives the city was going to give. I doubt Remington or Toyota cared about a bass pro shop.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,791,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Leeds spent nearly $25 MILLION to bring Bass Pro Shops there, and then Grand River followed. They are getting ready to begin developing the adjoining 6500 acres out there....what they are planning to do is similar to Ross Bridge, but it will actually be larger with more SFD if all goes as they have planned...mixed use with restaurants, retail, parks apartments, SF homes, and a new school.

Bass Pro was the catalyst for bringing the Destin Commons development....and retail has exploded in Destin since. The Destin area literally had nothing but the outlets and some Alvins Islands before that. We lived in the area when that was going on and it is unreal to see what has come into the area in regards to new retail and restaurants...all during an absolutely horrible economy down there.

Bass Pros have a super regional draw, and other businesses will take advantage of that.

Incentives deal between Decatur/Bass Pro/developer is in this article, they were released last week:

Decatur Bass Pro Shop will be at least 100K square feet - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Destin's a whole 'nother animal though. Lots of folks go there for vacation. So, its an added bonus or a better attraction over panama city, for example, to bring in business. Huntsville? Not so much. Will it bring in retail dollars? Sure. But there is not multiplying factor into that business that there is with industrial. People who live in this area who'd go to a Bass pro shop somewhere else will just come to this one instead. If there is enough other retail businesses around, it might draw more people, but nothing on the scale of Destin. People, like me, choose the beach they go to based on many factors. People generally just don't go to Decatur or Huntsville as a matter of tourism.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaboy208 View Post
I was reading in the paper today that Bass Pro Shops is still planning on building in Decatur. An attorney who is working with the developers says that his clients hope to begin construction this year. I got to see this to believe it! This has been in the works since August 2008. I am not going to get my hopes up just yet. When i see dirt moved then i will.
I wouldn't hold my breath, either.

They were supposed to build a store in Buffalo, NY back about 7 or 8 years ago, and that finally fell through.

They were supposed to build a store in suburban Pittsburgh, PA at about the same time, and that one was never built either.

IMO, BP strings local communities along for years attempting to get more and more concessions until they basically get a store built for free and no future taxes. When they want to get into a big market badly enough, they don't dither. They started their suburban Toronto store after the Buffalo and Pittsburgh stores were announced and opened it about a year later.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
They have been rasslin' with this for a while. I'm not quite sure how long but it is looking good. I think it took Leeds over 6 years of negotiations to come up with enough scratch and we are still waiting on the hotel and the 3 restaurants but I think they'll show now that the economy is heading up and Daniel Corp is going to develop the Grand River communtiy.

Sweetwater was supposed to dwarf Bridgestreet and be second only to the Galleria in size. We'll see.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,429,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
They have been rasslin' with this for a while. I'm not quite sure how long but it is looking good. I think it took Leeds over 6 years of negotiations...
I believe it's been at least 6 years since originally announced. With a giant upheaval in the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Sweetwater was supposed to dwarf Bridgestreet and be second only to the Galleria in size. We'll see.
Well I believe that was a pie-in-the-sky, years-down-the-road scenario dreamed up by some of the reporters, not something that would all be built at once.

I think most everybody here is just shouting at each other and not really interested in the development, but here's a thoughtful analysis of the financing, if you care to read it: How much risk involved in Bass Pro deal? - Decatur Daily: Local News

I disagree that there's little market. Ya'll don't understand how many people come here to fish, especially for bass. Tournaments have a HUGE financial impact. Once Decatur built its new launch facility, it was quickly booked with tournaments.
Not to mention the local folks that go out almost every day because we're right here on this great river.

Also barely tapped is the big recreational market. Unless you have a boat, you probably only go near the river when you drive over it. The wildlife refuge takes up most of our riverbanks, but a big park that has the river as its focus - with a harbor, rental docks, and other facilities that focus on enjoying the Tennessee River is badly needed. Look at how quickly the facilities at Joe Wheeler, Lucy's Branch, Decatur harbor, and Ditto Landing filled when they opened.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Hunting and fishing is huge is this part of the area. We have Academy sport and the basics (wal-mart, other little stores) but nothing that compares to what a BP can bring. This area needs a very big discount place to buy outdoor "stuff."

Me and my son just spent at least 3 hours walking aound the Nashville store Saturday....

Heck, when my job brings me to differents states, I look to see if a BP is near and I'll go visit.

Also, with as much water there is around here, there really is not a "big boat" company that sells the daily basic boat "stuff."

I think it would be a great thing for the area, in that area, with all the traffic going throught....that maybe what is needed to ensure that other things fill in between 65 and the new county line road exit......

Old 03-19-2014, 01:54 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post

I think most everybody here is just shouting at each other and not really interested in the development, but here's a thoughtful analysis of the financing, if you care to read it: How much risk involved in Bass Pro deal? - Decatur Daily: Local News

I disagree that there's little market. Ya'll don't understand how many people come here to fish, especially for bass. Tournaments have a HUGE financial impact. Once Decatur built its new launch facility, it was quickly booked with tournaments.
That article makes it seem as if the risks aren't that great. It all just depends on which side you stand. If they spend one dollar on it it is still corporate welfare. But these guys have built such a powerful brand that maybe it is just the ultimate form of capitalism in that municipalities will pay and pave the way for them to come in. Still, to paraphrase what one author said in one of the dozens of articles I've read on Bass Pros is that the government has somewhat picked a winner in the market while all the other mom and pop places who compete don't get to suck from the teat.

I don't shop there that much. But I have to admit it is one of the most kick ass views of the city scape when you are driving in from I-20W and see it standing up on that hill - especially at dusk - along with Shops at Grand River on the right. They know how to make it look good. I'm sure they'll do the same for Sweetwater.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:55 PM

956 posts, read 745,415 times
Gander Mountain has everything you need and cheaper then Bass Pro . Just not as fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area