Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,087,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I could see driving 1/2 mile and STILL be a huge store....in this lot....

Huge lot for RV SALES.

The store is going to be one of the small stores. (bigger than Destin, which is the smallest I believe, in the AL. market area) 100,000sq ft.

But it is a good thing, and will create an awareness along I-65 that one is passing through an area that has communities. As it is , it seems totally rural with no towns fronting along the road.

I hope they get this going fast so as to squelch the inevitable public skepticism.

raj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 04:49 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,585,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
This is interesting, especially since there have been rumors we are getting a Cabela's store off Zierdt Rd.
I would have figured Cabela's would have already jumped on store here to beat out Bass.
Huntsville city limits are just across I-65. For such a major interchange to not be developed at all is
unusual.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
I would have figured Cabela's would have already jumped on store here to beat out Bass.
Huntsville city limits are just across I-65. For such a major interchange to not be developed at all is
unusual.
I don't think it is unusual because Decatur had to annex the land. And also they will commit to building up the roads and putting the RV dealer next door and a (couple?) of hotel(s) before Bass would bite. I think it took this long for a town like Decatur to commit to paying for all that. If either city already existed out there with infrastructure in place then yes, I would agree, it would be weird that interchange to not be developed.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't think it is unusual because Decatur had to annex the land. And also they will commit to building up the roads and putting the RV dealer next door and a (couple?) of hotel(s) before Bass would bite. I think it took this long for a town like Decatur to commit to paying for all that. If either city already existed out there with infrastructure in place then yes, I would agree, it would be weird that interchange to not be developed.

This is true. When traveling one passes through many major interchanges that are not developed. At least three cities in that area have raced to reach that interchange. This does not happen too often.

I personally believe that the interchange will in the end profit Decatur most as the years go by. (and not because of this one development).

raj

Old 03-11-2014, 06:52 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,780,723 times
Yes. I think Decatur will win big over the next couple of decades because of this land grab. You would thin Huntsville would have been the principal on this and made a run towards this long ago as the primary of this metro area.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,585,089 times
HSV does have the northeast corner of the interchange as well a good portion along I-65 south of the Brownsferry interchange, Athens has most of that one.
The planned Greenbriar Parkway will really change the area north of I-565 to the Brownsferry interchange

Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,037,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
This is interesting, especially since there have been rumors we are getting a Cabela's store off Zierdt Rd.
I have not heard these rumors.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,058,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreLysium View Post
I have not heard these rumors.
You just did. ;-)

Old 03-12-2014, 06:45 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj kapoor View Post
Huge lot for RV SALES.

The store is going to be one of the small stores. (bigger than Destin, which is the smallest I believe, in the AL. market area) 100,000sq ft.

But it is a good thing, and will create an awareness along I-65 that one is passing through an area that has communities. As it is , it seems totally rural with no towns fronting along the road.

I hope they get this going fast so as to squelch the inevitable public skepticism.

raj
Destin............................................ .Florida?

Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Destin............................................ .Florida?
You must be from afar.

You do realize that a market area is the reach that businesses have within a geographic area. In this case, someone in Dothan is as likely to go to Bass Pro in Destin as they are in Prattville. (Montgomery)

Alabamans outnumber all other people from other places on the Fla. panhandle. (the panhandle borders only one state; yes, Alabama) And you do realize that Alabama also goes to the Gulf of Mexico.

They also own plenty of homes and plenty of businesses. So, yes it is very much in the sphere of influence of the shoppers from Alabama, just as the people along the coast come inland for serious shopping not available on the coast. (it is still a seasonal economy down there)

Alabama's second largest metro area sits right on the border, so that alone accounts for an awful lot of interstate commerce.

I hope this clarifies what I meant for you. (no, I do not think Destin is in Alabama)

raj

Last edited by raj kapoor; 03-12-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area