Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM

166 posts, read 344,769 times

Advertisements

We bought a house in East Limestone County because I wanted to live in the country. After a year of all the driving, I've found I'm getting to despise the road trip. I miss living right in town. What is a good, newer neighborhood in Madison? I am also wanting to find a basement home in a newer subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:43 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
We used to live in a nice little neighborhood off Mill Rd called Cedar Springs. Our house was one of the few in the area that had mature trees. That was a few years ago and I loved Mill Rd because I felt out in the country but still near everything. However, I think it will be hard to find a basement home. Those are rare and it was an adjustment for me also because we had always had a basement in Atlanta and Wisconsin. The ground here and high water table makes it difficult to have a basement. Not impossible but harder and more expensive. Just remember to be sure and check out flight paths in Madison. Those big planes did maneuvers very low over us and the sound was so loud that even out cat was scared inside the house. Friday afternoons were the worse. Might have changed since then however.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,870 times
What price range do you have in mind? And Mawoods is right...good luck finding a basement around here...very few choices.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:56 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
What price range do you have in mind? And Mawoods is right...good luck finding a basement around here...very few choices.
We were driving around looking at neighborhoods/houses this weekend and I noticed that Greenbrier Woods was adverting basement lots for sale. I'm still interested to see how that neighborhood will build out. Looks like they have started selling lots to individuals...? Is that usually a bad sign...or just a sign of the times?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
We were driving around looking at neighborhoods/houses this weekend and I noticed that Greenbrier Woods was adverting basement lots for sale. I'm still interested to see how that neighborhood will build out. Looks like they have started selling lots to individuals...? Is that usually a bad sign...or just a sign of the times?
It could really go either way...With the way the HOA laws are written in our fine state, I'm wary of new developments that aren't selling.

Tomorrow night is the Concerned Homeowners Alliance Meeting at Madison City Hall on Hughes, at 6:00 pm. You should go...they will be having discussions about this very issue!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_G View Post
It could really go either way...With the way the HOA laws are written in our fine state, I'm wary of new developments that aren't selling.

Tomorrow night is the Concerned Homeowners Alliance Meeting at Madison City Hall on Hughes, at 6:00 pm. You should go...they will be having discussions about this very issue!
My wife and I are planning on buying within the next year (first home purchase) so we are seriously considering attending. Do we need to RSVP or just show up? Also, do you expect it to be a full house or should seats still be available around start time? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM

152 posts, read 498,094 times
Here is a differnt angle: why do you need a basement? Seriously, they have some value as a tornado shelter; but those are available on a new build; otherwise they are mostly a storage place. On a new build you can have extra storage space built in as a walk in attic or a larger garage. If you consider these angles you will have more choices. Worth a thought anyways...

Old 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,425,008 times
Valleymls can do advance search by style (basement ranch) - it turned up 10 hits in Madison 35758, majority expensive ($300-500k). If you search by high school, you might get the newer 35756.

Not sure if you can expand to an entire neighborhood from just one house and assume all are basement. It checked out for Clift's Cove though-but they are multilevel and even more expensive.

Maybe a realtor can explain if there's a giveway in the style of the home (e.g. the palatial Clift's Cove), or being on a hilly street, or what.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
One reason that we liked a basement home was because when you have kids and particularly teenagers , it was a great place for them to hang out but not be underfoot but still be on your property and under your eye. Put in a ping pong table, etc and it is more attractive. I can also remember plenty of slumber parties and girl parties down there. The kids could also play their music LOUD! We wanted the kids to be at our home. Bonus rooms in my opinion just don't do the same thing as basements - a location in the house but away from the general family area.

In Atlanta, the lot sort of dictated basements for the most part but in Wisconsin, the builders just dug it out. Much more expensive to do that I think. Here I understand that it is the water level and type of rock that is the difficulty.Days with tornado warnings I do miss the basement!

Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 AM

268 posts, read 704,005 times
I think alot of the historic houses have basements, if you wanted to look in those districts. Our home is over 100 years old, and we do have a wonderful daylight basement, and its always dry. We have a gym down there, and there are 3 walk in closet areas/storage as well, I'm glad to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area