Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
Do you mean Tommy's? I was sad to see them go. Have you tried Venice? Same vein (NY style), better variety, and I often had raging internal debates as to which was better.

I liked Tommy's, but I meant Tony's Little Italy, in providence. He still has a sandwich shop over off of Wall Triana and he has Gyro Uno's too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM

230 posts, read 388,573 times
I had the great fortune to dine at Bella Napoli in Nashville again this past weekend. Their quattro formaggi may well be the best pizza I have ever had.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,098,835 times
I'm hoping I can get up there real soon.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 AM

339 posts, read 629,306 times
Yogurt Mountain founder to launch new chain of pizza restaurants in cities across Alabama | AL.com

Another build your own pizza place opening in Madison off Hwy 72. The article doesn't mention where. Prices seem decent, maybe they'll have better luck than the one that just closed.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,303,017 times
I live very close to "Famous Slow-Joe's" in Madison and have been several times but refuse to ever go back. No matter if the place is half empty or empty or full, the service is slow and awful. The first couple of times I went, the food sort of made up for the poor/slow service, but the last time we went, even the food was off...and COLD!

on one of my experiences there, it was just my 2 daughters and myself. We finally got our food, ate, and were done and we waited. and waited. and waited. and waited for drink refills and a check. When the server finally stopped at our table to ask if we needed anything else, I told her refills and the check. and we waited and waited and waited and waited. when she finally came back with the check, I asked to speak to Joe (who was there twirling dough). He came to the table and wasn't apologetic about our experience, but rather he was argumentative, saying that she was one of his best servers and he was sure she didn't try to ignore us, blah, blah, blah. But he offered us free dessert, so we agreed to stay for that. and guess what? we waited. and waited. and waited. and waited. and the dessert never came. AFter being there for about 2 hours, we left. and we will vote with our feet, and NOT be walking into that establishment again.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:59 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,210,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeWilliams View Post
Yogurt Mountain founder to launch new chain of pizza restaurants in cities across Alabama | AL.com

Another build your own pizza place opening in Madison off Hwy 72. The article doesn't mention where. Prices seem decent, maybe they'll have better luck than the one that just closed.
If it is as good as Chipotle's Pizzeria Locale concept, it will be a winner. What will hurt them is if their crust sucks and it is on par with something like Subway's "pizza." I look forward to trying it out!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:02 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,210,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I live very close to "Famous Slow-Joe's" in Madison and have been several times but refuse to ever go back. No matter if the place is half empty or empty or full, the service is slow and awful. The first couple of times I went, the food sort of made up for the poor/slow service, but the last time we went, even the food was off...and COLD!

on one of my experiences there, it was just my 2 daughters and myself. We finally got our food, ate, and were done and we waited. and waited. and waited. and waited for drink refills and a check. When the server finally stopped at our table to ask if we needed anything else, I told her refills and the check. and we waited and waited and waited and waited. when she finally came back with the check, I asked to speak to Joe (who was there twirling dough). He came to the table and wasn't apologetic about our experience, but rather he was argumentative, saying that she was one of his best servers and he was sure she didn't try to ignore us, blah, blah, blah. But he offered us free dessert, so we agreed to stay for that. and guess what? we waited. and waited. and waited. and waited. and the dessert never came. AFter being there for about 2 hours, we left. and we will vote with our feet, and NOT be walking into that establishment again.
Similar experiences, along with poor dine-in service, our to-go orders have always had something wrong with them...we don't go there anymore even though they are a 2 minute drive away from us. We loved Tortora's in Hampton Cove, but Joe doesn't seem to have a handle on his staff at Famous Joe's...

Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,904 times
I've eaten at Famous joe's a few times, and those times were excelent. I will say the food was slow to come out, but I didn't mind the wait.

Everyone seems to be all about "The Boot" here lately. I have yet to go down there. Is it anygood?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:24 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,270,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Similar experiences, along with poor dine-in service, our to-go orders have always had something wrong with them...we don't go there anymore even though they are a 2 minute drive away from us. We loved Tortora's in Hampton Cove, but Joe doesn't seem to have a handle on his staff at Famous Joe's...

The last time we were there, my pizza was extremely delayed, then they brought it out cold. He came out and brought us some dessert pizza concoction he had thrown together. All they did was took my cold pizza and put it back in the oven which burned the crust. I would have rather had a hot pizza than a hot mess dessert.

I've heard he is a total you-know-what, from a couple of kids that have worked there. I've heard him say some not so nice things louder than he really should have in a eating establishment full of families.

I like their pizza and we do get carry out sometimes but otherwise, not impressed with the atmosphere and service. IMO Tommys was so much better.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,281,747 times
Yeah, Joes was always lackluster with service and quality. I really liked it the first time, but it never got any better.

Lately my favorite has been Venice Pizza.

Haven't been to the Boot, too far for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area