Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 PM

218 posts, read 278,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
I heard a talk by someone that works for the Redstone Energy Group. The Redstone Energy Group operates the Redstone Park and Energy Demonstration Center located at the corner of Airport Road and Memorial Parkway. She claims that a homeowner can economically power a home using solar power.
No way Jose. Using $3.5 per watt installed... If you pay cash, the ROI is >15 years. It's worse if you use a true ROI where you compare solar ROI to what'd you make if you put the solar cash into the stock market or other investment fund.

If you have to lease or finance the solar array, the ROI is never.

Our house uses gas heat. I'd like to have a dual fuel unit, but I haven't seen one in a packaged unit. Actually, I'd like for our current unit to last until after we move into our next home (whenever that will be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:21 PM

871 posts, read 2,885,916 times
Love my dual-fuel system. Heat pump and natural gas. Upgraded to a Nest thermostat a year ago and it is smart enough to know the outside temperature using WiFi and my zip-code. It is set to go straight to gas below 35 (programmable). Doesn't even try anymore to run the heat pump and then fail over to gas like my old thermostat. Bill was a bit higher in January and February, but not bad.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
I love those Nest thermostats....I want one!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:27 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn View Post
Love my dual-fuel system. Heat pump and natural gas. Upgraded to a Nest thermostat a year ago and it is smart enough to know the outside temperature using WiFi and my zip-code. It is set to go straight to gas below 35 (programmable). Doesn't even try anymore to run the heat pump and then fail over to gas like my old thermostat. Bill was a bit higher in January and February, but not bad.
That sounds cool.

Does anyone know how much does it cost to add a gas heating system in addition to existing heat pump? Often times, it is the up front cost that is crazy & making it not economically viable.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:53 AM

152 posts, read 241,038 times
Our bill was remarkably better than I thought it'd be. With the extreme cold and snow and HSV Utilities announcing that utility bills would be significantly higher than average, I was expecting my last bill to be astronomical. But it wasn't much higher than my December bill, and not even the highest bill we've ever received. Not bad, considering our home's crappily designed HVAC system (freezing cold in the living room and kitchen. Turn the heat up and you'll sweat your face off in the bedroom)

Coog

Old 02-24-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Doesanyone know how much does it cost to add a gas heating system in addition toexisting heat pump? Often times, it is the up front cost that is crazy &making it not economically viable.
An HVAC guy is probably going to want to install an entire system instead of adding an interior dual fuel setup.

You could technically install a new interior dual fuel setup with a coil that is similar enough to your current outside coil. Not going to be cheap though. You'll have to run a gas line to the interior unit. Will also need to run an exhaust stack out to the roof. Wild guess, $2-3k.

Heating-wise, one thing to keep in mind for heat pumps is having a good thermostat. A 'dumb' programmable thermostat will help over a non-programmable, but you'll still be wasting money each month. Programmables save by having setbacks (turning the temp down) while you’re away. Our house is 68/62/68/65 - Morning/Day/Evening/Night. Most thermostats will turn on Aux heat (resistance heaters) if the set temp is 2-3degrees above actual temperature.

For example, say it's 62deg inside and you've got it programmed to turn to 68 degrees at 5pm. With a 'dumb' programmable, the heat pump and Aux heat comes on at 5pm to heat your house back up. Heat pumps are ~2-4 times more efficient that resistance heaters(Aux heat). So adding Aux heat really costs you money.

With a 'smart' programmable t-stat the thermostat will 'learn' your house's recovery rate (deg/hr) and figure out when to turn on the heat pump to get you the temperature you want when you want it. It also minimizes use of the Aux heat, which save your $$$.Honeywell calls it "adaptive intelligent recovery". NEST thermostats have this feature too.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:41 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Good info r x f

What is involved in changing out the "dumb" thermostat to a "smart" one? Can I just R&R them?

Quote:
Wild guess, $2-3K
A few years ago I went to a home & garden show at the VBC as I was interested in underground heat exchanger. The contractor wanted to change out my ENTIRE HVAC system & charge me $30K

Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,268,242 times
They are pretty simple to change, HB....I'm sure a super smart engineer like you could handle it if I can do it

Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Wow! You get some seriously high heating costs!

I heat about 3000 sq. ft. here in Denver (two stories plus a finished basement) and my highest natural gas/electricity combined bill this winter has been about $225. And while we do get reasonably warm days into the 50s and 60s in winter, it still is mostly in the teens at night, and we've had really cold days where the highs were single digits. Are most people in the South strictly on electricity for heating?

Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
What is involved in changing out the "dumb" thermostat to a "smart" one? Can I just R&R them?
A screwdriver, a drill to mount the new t-stat. Very easy.

Example of install instructions for a random Honeywell thermostat. https://customer.honeywell.com/reque...form=69-2206ES

Quote:
A few years ago I went to a home & garden show at the VBC as I was interested in underground heat exchanger. The contractor wanted to change out my ENTIRE HVAC system & charge me $30K
That's actually in line for a ground source heat pump (GSHP). They're expensive! I haven't really looked into them becuase they simply don't make economical sense for a normal house down here. My current house probably costs us $1200 a year in HVAC costs. If a GSHP is twice as efficient (a sporting assumption), the simple ROI on a $20k unit is 33 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area