Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:46 PM

60 posts, read 73,359 times

Advertisements

Keeper's rec for top o river is a must do! It is mostly fried seafood but GREAT atmosphere. Btw, I saw what a real river rat looks like nearby on the lake. No need to go to Africa to see a hippo now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 01:51 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Some of these might not be something you would do after work but not that far away from Huntsville.

Northeast Alabama waterfalls tour - Driving trip | EveryTrail

You might also want to visit Cathederal Caverns in Grant.
Alabama State Parks

Guntersville State Park Lodge
http://www.alapark.com/lakeguntersville/

Also another beautiful place a little further away
Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament

Old 06-08-2014, 04:19 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggaeCharley View Post
Keeper's rec for top o river is a must do! It is mostly fried seafood but GREAT atmosphere. Btw, I saw what a real river rat looks like nearby on the lake. No need to go to Africa to see a hippo now!!
Yes, but its going to take a lot longer than 30-40 minutes to get there....at least an hour, sometimes longer depending on traffic getting thru HSV.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:25 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
All great ideas...& we'll try to do them all -
Try massage palors in Madison... I "read" that it is a visitors' attraction these days...

Old 06-09-2014, 11:39 AM

944 posts, read 1,186,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Try massage palors in Madison... I "read" that it is a visitors' attraction these days...
Jolly good idea!

Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,907 times
If you are on facebook, like the page "Our Valley Events". Lots of info on Huntsville events.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:20 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
Little River Canyon up in Mentone. Deepest gorge east of Mississippi if I recall. A National Park ranger is sometimes around and can talk all about the area.

The bats when they come out at dusk. The location is up 65 near the Tn. River. As I recall it is Fern Cave? Sometimes there is a special program and worth while.

Hayes Preserve in HC.
Worthwhile to just once go see the group Alabama's museum in Ft. Payne. Sad town but used to be the sock capital of world. Hope it gets back on its feet.

Wheeler Wildlife Refuge. During the winter thousands (yes!) of sand hill cranes gather and it is a sight to behold. I never saw that many together when we lived in Wisconsin.

Go to Lake Guntersville. find out when the Eagle Days will be.

All of these are not in Huntsville but just around and really not far and worthwhile to check out. Sure there are more, just can't remember. I miss Huntsville!

Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 AM

128 posts, read 147,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Bwahahahahahaha!
Don't forget the Piggly Wiggly!

Old 06-10-2014, 03:21 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Headquarters for the National Speleological Society is in Huntsville. They have lots of interesting cave explorations when you join a local grotto.

National Speleological Society

Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 AM

211 posts, read 340,777 times
Most theatre productions have a Thursday evening showing. I really like the productions at the VBC playhouse because the playhouse has a way of really enveloping you in the play. It's also as cheap as going to a nice movie theatre. Note: this link is also good for comedy, poetry, and musical events although it is best at providing production info.

Puckett Publishing - Theatre Happenings

And on the topic of movie theatres, I've recently found that the Carmike on Old Monrovia is only $1.50 through the week. Most budget theatres are in pretty bad shape, but that Carmike is doable. The screen isn't going to be huge like at the Monaco or Valley Bend. There is usually only one movie a year that I know I want to see. For the rest that I'm curious about $1.50 is good enough for me.

Carmike Old Monrovia Showtimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area