Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:03 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times

Advertisements

[Found it and merged the two threads.]

Sammac, now you can scroll back to refresh your memory and post again if you have any more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 06:21 PM

125 posts, read 471,935 times
64 and retiring? SE huntsville is perfect for you SAMMAC! Especially in the Jones Valley area. There is plenty of housing of all types. Look to rent a condo or a house right away, don't start with an apartment complex. Huntsville is a great City. The people here are friendly and diverse. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 PM

232 posts, read 994,453 times
For newer homes with some hills and trees, try NE Madison County. For new construction, plan on from $95/sf to $130/sf for any new home depending upon amenities. You'll save typically $10-15/sf with resale homes over new construction wherever you look in the Huntsville/Madison/Athens area.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:50 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Default Sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
I thought "too country" was sorta like being too good looking or having too much money. What, you don't like Tractor Day?

Tractor Day!? You just sold to my husband!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:39 PM

20 posts, read 86,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny94 View Post
I have lived in Toney (about 20 miles north of Huntsville) all of my life and have worked in Huntsville for the last 20 years in Research Park. I know Huntsville very well and my advice to you is to stay
you should narrow it down some more. North East part of the city I would stay away from, but the NW side is not a bad side. very good. What is considered NW is Indian Creek, Old Monrovia, ect area. Yes parts closer to University are not the best, but look what is going up in this area. All the Providence stuff. So not all the North side is bad. SE yeah it is good, but it has just as bad of spots as the rest of the town.

Personally my choices of places to stay away from are the NE and SW. The area considered SW is East of the Arsenal and West of the Parkway. South of University. (I.E. Triana, Drake, Bob Wallace, Patton/Jordan, Golf, Johnson roads) Not the best places.

But really Huntsville is all based on roads. Some roads are great, some are bad, some are average. Roads I would stay away from, Sparkman, Bob Wallace, Goveners, Triana, Drake, Bob Wallace, Patton/Jordan, Golf, Johnson, Southern portion of Pulaski Pike (Winchester down), and most of North Parkway area around A&M, are the main areas that stem around there. Yes good housing can be found off Sparkman, but a lot of bad can be found to.

I personally, for as long as I have to live here, will live in the North County. Best schools, best affordable homes (IMO), quieter, and a lot less crime.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 14,976 times
Default Huntsville crime rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammac View Post
What area of Huntsville is best to live in, NW, NE, SW, SE. Where is there less crime in Huntsville.
I grew up in Southeast Huntsville. I have lived at the Downtown Rescue Mission in Huntsville for the last four months. There is very little crime anywhere in Huntsville.

In thirteen years living in Southeast Huntsville, there were only two times that anyone I knew was a victim of a crime. In 1995, someone broke into my neighbor's truck and stole his CD player and speakers. In 2000 someone broke into my sister's car and stole five dollars.

In four months of living at the Downtown Rescue Mission, one guy tried to rob me on Governor's Drive once. He punched me in the chest, and I got in a scuffle with him. A sheriff's deputy saw it and pulled over, but he refused to arrest the guy.

But things like that can happen anywhere. I routinely walk through the public housing projects in the supposedly highest crime area of Huntsville in the middle of the night, and I have only had someone attempt to rob me once.

As a transient, I traveled all over the nation. Huntsville has a low crime rate compared to most cities.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:44 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
Emperor24. thanks for taking the time to post your experiences from your unique (at least for this forum) perspective. Welcome home, and here's hoping things are looking up for you. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 14,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtTEX View Post
SE yeah it is good, but it has just as bad of spots as the rest of the town.
I lived in Southeast Huntsville for most of my life, and I'm not aware of any high crime areas in Southeast Huntsville. What are the areas of Southeast Huntsville that have crime rates as bad as downtown Huntsville, NW Huntsville, or SW Huntsville around Patton Road?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
I live there near Bob Wallace
Who was Bob Wallace?

Who was Bob Wallace Avenue named for? - Ask Us - al.com

Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,939 times
I am looking to relocate to Huntsville, AL. I have four small children and am married. I also want good schools and dining. Can I find all of this in Huntsville? Or a suburb?
I also am looking for newer homes with some space.

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area