Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:26 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock90 View Post
Okay, I'll reproduce the evidence as you seem to have missed it the last go-round:

Good job, Birmingham. But 37% is not "most of Alabama's wealth".
Who said 37% was "most"?

It's the largest single contributor to Albama's GDP. Without Birmingham Alabama would be on par with Mississippi in both population and GDP, that really changes the landscape for Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 07:00 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If you want to slander Birmingham at least get your facts straight. It was Jefferson County that declared bankruptcy, NOT Birmingham.

I don't see anyone making excuses for Birmingham having crime or high poverty, you kind of brought that up yourself.

I'm really confused by your closing statement on COL, what exactly are you getting at?

My intent was not to slander Birmingham.... Birmingham is a part of Alabama and does contribute to the wealth of the state. My point was that it is not the main contributor (as others have shown) to the state's wealth. A certain poster on here is known for constantly touting Birmingham as being the best area of the state, which is opinion and isn't necessarily true. This poster likes to downplay other key areas of the state to keep the focus on Birmingham. Then they go on to basically say that people are getting mad that the article showed a picture of Huntsville (to me that was poking fun at Huntsville yet again because the OP doesn't seem to like the area). That struck a nerve. It's an excellent area for some, and a place others wouldn't recommend. It comes down to personal opinion, and if those posters can have theirs some of us who disagree are allowed to have theirs. The question was raised as to why they would choose Huntsville as their picture since Huntsville is far from being the poorest part of the state. Personally I think it was kind of a "what the heck were they thinking" moment by adding a picture of a city that is doing very well right now with an article that talks about Alabama being a poor state.

Admittedly, I made an error on it being Jefferson County that bankrupted so my apologies on that one. My point was that some were saying that the suburbs of Birmingham were enjoying a low COL in comparison to other states, which isn't necessarily true. When the COL in that area is a large percentage higher than the national average and higher than the suburbs of some other much larger cities, how is Alabama's low COL helping in those areas? It's not.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:13 AM

169 posts, read 206,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Who said 37% was "most"?

It's the largest single contributor to Albama's GDP. Without Birmingham Alabama would be on par with Mississippi in both population and GDP, that really changes the landscape for Alabama.
From the Department of Beating Dead Horses Department:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
And I get it.

It is entirely possible for Birmingham to generate most of Alabama's wealth AND for other places to contribute to Alabama's wealth too.

But there has to be a #1.
Hey, I like Birmingham. I'm down there a lot. Just needed to clarify that although it's the #1 wealth producer in the state, it doesn't generate most of Alabama's wealth.

And things can change. Birmingham does rely a lot on the financial sector. As the #10 banking hub in the US, it'll face some disruption from "fintech" startups, the next hot area for the Silicon Valley folks. But the city got through the steel industry slowdown fairly well, so I'm sure it'll do fine.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:10 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
That's right. It doesn't produce the majority of. It produces the most among Alabama's metros. It is the primary contributor. It is the main contributor. It is the largest contributor. That is an accepted use of the word. And it is what I was implying. I was not saying it produced the majority.

But you know that. I'm glad it is not that surprising to you. But apparently it is a shocker to those who think we live in a bankrupt city with shut down steel mills and nothing but poor people living on welfare. AND I noticed you weren't here to temper any discussion earlier in the thread when people were claiming that the "rest of the state" was keeping Alabama down in wealth and it was all up to Huntsville to bear the load.

Last edited by Tourian; 03-14-2016 at 08:24 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 11:17 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
Quote:

But you know that. I'm glad it is not that surprising to you. But apparently it is a shocker to those who think we live in a bankrupt city with shut down steel mills and nothing but poor people living on welfare. AND I noticed you weren't here to temper any discussion earlier in the thread when people were claiming that the "rest of the state" was keeping Alabama down in wealth and it was all up to Huntsville to bear the load.
No one said that HSV shoulders a burden created by the rest of the state. You might've inferred that, but it wasn't said. I think that's the chip on your shoulder talking.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
No one said that HSV shoulders a burden created by the rest of the state. You might've inferred that, but it wasn't said. I think that's the chip on your shoulder talking.

Bingo. This was exactly the point I was trying to make. Tourian, you seem to like to tout Birmingham as being the #1 city in the state. While I won't argue at any point that Birmingham is an important piece to the puzzle, it is not the only piece. No one ever said anywhere that Huntsville was better than any other part of the state. But to try to downplay it's role in the state's wealth is reaching.

This thread didn't start to compare Birmingham to Huntsville. There are hundreds of those types of threads here already.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:25 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,766,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Oh really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2517 View Post
Madison Co has some of the top rated schools in the country, but, that is Madison - what about the rest of the state?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I think the point is that the rest of the state likes it the way it is. I am all for pursuing excellence, but I'm against forcing others to do so if they don't want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
This little oasis (Madison/Huntsville) isn't representative of the entire state of Alabama. I've heard many a transplant make fun of the rest of the state because it doesn't strive for the "excellence" accessible to us. The money just isn't there for the entire state to live up to lofty expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
Forbes used Huntsville as a way to represent Alabama's poverty? That's like saying the Trump Tower represents Manhattan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock90 View Post
Alabama overall has some things that need fixing. Huntsville/Madison has it pretty sweet. It's almost as if there's a dichotomy. Nah, that's too complex -- just leave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
And the locals telling everyone else to leave just put their head in the sand or fingers in their ears. How did Huntsville get to where it is? Because there were those who listened. Those who found a better way to do things. The rest of Alabama could learn from that.
That's just to page 3. I don't have to infer anything. The posts are indicative of a belief that nothing good, prosperous or positive exists outside of Madison co. And/or that the rest of us need to look up to and mimic what is happening there. That's just bunk plain and simple.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Oh really...

That's just to page 3. I don't have to infer anything. The posts are indicative of a belief that nothing good, prosperous or positive exists outside of Madison co. And/or that the rest of us need to look up to and mimic what is happening there. That's just bunk plain and simple.

You are drawing your own conclusion based on people saying they like Huntsville the way it is... and that they find that using Huntsville as an example of a poor area of the state was unwarranted. They go on to explain why Huntsville shouldn't have been used as the backdrop for an article discussing the state's lack of wealth. Besides, the thread IS about Huntsville, not Birmingham. Sorry - but you're attempts to steer it in that direction aren't working. Those threads need to be in the Birmingham section.

Please show me where that indicates that anyone feels Huntsville to be superior to Birmingham? How is that any different than the posts you make about Birmingham? You are content in the area in which you live and feel that it is a great area. We all feel that way about where we live, otherwise we wouldn't live here. That doesn't mean that it is superior to any other area.

Each area provides unique opportunities that aren't available in other areas of the state. If you want to be an Engineer or work on the space program/govt contracting, you live in Huntsville. If you want to work in the financial district (and probably many other areas), you live in Birmingham. If you want to work in an area with sea life or work near the port, you live in Mobile. If you want to work for the state government, you live in Montgomery.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:14 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Quote:
Oh really...

You misread my comment. My comment was actually a rebuttal to Dirt Grinder's comment that everyone else should leave if they don't like how things are done here. My point was that the reason why Huntsville/Madison is where it is today is because people stayed and made change when they didn't like something instead of just leaving.

Plenty of people in Huntsville/Madison who have the attitude of "don't like it leave".

Old 03-14-2016, 02:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
...My comment was actually a rebuttal to Dirt Grinder's comment that everyone else should leave if they don't like how things are done here...
Actually, I never stated "everyone should leave if they don't like how things are done here." My post very specifically targeted the statement "...Keep on being backward Alabama and be proud." I certainly do recommend anyone with a such a low opinion of Alabama's citizenry to seek another place of residence commensurate with their lofty ideals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area