Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2021, 01:32 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
That would help to push I-565 to link with the Chattanooga bypass around I-24. If you can avoid going through Chattanooga you can make good time.
In any case whatever monies Alabama gets it will go toward thousands of bridges that need replaced general maintenance and upgrades in Birmingham, Mobile and Montgomery. Huntsville and the Shoals will be whatever is left and probably 10 plus years out unless the city or developer pays for it and even aldot will stall. It’s amazing to see a highway department that supports its cities like Tennessee versus ours which plays politics and holds areas of the state hostage.
Do think highway 43 in West Alabama should get a lot of attention.
Just a wild and perhaps cynical guess, but I think the portion of the bill that actually goes toward infrastructure (I've heard on the order of 25%, with the rest being pork or projects unrelated to actual highway infrastructure) will likely go toward improving Hwy 280 leading into B'ham from the SE, and the new NW loop around B'ham (called 424 I believe). Then, if anything's left over it would first go to the Montgomery area, then Mobile, and then maybe a resurfacing contract or two in this area.

I've never been on 280 during rush hour, but there's no doubt it's busy. If it's worse than other areas, I have no idea. The NW loop, I-424, seems to be unneeded based on my experience driving through that area. I'm also sure that access to and through the Black Belt would be enhanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 01:39 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Just a wild and perhaps cynical guess, but I think the portion of the bill that actually goes toward infrastructure (I've heard on the order of 25%, with the rest being pork or projects unrelated to actual highway infrastructure) will likely go toward improving Hwy 280 leading into B'ham from the SE, and the new NW loop around B'ham (called 424 I believe). Then, if anything's left over it would first go to the Montgomery area, then Mobile, and then maybe a resurfacing contract or two in this area.

I've never been on 280 during rush hour, but there's no doubt it's busy. If it's worse than other areas, I have no idea. The NW loop, I-424, seems to be unneeded based on my experience driving through that area. I'm also sure that access to and through the Black Belt would be enhanced.
Highway 280 is probably the worst road in the state traffic wise. Not sure what else can be done as they have explored countless options.
University Dr (US 72 ) is the next 280, but the state refuses to move forward on it even though plans are in place. Guess they are waiting for another project somewhere else to get ready.
I’m curious as to what happened to the funds allocated for the scrapped Mobile Bay Bridge. Did the state Ave to return it the Federal Government?

Old 04-02-2021, 02:00 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
i haven't heard anything about additional 280 upgrades. they did a stopgap measure several years ago wherein they removed quite a few traffic lights and widened the road in a few places, but the effect seemed to be negligible. however, short of an elevated road (which was proposed at one point), there isn't much left to be done. (edit: i have heard of a proposal to add a flyover from 280 inbound onto 459 west/south bound, which would eliminate a light at that junction. so that could still be on the table)

i haven't heard of a number assigned for the loop, but i assume you're referring to the northern beltline (which i assume would retain the i-459 name, similar to i-285 in atlanta?). definitely a waste of money in my opinion. i think a small segment was started about 5 years ago, but i don't think work has been progressing. i would've much rather seen that money go to bury 20/59 instead of the elevated bridges.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:12 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,219,260 times
Quote:
Highway 280 is probably the worst road in the state traffic wise. Not sure what else can be done as they have explored countless options.
University Dr (US 72 ) is the next 280, but the state refuses to move forward on it even though plans are in place. Guess they are waiting for another project somewhere else to get ready.
I’m curious as to what happened to the funds allocated for the scrapped Mobile Bay Bridge. Did the state Ave to return it the Federal Government?

No, the bridge project is back on with weird wonkiness, Make the Mobile Bay River Bridge a 3 lane truck toll, which then converges to one lane and make the bayway a 3 lane interstate with one lane only for trucks, they wanna build the actual 4 lane bayway at the next phase in which they haven't found funding for it. ( I still don't think it'll happen without tolls being involved)

Old 04-02-2021, 02:25 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
No, the bridge project is back on with weird wonkiness, Make the Mobile Bay River Bridge a 3 lane truck toll, which then converges to one lane and make the bayway a 3 lane interstate with one lane only for trucks, they wanna build the actual 4 lane bayway at the next phase in which they haven't found funding for it. ( I still don't think it'll happen without tolls being involved)
It’s a shame the bay bridge won’t be built, it was going to be magnificent and solve a lot of traffic issues for a long time. The band aid bridge project you mention still does not indicate where the money went since it was allocated for the Bay Bridge. Maybe Biden’s proposal would pay for most of it without needing a toll or something more reasonable.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:40 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Don't forget that any projects approved today might be 5-10 years before actual completion. We are not talking about shovel ready projects.

Old 04-02-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
It’s a shame the bay bridge won’t be built, it was going to be magnificent and solve a lot of traffic issues for a long time. The band aid bridge project you mention still does not indicate where the money went since it was allocated for the Bay Bridge. Maybe Biden’s proposal would pay for most of it without needing a toll or something more reasonable.

Yea surely hope so, really the big thing that Mobile needs right now, traffic everywhere else in the area is manageable.
So I see a lot about a Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta interstate, with the I-22 project it seems like an unlikely chance. Is there not talks of extending 565 (or a new interstate) to chattanooga so that theres greater access to the northeast or is it a topography issue. (I am ignorant of transportation needs of huntsville area)

Old 04-02-2021, 02:58 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Is there not talks of extending 565 (or a new interstate) to chattanooga so that theres greater access to the northeast or is it a topography issue.
AU HSV and David1502 touched on it on the previous page

Old 04-02-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
AU HSV and David1502 touched on it on the previous page

ahh, I see, a lot of challenges for improvements

Old 04-02-2021, 04:09 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i haven't heard anything about additional 280 upgrades. they did a stopgap measure several years ago wherein they removed quite a few traffic lights and widened the road in a few places, but the effect seemed to be negligible. however, short of an elevated road (which was proposed at one point), there isn't much left to be done. (edit: i have heard of a proposal to add a flyover from 280 inbound onto 459 west/south bound, which would eliminate a light at that junction. so that could still be on the table)

i haven't heard of a number assigned for the loop, but i assume you're referring to the northern beltline (which i assume would retain the i-459 name, similar to i-285 in atlanta?). definitely a waste of money in my opinion. i think a small segment was started about 5 years ago, but i don't think work has been progressing. i would've much rather seen that money go to bury 20/59 instead of the elevated bridges.
280 could be made limited access with frontage roads, much like Memorial Parkway in Huntsville has been done. Personally, I don't care for the roller coaster effect (the up and down of the overpasses makes for limited lines of sight), but it's better than nothing. Quite expensive though.

Pretty sure I've seen the NW bypass being called 422. The leading number is even, meaning it is a loop; odd numbers are spurs into cities (e.g.,565).

You mentioned making 20/59 being underground. Presumably the risks of flooding made that not feasible, plus the cost would have likely been much, much higher (Boston's Big Dig cost a fortune, north of $24B, and was wrought with problems). Not to mention, a lot of people don't like tunnels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area