Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2021, 08:07 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,583,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Steel is rising at the site of Alabama A&M's new event center, along Memorial Parkway adjacent to Louis Crews Stadium. This stretch from Max Luther to Winchester Rd is beginning to have a major transformation over the next few years.

This view is looking from John Stallworth Rd.
The facility will include an arena with a 6,000-person capacity, locker rooms, training rooms, a Hall of Fame honoring former AAMU student athletes, and a kitchen with the capability to provide meals for campus events.

The arena will host sporting events such as basketball and volleyball games, student graduation ceremonies, and other university functions.

also coming soon is their new Welcome Center at the corner of Meridian St. and Chase Rd.
update from WAFF/TV

"The 130,000 sq. ft. arena will be able to hold 6,000 people once it’s completed. Brian Shipp, the Director of Facilities Services at AAMU, said construction is right on time.

“I think we will be scheduled to top out here sometime around early July,” Shipp said. “Top out is where we have all the steel structure and the roof and everything done and completed. It’s called a top out, at that time is when we celebrate because now it’s getting ready to move along very quickly.”

Shipp said everything has also been within budget, so far.

“Material cost has not been an issue for us, we’ve been able to get our materials and everything at a time when cost has not escalated,” he said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 08:08 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I'm traveling right now. I flew out of Huntsville 2 days ago. My ticket was $265. My sister and dad flew out the same day (we are at same destination) but drove to Nashville to fly out. Their tickets were $10 more... But they are non stop, I had 1 stop. We arrived at just about the same time (they were still in the airport waiting for me). Not always the case but that's now it went the time.
I had an opposite situation, this was a last minute business flight (found out on a Wednesday and flight on Sunday) HSV wanted $1300 and Nashville was $300 to Hartford, CT, had to do it because of funding.

But, as you say all situations are not the same.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:13 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,097,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I had an opposite situation, this was a last minute business flight (found out on a Wednesday and flight on Sunday) HSV wanted $1300 and Nashville was $300 to Hartford, CT, had to do it because of funding.

But, as you say all situations are not the same.
Hope you got that direct flight to Hartford. Have to go up in a few weeks and found that same deal from Nashville, didn't expect to find direct flights to Hartford, and for cheap.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:36 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Hope you got that direct flight to Hartford. Have to go up in a few weeks and found that same deal from Nashville, didn't expect to find direct flights to Hartford, and for cheap.
Which airline flies direct to Hartford from Nashville? Asking because good luck trying to get car rentals from Boston right now for the summer months. Rentals in July are nearing $1,000 a week.

Similar to Huntsville airport, Enterprise has pretty much stopped taking reservations for this summer.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Which airline flies direct to Hartford from Nashville? Asking because good luck trying to get car rentals from Boston right now for the summer months. Rentals in July are nearing $1,000 a week.

Similar to Huntsville airport, Enterprise has pretty much stopped taking reservations for this summer.
Southwest. My rental in Hartford was $100 a day.

By the way, if in Hartford for any time.

Frank Pepe's Pizza in West Hartford, or anywhere you find them in CT.

If you end up in Plainville - try J. Timothy's Dirty Wings.

Thank me later

Old 05-24-2021, 02:17 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,583,586 times
Default Downtown hotel project?

Keep an eye out on 310 West Clinton St. This is the property wedged between Cadence Bank on the west and AT&T on the east directly across the street from the new Hampton Inn under construction. They were doing core samples (boring holes) today. This site is owned by Ascent Hospitality, the company that is building the new Autograph Hotel overlooking Big Spring Park. They also manage the Marriott Space Center. Most of their brands are Fairfield, Hampton Springfield etc. so I expect hopefully soon there will be some announcement for this property, a great location, trivia, when built this existing building was a Quincy's Steakhouse back in 1979- early 80's.

https://ascent-hospitality.com/our-hotels

Also see the Southern Community Bank is set for a reno, not sure why it looks ok as is. Would be better to raze it and build a high rise office building. A great location for something better than a squatty forgettable bank.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:44 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Keep an eye out on 310 West Clinton St. This is the property wedged between Cadence Bank on the west and AT&T on the east directly across the street from the new Hampton Inn under construction. They were doing core samples (boring holes) today. This site is owned by Ascent Hospitality, the company that is building the new Autograph Hotel overlooking Big Spring Park. They also manage the Marriott Space Center. Most of their brands are Fairfield, Hampton Springfield etc. so I expect hopefully soon there will be some announcement for this property, a great location, trivia, when built this existing building was a Quincy's Steakhouse back in 1979- early 80's.

https://ascent-hospitality.com/our-hotels

Also see the Southern Community Bank is set for a reno, not sure why it looks ok as is. Would be better to raze it and build a high rise office building. A great location for something better than a squatty forgettable bank.
The look of the Clinton/Monroe street corner is really changing. Now, if they'd announce something specific for the old Coca Cola property.

The Southern Community Bank building looks fairly new.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:41 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Southwest. My rental in Hartford was $100 a day.

By the way, if in Hartford for any time.

Frank Pepe's Pizza in West Hartford, or anywhere you find them in CT.

If you end up in Plainville - try J. Timothy's Dirty Wings.

Thank me later
I did not use Southwest, but they do have direct flights from BNA.

Oh, there are 3 places I highly recommend trying around the airport area for food. First is "Bears BBQ" best BBQ I've ever had..yes...

https://bearsbbq.com/hartford

And then you have to eat here: https://www.tunxisgrill.com/menu/

And then if you drive minute I would also recommend down in NEWINGTON: https://www.goldburgers.com/

Damn, I also forgot about the wing place right next to Goldburgers it's called "Wings over Newingtion" but I cannot find it on google map, I hope it's not gone.

Damn, O.K., 4 places...

I may have spent to much time in the Hartford area....lol....

Old 05-24-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I did not use Southwest, but they do have direct flights from BNA.

Oh, there are 3 places I highly recommend trying around the airport area for food. First is "Bears BBQ" best BBQ I've ever had..yes...

https://bearsbbq.com/hartford

And then you have to eat here: https://www.tunxisgrill.com/menu/

And then if you drive minute I would also recommend down in NEWINGTON: https://www.goldburgers.com/

Damn, I also forgot about the wing place right next to Goldburgers it's called "Wings over Newingtion" but I cannot find it on google map, I hope it's not gone.

Damn, O.K., 4 places...

I may have spent to much time in the Hartford area....lol....
I will beg to differ.

Bears - wouldn't make my top 10 in Huntsville area.

Goldburgers is pretty good, but Connecticut is famous for pizza, best in the country.
Wings- J.Timothy's was rated #2 wings in the country a few years back, and I've never had better.

I lived there for 6 years, ate a lot of food

Old 05-24-2021, 07:23 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
I will beg to differ.

Bears - wouldn't make my top 10 in Huntsville area.

Goldburgers is pretty good, but Connecticut is famous for pizza, best in the country.
Wings- J.Timothy's was rated #2 wings in the country a few years back, and I've never had better.

I lived there for 6 years, ate a lot of food
Great suggestions guys. Appreciate every food suggestion.

On a travel note, Nashville has twice a day direct flights to Boston on American. But I’ll work to fly into Hartford to “save money on car rental”. With rentals at Boston for 4 days over $1,000, cars now cost more than flights. Maybe just buy the car on Monday and sell on Friday at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area