Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 08:58 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,168,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Do you mean paving of I-65 south of 20/59? If so, that's long overdue. I would have thought that's the first thing that would be done, or at least repair some of the bumpiness (I think it's mostly the original concrete from way back when).
When they started this entire rebuilt project, they scraped off the top of the old interstate pavement like they do before they lay down new pavement. That's what I was referring to around the junction that that's all they have left to do there. Both on 65 between 16th st n. and 4th ave. south, and 20/59 head toward the arkadelphia highway overpass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 05:29 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
It is not planned for that site
A commercial retail mid rise is envisioned for that spot.
The muncipal garage and current city hall will be demolished a new city hall
And new parking deck constructed on those sites.
That is the current idea rendering were posted here maybe a year or so ago.

The latest update and probable timeline for new City Hall
https://3jzi0q2zthm01oqpx2h96lz1-wpe...-28-2019-1.pdf

and detailed study and selected site
https://www.huntsvilleal.gov/wp-cont...Site-Study.pdf

Think there is a lot of construction downtown now, well 2020 and 2021 there will be even more.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:44 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,232,771 times
nice looking building.

i'll admit, though... the current city hall is actually one of my favorite buildings in huntsville. maybe because it's so unique from anything around it, or because it clearly is a product of its era. i assume it will get demolished? sounds like it's in need of some significant work.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
nice looking building.

i'll admit, though... the current city hall is actually one of my favorite buildings in huntsville. maybe because it's so unique from anything around it, or because it clearly is a product of its era. i assume it will get demolished? sounds like it's in need of some significant work.

Yes, no real way it can be saved without significant rework. Most of the building is not to code and may be asbestos issues as well.
Great design though and still is.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:00 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Don't know about economically, but Baldwin County is growing in population. It may be mostly retirees moving there, but there must be others too.

One think I find weird is that Madison and Limestone Counties are growing steadily, but neighboring Morgan County keeps slowly losing population (if the Census Bureau estimates are to be believed). I suspect that many Mazda/Toyota workers will be moving to Morgan County, perhaps the Priceville area, because it's really closer than the main part of Huntsville, and is less expensive than Madison County in general.

The planned widening of 565 may well benefit Decatur and Morgan County, and Limestone County with the Browns Ferry Rd interchange work, more than it does Huntsville. If it helps the general area, that's fine.
Baldwin is growing but not economically. The only industry there is tourism which doesn't do much ultimately unless it's combined with other industries. Auburn-Opelika is growing in population and economically with a rapidly growing high tech manufacturing sector along with Auburn University related economic growth.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:00 AM

523 posts, read 1,003,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
nice looking building.

I hope they are able to salvage at least some of the massive amounts of Italian marble on that building.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmaster View Post
I hope they are able to salvage at least some of the massive amounts of Italian marble on that building.
they attempted some when the annex was demolished but the marble is very fragile and in poor condition.
I agree though that a better attempt to save some pieces should be done to use in the lobby of the new building, maybe an accent wall or something. Sure there are some usable nice pieces on the building.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:54 AM

Major South Huntsville development will take care of the Haysland Square strip center.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/gian...untsville.html

The 850-acre development – described as a “gathering place for south Huntsville” -- will include high-end housing, a nature preserve, a mixed-use segment with restaurants, retail and condos similar to Providence Main in west Huntsville as an entertainment district as well as city parks and a dog park.
More than 500 single family detached residences are planned with a price range from $300,000 to $700,000, Enfinger said.
There will also be about 600 residences in the form of townhouses and patio homes in the development.
The developers will hold a community meeting May 30 at 6 p.m. at the Grissom High auditorium to discuss the project.
The Hays Farm will be the site of the development, which is being overseen by owners Jim Hays, John Hays and Jeff Enfinger. The Hays family also developed Hampton Cove among other projects in Huntsville.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 AM

81 posts, read 71,086 times
That is a pretty solid development. Only thing I would change is intertwining the retail in more with the residential. Most of the houses will be out of walking distance.

Someone pointed out on Reddit that the entire residential portion is within the 2018 FEMA flood map.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbirmingham View Post
That is a pretty solid development. Only thing I would change is intertwining the retail in more with the residential. Most of the houses will be out of walking distance.

Someone pointed out on Reddit that the entire residential portion is within the 2018 FEMA flood map.
that would be a good topic of conversation at the planned meeting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area