Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 06:10 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Huntsville needs around another 1000 rooms downtown, conferences shows business keep them booked most of the time. At least 4 hotels are planned or soon to be under construction downtown
I actually agree with you there. We need more rooms. But the arena is a dump imho. It's a Time Warp into the 70s. All y'all want something iconic, how about a new arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 06:38 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I actually agree with you there. We need more rooms. But the arena is a dump imho. It's a Time Warp into the 70s. All y'all want something iconic, how about a new arena.
Did you miss the news about the upcoming $12m renovation?

Old 07-17-2018, 06:46 PM

396 posts, read 664,849 times
The VBC is turning into a real jewel. Now....build those iconic hotels downtown!

Old 07-17-2018, 07:26 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I certainly agree that we need a new arena, but I'm not sure how it could be expanded and still keep the same footprint. I don't go there often (mostly go to the concert hall), but it really is in sad shape. I don't like everything being black, but that's probably necessary for concerts and such. Yes, the arena needs updating.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Best I can tell, the main arena isn't being changed with this renovation.

This one year old article says it's $42M, not $12M. It also says that construction is to start in early 2018. Has it started yet?
https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...untsville.html

Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,578,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Best I can tell, the main arena isn't being changed with this renovation.

This one year old article says it's $42M, not $12M. It also says that construction is to start in early 2018. Has it started yet?
https://www.al.com/business/index.ss...untsville.html
The contract was awarded last week, (was rebid due to some changes). Construction is set to begin asap.
This is Phase 1 of 3 phases.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
The contract was awarded last week, (was rebid due to some changes). Construction is set to begin asap.
This is Phase 1 of 3 phases.
Very good. Thanks.

There's going to be a lot of construction downtown going on at once, potentially ... CityCentre, the VBC, the Hampton Inn, the new Federal Courthouse, the new City Hall complex, the Curio hotel, and perhaps a few more things.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Very good. Thanks.

There's going to be a lot of construction downtown going on at once, potentially ... CityCentre, the VBC, the Hampton Inn, the new Federal Courthouse, the new City Hall complex, the Curio hotel, and perhaps a few more things.

There are several parking decks planned, one for Huntsville Hospital (6 levels) just west of Lowell and Rand. Not sure if it will tie into existing deck and or straddle Lowell. Another at the corner of Holmes and Greene across from the Times Building, (3 levels if I remember correctly) and will have retail spaces ground floor. Parking deck for City Centre and a new Municipal parking deck to replace the current one on Fountain Circle probably a year or two out on this one.
May be some modifications to the VBC garage on Monroe in regard to the Hampton Inn.
Also the planned Huntsville Hospital medical tower planned for the block between Twickenham Square and Blackwell building.
The mysterious Redstone Federal building will it actually happen, any new residential planned? City Center and Constellation supposedly will have some.
And hopefully the spectacular Sky Bridge to Lowe Mill will become reality

Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Thats just an expansion which has nothing to do with the arena itself.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:33 AM

Some aircraft work, PPG Huntsville, supplies a lot of windshields and window for aircraft.
PPG will supply windshields and cockpit side windows for the in-development Dassault Falcon 6X business jet, the specialty coating and transparency provider announced this week at the Farnborough Airshow. This is the first time the U.S. company will supply original-equipment flight-deck windows for a Dassault Aviation program.
The company will produce the windshields and cockpit side windows for the Falcon 6X at its Huntsville, Alabama plant. Its transparencies will comprise three plies of optically clear PPG Herculite II chemically strengthened glass for lightweight strength and reliability. Because the Falcon 6X will not be equipped with windshield wipers, PPG Surface Seal hydrophobic coating on the flight-deck windows will enhance water shedding for visibility.
In another first, PPG has begun preliminary windshield design work for the multi-purpose transport An-132, the first Antonov aircraft for which it will provide transparencies. Antonov president Oleksandr Kryvokon said his company plans "to expand cooperation with PPG to other programs in the future.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area