Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 10:59 AM

764 posts, read 1,109,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
For clarification, frontier was 170 with a carry-on and Delta was 210 with a stop in Atlanta. Yes, it's still cheaper but not greatly.

Delta will price match low cost carriers in an attempt to put them out of business in a market. When people say, "Delta has the same low price, so I will fly them", the low cost carrier has a low load factor, loses money and then pulls out of a market and then Delta will reinstate its higher fare.

This happened years ago when AirTran had service in Mobile and Delta price matched them. AirTran lost lots of money and pulled out of the market. Once that happened, Delta raised their fares. I am afraid that will happen with Frontier at HSV. The highest airfares in the country are out of HSV because most of the passengers are business travelers who are willing to pay higher fares and there isn't a large population of leisure travelers. You can draw a 30 mile radius, north or south, after that point most of the population will more likely fly out of either Nashville or Birmingham using Southwest. This is not a big catchment area. Therefore, it is a challenge having a large enough population of leisure travelers to support a low fare airline. You can draw a longer radius towards the west where you get a sizable population in the Florence area who are potential customers. Frontier will fly only three days a week (one of which is on a weekend) and therefore will not attract any business travelers.

HSV has a history of several low fare airlines pulling out due to lack of demand - The original AirTran in the 1990's before it merged with Value Jet based in Atlanta, AirTran that had merged with Value Jet in the early 2000's, Allegiant Air and Independence Air.

Another reality is that in the Midwest, there are a lot of folks in similar sized cities as Huntsville who will fly to Orlando in the winter to escape the cold weather and will fly the low cost carriers to do so. That isn't a factor here as the winters aren't so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:04 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,580,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Delta will price match low cost carriers in an attempt to put them out of business in a market. When people say, "Delta has the same low price, so I will fly them", the low cost carrier has a low load factor, loses money and then pulls out of a market and then Delta will reinstate its higher fare.

This happened years ago when AirTran had service in Mobile and Delta price matched them. AirTran lost lots of money and pulled out of the market. Once that happened, Delta raised their fares. I am afraid that will happen with Frontier at HSV. The highest airfares in the country are out of HSV because most of the passengers are business travelers who are willing to pay higher fares and there isn't a large population of leisure travelers. You can draw a 30 mile radius, north or south, after that point most of the population will more likely fly out of either Nashville or Birmingham using Southwest. This is not a big catchment area. Therefore, it is a challenge having a large enough population of leisure travelers to support a low fare airline. You can draw a longer radius towards the west where you get a sizable population in the Florence area who are potential customers. Frontier will fly only three days a week (one of which is on a weekend) and therefore will not attract any business travelers.

HSV has a history of several low fare airlines pulling out due to lack of demand - The original AirTran in the 1990's before it merged with Value Jet based in Atlanta, AirTran that had merged with Value Jet in the early 2000's, Allegiant Air and Independence Air.

Another reality is that in the Midwest, there are a lot of folks in similar sized cities as Huntsville who will fly to Orlando in the winter to escape the cold weather and will fly the low cost carriers to do so. That isn't a factor here as the winters aren't so bad.
think you will be surprised
those other airlines you mention were from 15-20 years ago, larger population now in North Alabama, southern Tennessee.
Huntsville leaks a lot of customers to other cities who take flights exactly like what Frontier is offering.
Currently there already has been a price drop from the other airlines to other destinations which is probably due to Frontier.
Silver starts flights in September to Orlando and the Bahamas
Allegiant is a lot different now, they were poorly run back when they flew here, Independence went out of business. Not to say they will not leave, Frontier is notorious about dropping and adding cities on short notice, but Frontier should successful especially if they can add Las Vegas or New York, maybe Washington DC. We will see if they tweek the schedule when it is extended out into next year.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:07 PM

396 posts, read 664,996 times
Folks need to decide: do I want airmiles on Delta (or American or United) or do I want low prices now and in the future?

If low cost carriers do not get local support, they will pull out and we are then back to the high fares and subsequent trips to Nashville and Birmingham in search of better fares.

It seems clear to me, we need to do everything we can to support the local low cost carriers.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:11 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,790,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
Folks need to decide: do I want airmiles on Delta (or American or United) or do I want low prices now and in the future?

If low cost carriers do not get local support, they will pull out and we are then back to the high fares and subsequent trips to Nashville and Birmingham in search of better fares.

It seems clear to me, we need to do everything we can to support the local low cost carriers.
I agree. The prices I quoted we're from here to Orlando.

For me, I'd love a low cost option to Jacksonville, FL. I have family there and multiple 10 hour drives get old.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:30 PM

117 posts, read 314,688 times
Question: what's with poles being installed on multiple locations on Research Blvd at Cummings Research Park? It looked like poles for traffic signs. Perhaps new roads? Or possible new tenants?

Old 07-14-2018, 09:24 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,207,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Flying's not the romantic adventure it was 50-60 years ago ... it's just transportation now.
Try some of the ME and Asian F cabins and get back to me. JAL F is about as romantic adventure as I can legally have at 38k.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:14 AM

HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - BAE Systems announced a $45.5 million project to expand its operations in Huntsville on the development of a state-of-the-art manufacturing and office space facility in Cummings Research Park.

The expansion will bring hundreds of jobs and the new building is expected to be complete in 2019.
BAE Systems is the third-largest defense contractor in the world. The company announced the news Monday during the 2018 Farnborough International Air Show, which is taking place this week in the London.
“After our recent string of wins in advanced manufacturing, we made the strategic decision to renew our focus on Cummings Research Park and the knowledge-based jobs that have given Huntsville its positive reputation for innovation. BAE Systems is a company we have worked with for a number of years. They will develop new technologies to keep our soldiers and allies safe for decades to come. Huntsville is proud to play a key role in BAE Systems’ mission,” said Mayor Tommy Battle.
BAE Systems’ new 83,000-square-foot facility will be built at the corner of Old Madison Pike and Jan Davis Drive. It will include engineering development space, manufacturing space, and Department of Defense lab space. A 20-acre site for the building will provide expansion room for phased growth in the future.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 PM

This probably the new downtown Hampton Inn at the corner of Monroe and Clinton across from the VBC
Our Hotels - Vision Hospitality Group

Alas it could have been much more

Old 07-16-2018, 01:24 PM

641 posts, read 698,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
This probably the new downtown Hampton Inn at the corner of Monroe and Clinton across from the VBC
Looks very similar to their Hampton Inn and Suites in downtown Chattanooga.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...NHX/index.html

Old 07-16-2018, 03:21 PM

396 posts, read 664,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post

Alas it could have been much more
I was hoping for a more iconic structure downtown. This is generic Hampton Inn. Okay, I guess. Could be worse (but could be so much better too).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area