Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 02:35 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Drain plug and spin on filter, over engineered?
hard to do wearing leather driving gloves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 PM

653 posts, read 589,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveXinfinity View Post
I prefer not to take my car to Express oil change places because I’ve heard too many horror stories. Besides BMW’s are over engineered and temperamental, but it’s the price I pay for owning “the Ultimate Driving Machine”.
You're drinking the Kool-Aid.

I've helped buddies of mine do basic maintenance on their BMWs; oil, brakes, timing chain, water pump, radiator, belt, and bulbs. No harder or temperamental then any other car or truck. I would touch any of the electronics on a BMW or any other car for that matter.

Most of the times you have to get the parts online. My wife's Volvo was that way; great mechanically and ride but the electronics and "environmental controls" were a POS.

Oil filters or for BMW's, oil cannisters, most likely can be picked up at most auto parts stores along with the oil. Pick'em up, swing by my house next Saturday with a six pack and will knock it out in less than 30 - 45 minutes.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:50 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,495,132 times
I have a Corvette and usually get my oil and filter changed at Express Oil on Madison Blvd (I'll probably take it somewhere else next time because I need to get the coolant changed). Never had an issue ... the guys do a really good job. The BMW might take more oil in the crankcase, but the principal of changing it is just like any other car.

But, if you have to, there's a shop just off Governor's Drive a block or so west of Blue Plate that does nothing but work on foreign cars. My son took his Porsche there, and a buddy takes his Mercedes there. I don't know the name of it.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,126,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
There used to be a guy on here named BMW Dave who owned a small shop in Madison. I think you may be able to find him on Facebook...he may only be taking folks by referral now. Unfortunately I've never used him since I don't have a BMW, but I think some other users on here may have used him before for various repairs.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought about BMWDave. Where has he been? Nice guy!

Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 AM

21 posts, read 15,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Drain plug and spin on filter, over engineered?
To the O.P.'s credit BMW is rather specific as to the oil used. Unlikely for a non-BMW shop to stock the correct oil or the filter. I had a Mercedes-Benz with the same issue. I used https://southsidemotorsinc.com for things more difficult than an oil change.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Another plug for Southside Motors!

Old 02-11-2019, 11:36 AM

12,971 posts, read 9,495,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCat View Post
To the O.P.'s credit BMW is rather specific as to the oil used. Unlikely for a non-BMW shop to stock the correct oil or the filter. I had a Mercedes-Benz with the same issue. I used https://southsidemotorsinc.com for things more difficult than an oil change.
Southside Motors is the place I was referring to that's west of Blue Plate ... just couldn't remember the name.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:05 PM

55 posts, read 63,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
When I saw the title of the thread I thought about BMWDave. Where has he been? Nice guy!
BMW Dave is still around. I contacted him on Facebook and he’s going to do the oil change for me. Just through Facebook messenger he seems like a very nice guy.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM

55 posts, read 63,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCat View Post

Ok, someone who understands where I’m coming from. The shop back in NY who used to do my oil changes had a foreign car auto shop that had been in business over 25 years. This shop was the shop who recommended I do my oil changes every 6000 miles vs BMW’s 12000 miles a year and he would change what type of oil he used based on the seasons. I felt comfortable taking my car to him because he was personable and trustworthy in the community. If I need something other than an oil change will definitely check out South Side Motors.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM

653 posts, read 589,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveXinfinity View Post
Ok, someone who understands where I’m coming from. The shop back in NY who used to do my oil changes had a foreign car auto shop that had been in business over 25 years. This shop was the shop who recommended I do my oil changes every 6000 miles vs BMW’s 12000 miles a year and he would change what type of oil he used based on the seasons. I felt comfortable taking my car to him because he was personable and trustworthy in the community. If I need something other than an oil change will definitely check out South Side Motors.
Let me guess, his name was Dieter or Franz.

Sounds like South Side Motors is your place. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Another endorsement (recent one) would be good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: