Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:08 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,510,269 times

Advertisements

I was searching to see if the July 2018 city population estimates had been released, and ran into this article http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/ that is titled US City Populations 2019. The information at the bottom says it's based on the 2018 Census Bureau Estimates (which have not been released on census.gov yet, so I don't know how they got the information unless they are preliminary numbers). Here are the numbers for the four large cities in Alabama:

Birmingham 210,999
Huntsville 199,487
Montgomery 197,377
Mobile 191,437

Assuming the information is correct, Huntsville is now the 2nd largest city in the state. If trends continue, it's feasible (but I don't think likely) that it could surpass Birmingham by the 2020 Census, since these numbers are almost a year old, being the July 2018 estimates.

When the 2020 Census numbers are released, it would not be surprising to find that Madison County exceeds 400,000 and if so, might surpass Mobile County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 09:01 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
I going off development activity alone there alone from residential permits, I'm almost certain that Birmingham is going remain the largest in the state. Huntsville is doing exceptionally well, but it's likely going to be the same order now. Birmingham is doing urban redevelopment and infill development that is primarily residential or mixed use with large residential components

Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,235,766 times
One thing to consider is that Huntsville has been annexing like crazy over the past decade or two. Just Google "Huntsville annex land" and several stories pop up... 9,000 acres here; 1,100 acres there; etc. It now stretches into 3 counties and is the 38th largest city in the country in land area at 209 square miles (and no, that does not include the Arsenal), by far the largest of Alabama's "Big Four".

I'm not disputing that Huntsville is growing faster, btw. Just saying that city population growth numbers don't always tell the full story. NONE of Alabama's cities are growth juggernauts.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:32 PM

271 posts, read 294,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
One thing to consider is that Huntsville has been annexing like crazy over the past decade or two...

Current Huntsville City limits. The green outline is Madison County, west of that is Limestone County, South of 231 is Morgan County. Madison City is literally boxed in at this point (you can't tell in the photo, but Madison City still has a little of Madison County that it can obtain).

Old 03-13-2019, 04:56 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,162,150 times
I think it's possible by 2025 that Madison County could surpass Mobile county,unless things change. I believe Baldwin County has/ or will at least surpass both Shelby and Montgomery counties by the end of the year.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
One thing to consider is that Huntsville has been annexing like crazy over the past decade or two. Just Google "Huntsville annex land" and several stories pop up... 9,000 acres here; 1,100 acres there; etc. It now stretches into 3 counties and is the 38th largest city in the country in land area at 209 square miles (and no, that does not include the Arsenal), by far the largest of Alabama's "Big Four".

I'm not disputing that Huntsville is growing faster, btw. Just saying that city population growth numbers don't always tell the full story. NONE of Alabama's cities are growth juggernauts.
I've read somewhere, and I think it was on a city site, that the population growth is not due to annexation. At first thought, it certainly seems possible that it is, but it might not be. If it was a city site, would it be truly accurate? I dunno.

Some years ago, Montgomery (city) went from about 130,000 to over 200,000 almost overnight. I'm guessing that was from annexation. The city of Montgomery accounts for almost the entire county population, but presumably the people the city is now losing are moving to the suburbs.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I going off development activity alone there alone from residential permits, I'm almost certain that Birmingham is going remain the largest in the state. Huntsville is doing exceptionally well, but it's likely going to be the same order now. Birmingham is doing urban redevelopment and infill development that is primarily residential or mixed use with large residential components
I think it will remain the largest too, but I don't know how the Census Bureau does its estimates. Do the current estimates account for the B'ham "urban infill"? Or is the infill not quite able to keep up with losses in other areas on the city? I don't know.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:12 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,583,586 times
Most of the annexed land in far west Huntsville is sparsely populated.
It was annexed mostly for future growth and industry (Toyota/Mazda) as an example.
Annexations only occur if the landowners request it.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

Some years ago, Montgomery (city) went from about 130,000 to over 200,000 almost overnight. I'm guessing that was from annexation. The city of Montgomery accounts for almost the entire county population, but presumably the people the city is now losing are moving to the suburbs.
It was.It happened in the late 90's early 2000's I believe I was told that Montgmoery is considering a city county consolidation.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Most of the annexed land in far west Huntsville is sparsely populated.
It was annexed mostly for future growth and industry (Toyota/Mazda) as an example.
Annexations only occur if the landowners request it.
Or if the city offer the landowner's a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area