Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 01:43 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times

Advertisements

Well, Huntsville does have its share of Antifa wannabe privileged kids.

But more to the point, we should all take this opportunity to move the statues if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 02:18 PM

165 posts, read 211,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
Awkward? I think a more appropriate adjective to describe your perspective is presumptuous and biased. An attitude that celebrates a mean-spirited tribute to slavery isn't limited to white people, it's just more prevalent. Kind of like an attitude that participating in a Covid-19 rally in Tulsa was safe.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I am baffled by people who think that the presence of a statue or name, especially something from many decades, even more than a century ago, represents an endorsement or celebration of everything (if anything) that person was involved in.
Exactly. Look at WWII which was over 75 years ago now.

Do you really the the average Jewish person living in Germany, much less an ethnic German, would be offended if a statue of a Nazi General was put up by a pro-heritage group like the Daughters of the Nazi Regime? It is not like they are endorsing the rounding up and enslavement/murder of Jews so much as they are appreciating and commemorating the struggles and sacrifices the Nazis made for the purity of their country (and surrounding countries).

What if Concentration Camps were turned into B&Bs and wedding venues like old Southern Plantations? Do you think anyone would really have a problem with that?

Blacks and Millennials are soooo thin skinned. Such crybabies.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:56 PM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
Awkward? I think a more appropriate adjective to describe your perspective is presumptuous and biased. An attitude that celebrates a mean-spirited tribute to slavery isn't limited to white people, it's just more prevalent. Kind of like an attitude that participating in a Covid-19 rally in Tulsa was safe.
You're on a snipe hunt.

I just wouldn't get my hopes for the Statue being relocated this year. Especially after the criminal vandalism and the ensuing investigation.

After the re-election this will all die down anyways.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:30 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times
Quote:
You're on a snipe hunt.

I just wouldn't get my hopes for the Statue being relocated this year. Especially after the criminal vandalism and the ensuing investigation.

After the re-election this will all die down anyways.
A lot of people including the city council are almost frantic about not being able to remove the statue immediately. It couldn't be political could it? If it dies down after the election we will see if that is true.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:04 AM

283 posts, read 408,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
First, ya'll ever heard the saying "two wrongs don't make a right?". It is a crime to deface a statue (or buildings, etc.). If you commit a crime, you deserve punishment. Just because it is something someone finds offensive or disagree with does not give them a right to deface it. Look at what else is going on - folks are also defacing or destroying churches, statues of almost anyone, not just Confederate leaders. It doesn't seem to matter to some folks, as long as they are destroying something. Regardless, a crime is a crime.

I did not own slaves. I don't own or fly Dixie flags, nor do I have a desire to do so. I don't believe I am racist (although I am getting really tired of people telling me that I am just because I am Caucasian - judging me by my skin color). But the Civil War was part of Alabama's history. That can't be erased by destroying things. I am strongly opposed to the "cancel culture." I do think that these statues being destroyed could instead be moved into some historical setting. We will have to see if the county can figure out a way to legally move this one. Or, the people (us) can work to change the law. But if we destroy our history, we can't learn from it.
You may or may not be a racist, a lot of times people don't even realize they have racist beliefes without knowing it. Don't let your mind fool you. I do say put them in a museum just like blacks have theirs, but get it out of the main public eyes. We the good public do not need to be reminded on a daily that black need to stay in their lane and that they are still 3/5 of a person and were owned and many in this state wish they still were.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
All the talk of Confederate monuments is just a big distraction. It may have started with that but soon took a more onerous turn when they started going after statues that had nothing to do with the Civil War. Now the protests have turned to attacking any authority. That includes the police and government buildings. I saw yesterday that even a couple little old ladies were attacked when they got in the way.

When I was in High School I read the book "1984". It should be required reading for everyone. It is scary how many of the things it portrayed are coming true.

Nineteen Eighty-Four
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

It started with Political Correctness". Now we have Cancel Culture. You may wonder what this has to to do with the current thread topic. Now days you have to be careful what opinions you have about hot button topics. If you have the wrong view about the Confederate statues don't be surprised if you are attacked by someone. Even the correct view seems to be determined by the mob whether in person or online like Twitter. Polite discussion is not possible as long as we let this go on.
I read that book as well in the 7th grade and many others and I say their should be many other books we should be reading replacing ignorant wasteful subjects our students do not need to even to have anymore. I think everyone should read books by Jane Elliot. If you want to know what white people need to stop doing to blacks read " white fragility by Robin DiAngelo " I read that book and other shorts by her and It truely opened my eyes to my family's struggles. I am 25% black 75% white I look 100% white and was raised that way but my bio dad was mixed and passed for white and was proud to be black. He just had to hide it to survive in his time. He was born in 1935 in Ga.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Anyone else having trouble following these senseless ramblings?

The mere fact that you can condone this illegal vandalism says all we need to know about your character.

End of the day, some of your own tax payer $ will be used to clean the monument.
I am of high moral charater thankyou, but when people get tired and pissed they do somethngs that others may not like and sometimes I don't blame them. College Degree's in Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement ASS and BA. Went to Police Academy paid my own way, half way thru diagniosed with a brain tumor and NHL and had to stop my life. Chemo, surgery. I have had 2 heart attacks and 3 strokes and now my memory is damaged. I worked my ass off to survive to raise my children and I have suffered long term damage from cancer and I now suffer from MS. So please don't go being a judging anyone's character. I would be wearing blue right now if cancer would not invaded my brain and life.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I find it more ironic that you think this is just a northern thing. There are plenty of Black southerners who do not like the Confederate flag. In fact, a majority of Blacks are southerners. And a majority of Blacks do not like Confederate monuments or Confederate flags. If it was truly southern heritage, all southerners, Black, White,etc, would embrace it. That there are hardly any Blacks flying Confederate flags.

I've seen a SCV license plate. I've seen Confederate flags and Confederate flags. And I've seen Stone Mountain. I think it's ugly. I've spent a majority of my life in the South. My mother is a southerner. She hates the Confederate flag too.
My whole family is from the south and we all hate the dam fonfederate flag, my grandfather a white man on mothers side couldn't stand that dam thing. He owned a large farm in Floyd Co and Beer Joint and if anyone pulled up in his drive with that flag on their truck he knew they are in the klan he sent them on their way,with a shot gun. He was well known in the area as a man with no patience he would shoot your truck up or you and get away with it. Back in the day 1940-1970 He did what he said.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:49 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
If you vandalize public property you should be arrested, get a felony on your record and possibly go to jail. If you want to get rid of a statue do it legally through a petition process, government, etc... People who vandalize public property need to go to jail. They need security systems on these statues to catch these criminals who deface them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area