Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:39 AM

1,420 posts, read 1,593,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Not everyone pays taxes.
Not everyone pays income taxes but everyone pays sales taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 11:48 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
I find it ironic and somewhat amusing that this 115 year old Historical Monument in Huntsville has you all in a tizzy up there in the North.

Let us not forget that there is a reason the Civil War is also known as the War of Northern Aggression.

God have mercy if you saw Stone Mountain in GA.

Come to think of it, you probably have never seen a Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) License Plate.

As for me, I Love living in the Heart of Dixie and I also enjoy celebrating Columbus Day every year.
I find it more ironic that you think this is just a northern thing. There are plenty of Black southerners who do not like the Confederate flag. In fact, a majority of Blacks are southerners. And a majority of Blacks do not like Confederate monuments or Confederate flags. If it was truly southern heritage, all southerners, Black, White,etc, would embrace it. That there are hardly any Blacks flying Confederate flags.

I've seen a SCV license plate. I've seen Confederate flags and Confederate flags. And I've seen Stone Mountain. I think it's ugly. I've spent a majority of my life in the South. My mother is a southerner. She hates the Confederate flag too.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacoolguy View Post
A lot of hard truths being spoken here.
Indeed. You recognize some facts. The UDC spread these lies about the Confederacy. It put the lies in textbooks. It was also influential in getting certain individuals to review textbooks. The textbooks weren't allowed to say anything that could be deemed as bad about the South. Textbooks that suggested that slavery was a cruel institution were rejected. Textbooks that state slavery as part of why the South wanted secession were rejected. The Lost Cause myth goes beyond statues. It went into the textbooks. This wasn't some dirty secret. Some people just didn't want to hear it.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:14 PM

301 posts, read 333,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Indeed. You recognize some facts. The UDC spread these lies about the Confederacy. It put the lies in textbooks. It was also influential in getting certain individuals to review textbooks. The textbooks weren't allowed to say anything that could be deemed as bad about the South. Textbooks that suggested that slavery was a cruel institution were rejected. Textbooks that state slavery as part of why the South wanted secession were rejected. The Lost Cause myth goes beyond statues. It went into the textbooks. This wasn't some dirty secret. Some people just didn't want to hear it.
All anyone has to do is read the article of secession. You cannot separate the power brokers of that era from the desire to keep slavery legal. Sure there were tons of southerners who joined up to fight to protect their state. Some also joined because they were forced to serve. There were significant war crimes against innocent southerners as well, probably fanned the flames of secessionist sentiment and contributed heavily to the post war violence against carpet baggers and newly freed southern blacks. This is a highly controversial history that means a lot to a lot of people.

Bottom line, black people were treated as animals until the 1960s in the south. To ignore this is a crime against decency in my book.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:20 PM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I find it more ironic that you think this is just a northern thing. There are plenty of Black southerners who do not like the Confederate flag. In fact, a majority of Blacks are southerners. And a majority of Blacks do not like Confederate monuments or Confederate flags. If it was truly southern heritage, all southerners, Black, White,etc, would embrace it. That there are hardly any Blacks flying Confederate flags.

I've seen a SCV license plate. I've seen Confederate flags and Confederate flags. And I've seen Stone Mountain. I think it's ugly. I've spent a majority of my life in the South. My mother is a southerner. She hates the Confederate flag too.
If you notice the quote you will see that I was replying to the Yankee above.

That there are hardly any Blacks flying Confederate flags.

A simple google image search resulted in About 10,900,000 results (0.60 seconds).

I also think you will find more people than not find Stone Mountain as beautiful with it's extremely popular Laser show and museum.

I understand that these are your personal feelings, but I do not concur with your viewpoint.

Last edited by y8tiger; 08-11-2020 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 12:31 PM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
Quote:
All anyone has to do is read the article of secession. You cannot separate the power brokers of that era from the desire to keep slavery legal. Sure there were tons of southerners who joined up to fight to protect their state. Some also joined because they were forced to serve. There were significant war crimes against innocent southerners as well, probably fanned the flames of secessionist sentiment and contributed heavily to the post war violence against carpet baggers and newly freed southern blacks. This is a highly controversial history that means a lot to a lot of people.

Bottom line, black people were treated as animals until the 1960s in the south. To ignore this is a crime against decency in my book.
Inline with your post,

"Objective historians realize the reasons for secession and the reasons the average Rebel soldier fought are not the same. William C. “Jack” Davis, for example, writes: “The widespread Northern myth that the Confederates went to the battlefield to perpetuate slavery is just that, a myth. Their letters and diaries, in the tens of thousands, reveal again and again that they fought and died because their Southern homeland was invaded and their natural instinct was to protect home and hearth.” Only about thirty percent of Southern families owned slaves and fewer than ten percent of individuals held title to them.
While Davis supports his opinion with letters and diaries, mere common sense implies how improbable it would have been for the typical Southerner to leave his family, risk his life, endure army-life hardships, and kill others who had done him no harm simply to protect slave property owned mostly by wealthy planters. Only a propagandist could suggest that it was a prime motivation."

General Robert E. Lee is one of the best examples of this. President Ford said, "Lee's dedication to his native State of Virginia chartered his course for the bitter Civil War years, causing him to reluctantly resign from a distinguished career in the United States Army and to serve as General of the Army of Northern Virginia."

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers still recognizes General Lee's contributions.

https://www.usace.army.mil/About/His...-Robert-E-Lee/

Old 08-11-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:

You don't even have to do that. Reading the Cornerstone Speech by Alexander Stephens spells it out too. At the end of the day, the desire to keep slavery is what got the ball rolling. It was the fear of losing slavery that drove the desire for secession, and later a war.

Every war has its war crimes. Had the war been ended the right way, war criminals would have been punished.

Jim Crow was basically the South's attempt at re-establishing the racist social order perpetuated under slavery. The rest of America was discriminating and doing racist things. In the South, Blacks were indeed treated horribly. And it was something that grew out of the ashes of the post-bellum/post-Reconstruction era.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:12 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Good grief. Some people just don't get it. It has nothing to do with what people did in the past was right or wrong. It has to do with preserving history. History should be a display of our past showing both the good and the bad. By showing both side maybe we can learn to avoid the mistakes of the past.
The American left and younger people (I'm a Millennial) more often have a black and white worldview than those that are older. I am baffled by people who think that the presence of a statue or name, especially something from many decades, even more than a century ago, represents an endorsement or celebration of everything (if anything) that person was involved in.

Old 08-11-2020, 01:48 PM

165 posts, read 211,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
...I am baffled by people who think that the presence of a statue or name, especially something from many decades, even more than a century ago, represents an endorsement or celebration of everything (if anything) that person was involved in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd51 View Post
Good grief. Some people just don't get it. It has nothing to do with what people did in the past was right or wrong. It has to do with preserving history. History should be a display of our past showing both the good and the bad. By showing both side maybe we can learn to avoid the mistakes of the past.
Yes, history should be preserved. Uh, accurate history, not fake history. But this entire thread illustrates the problem of "preserving" history with statues in a courthouse square or with the stars and bars as part of a state flag. That perpetuates the myth that the confederacy was a noble cause. (It was not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
...They were not fighting for slavery, they had no slaves. They weren't traitors if they were fighting for their own homes....
Sure...plenty of people who fought for the Confederacy may not have owned slaves, but that doesn't change the fact that they fought for a cause that was fundamentally unjust and immoral. Remember them, but don't celebrate their cause. Post-war Germany has managed to surmount this hurdle; hopefully it won't take another century for Alabama to do the same.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
Yes, history should be preserved. Uh, accurate history, not fake history. But this entire thread illustrates the problem of "preserving" history with statues in a courthouse square or with the stars and bars as part of a state flag. That perpetuates the myth that the confederacy was a noble cause. (It was not).

Sure...plenty of people who fought for the Confederacy may not have owned slaves, but that doesn't change the fact that they fought for a cause that was fundamentally unjust and immoral. Remember them, but don't celebrate their cause. Post-war Germany has managed to surmount this hurdle; hopefully it won't take another century for Alabama to do the same.

You do not follow German news, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area