Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 03:49 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Sure it does. For the record, I didn't know the statue was there so it won't bother me at all if it's moved. Probably should be moved off public property.

But you never answered the question. Do those things bother you?
How would the riots have anything to do with what we're talking about now?

And for the record, I don't like what's going on up in the north and northwest. And the rioting has been happening in southern cities too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 04:03 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Ah, a whataboutism, which has nothing to do with this discussion. Touche.
It is part of your package.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It is part of your package.
At the end of the day, it doesn't change the fact that I've never liked Confederate monuments or Confederate flags. It doesn't change the fact that I've known about that Confederate monument and others like it for longer than I'm given credit for.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:15 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
The way I see Huntsville, it's Rocket City. It's a city of engineers. It suppose to be more forward thinking, set apart from the rest of Alabama. Based on what I've seen, plenty of American flags flying around, but hardly anyone flying Confederate flags. That, to me, makes the Confederate statue in front of the Madison County Courthouse stand out in a big way.

Everything I see about how Huntsville is promoted, it's suppose to be this interesting, scientific city on the rise. Alot of emphasis on the rockets. So much about what Huntsville is has to do with the NASA years and after. It plays a big role. All the more reason having a Confederate statue would be looked at as an anathema.

I wouldn't mind it being moved to Maple Hill, or to a museum.
All that makes sense. Why Maple Hill though? I've heard that mentioned before. Are Confederate soldiers buried there?

As many years as I've lived here (Huntsville and Madison, which I think of as one), I think I've been in the courthouse exactly once. I have no idea which side of the square the statue is on, and to my knowledge have never seen it. I certainly won't miss it if it's moved. If it's moved though, I don't want it replaced by any other controversial figure.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
How would the riots have anything to do with what we're talking about now?

And for the record, I don't like what's going on up in the north and northwest. And the rioting has been happening in southern cities too.
OK, thank you for answering. The only Southern city I know of that had riots to any extent was Atlanta, and they didn't last all that long. Nothing like what's going on in Portland and Chicago, and what went on in New York. The worst part is that the cities just let them have their way and do virtually nothing about it, and essentially even support their activities. Seattle just lost what seemed to be an outstanding police chief because she wasn't getting any support or allowed to do her job.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
OK, thank you for answering. The only Southern city I know of that had riots to any extent was Atlanta, and they didn't last all that long. Nothing like what's going on in Portland and Chicago, and what went on in New York. The worst part is that the cities just let them have their way and do virtually nothing about it, and essentially even support their activities. Seattle just lost what seemed to be an outstanding police chief because she wasn't getting any support or allowed to do her job.
Nashville and Birmingham got hit. The thing is, I'm discussing this issue separate from the riots because this has been an issue in the South long before the riots. It will be an issue afterwards.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:00 PM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
Quote:
All that makes sense. Why Maple Hill though? I've heard that mentioned before. Are Confederate soldiers buried there?

As many years as I've lived here (Huntsville and Madison, which I think of as one), I think I've been in the courthouse exactly once. I have no idea which side of the square the statue is on, and to my knowledge have never seen it. I certainly won't miss it if it's moved. If it's moved though, I don't want it replaced by any other controversial figure.
Yes, Confederate Soldiers are buried there in a Confederate section.

I highly recommend you attend the annual Maple Hill Cemetery Stroll some fine day.

By any other controversial figure do you mean Wernher von Braun and his team of German Scientist?

Many of which were former members, and some were former leaders, of the Nazi Party.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Oh, the irony of it all.

As I said before, moving the Memorial is a slippery slope.

Certain people are never satisfied, give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.

i.e. - green_mariner a.k.a. pirate_lafitte has post dating back to 2007 showing that he has been offended by something in every place he ever lived.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:31 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post

I highly recommend you attend the annual Maple Hill Cemetery Stroll some fine day.

By any other controversial figure do you mean Wernher von Braun and his team of German Scientist?

Many of which were former members, and some were former leaders, of the Nazi Party.

Oh, the irony of it all.

i.e. - green_mariner a.k.a. pirate_lafitte has post dating back to 2007 showing that he has been offended by something in every place he ever lived.
Wernher von Braun has a history that ranks right up there with any Confederate general. However, he also has a crater on the moon named after him and he was a nazi.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post

Oh, the irony of it all.

As far as I know, von Braun never did anything negative for our country after he got here, but he did a lot of positive, and I think he was just doing his job when in Germany. I'm not big into statues of anybody, but I wouldn't mind one of him. There's a bust in the 4200 complex that, to me, isn't very well done. Looks like he's wearing a Superman cape. https://www.google.com/search?q=von+...xvmP0WamDGYi6M

Old 08-12-2020, 09:42 PM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
Quote:
As far as I know, von Braun never did anything negative for our country after he got here, but he did a lot of positive, and I think he was just doing his job when in Germany. I'm not big into statues of anybody, but I wouldn't mind one of him. There's a bust in the 4200 complex that, to me, isn't very well done. Looks like he's wearing a Superman cape. https://www.google.com/search?q=von+...xvmP0WamDGYi6M
I actually like Statues and Monuments, I have seen some truly interesting ones around the world.

I get what the artist was doing with that bust of von Braun. It has a 50"s/60's vibe to it.

As for being offended, that is always in the eyes of the beholder.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-monsters.html

Of course, young people are offended by everything these days.

Last edited by y8tiger; 08-12-2020 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area