Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 10:37 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Honoring treasonist, secessionist promoters of racist human bondage is not learning from history. Jews in Germany -- those who are left -- honor the history of the Holocaust in the forms of things like a rebuilt Dachau concentration camp with guided tours of rebuilt gas chambers, disturbing monuments and lectures... That's learning from a horrible historical act. Just maintaining statues of Confederate traitors is not teaching history, and you know it. That's a bunch of crap.

For one thing, those statues were largely built as protests during periods of expanding Civil Rights for African Americans. The other is that these monuments are not for teaching purposes, but rather serve as shrines for bigots who harbor their own bigotry.
Your whole post reeks of bigotry and the promotion of hate and division!
Confederate Traitors, as I said in an earlier post, you are throwing the Indians, the American Revolutionaries, and I sure others in the same bucket as the Confederate soldiers as traitors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2020, 11:59 AM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Confederate Traitors, as I said in an earlier post, you are throwing the Indians, the American Revolutionaries, and I sure others in the same bucket as the Confederate soldiers as traitors!
This!

Definitely showing their true colours.

Last edited by y8tiger; 08-09-2020 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-09-2020, 01:44 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Clear projection psychology. I'm not dumb enough to fall for it and hope other reasonable posters don't either.

Last edited by TheProf; 08-09-2020 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-09-2020, 03:49 PM

294 posts, read 234,721 times
Well, perhaps this is not your history you are wanting to erase. The statue honors the Confederate soldiers who lost their lives during the Civil War. Not a shrine, but honoring those who died for what they believed in. Those dead include my ggg-grandfather who died during that war, took a bullet for his son. I had another gg-grandfather who also fought in that war. They were not fighting for slavery, they had no slaves. They weren't traitors if they were fighting for their own homes.

Shrines for individual who harbor their own bigotry, you say? As I said before, I don't believe i'm a bigot, if I understand the definition of the word. I don't judge people based on their skin color. I believe those who pass judgement on me just because I am white and was born in Alabama are the bigots.

FWIW, my wife's ancestors were carpetbaggers. She doesn't believe the destruction of monuments is right either. But that's not because we are Alabamians, but because we are law-abiding citizens.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:54 PM

^If what your gg grandfather died in the cause for slavery, good riddance -- he was no noble individual; quite the opposite (whether he owned slaves is irrelevant if he fought for that cause). If that offends you: too bad.

No, of course all white people are not evil, that's ridiculous; consider the huge number of abolitionists, carpetbaggers ... and even BLM sympathizers, activists, to this day... You're just using this whine as both your sword and shield.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:53 PM

1,420 posts, read 1,591,294 times
I just don't understand it. Everyone that fought in or even was alive during the Civil War is long dead. Some people act like we should take sides and fight the Civil War again. What we have are just a few statues that honor those that fought in that war. People this is just history nothing more. People needs to know their history and learn from it. I think people are crazy when they want to destroy historical artifacts they don't like.

Here is another example. There are probably people alive in Italy whose ancestors were slaves in ancient Rome. Would it be right if they wanted to go around and destroy any building or statue still around from the time of the Roman Empire?

What about Egypt? Should every artifact including the pyramids be destroyed? After all they were built with slave labor.

There are old buildings, statues, and other artifacts in every country of the world. Some of these may remind someone of some past injustices or wrong. Do people think that every new generation should go around and destroy everything that suddenly falls out of favor.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:02 AM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post
Well, perhaps this is not your history you are wanting to erase. The statue honors the Confederate soldiers who lost their lives during the Civil War. Not a shrine, but honoring those who died for what they believed in. Those dead include my ggg-grandfather who died during that war, took a bullet for his son. I had another gg-grandfather who also fought in that war. They were not fighting for slavery, they had no slaves. They weren't traitors if they were fighting for their own homes.
Your forefathers were Heroes of the South and deserve to be Honored for their Service and Sacrifice to Dixie.

I suggest we just Agree to Disagree with someone from the decaying Rust Belt that refuses to understand this.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:10 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhisent View Post

Shrines for individual who harbor their own bigotry, you say? As I said before, I don't believe i'm a bigot, if I understand the definition of the word. I don't judge people based on their skin color. I believe those who pass judgement on me just because I am white and was born in Alabama are the bigots.

FWIW, my wife's ancestors were carpetbaggers. She doesn't believe the destruction of monuments is right either. But that's not because we are Alabamians, but because we are law-abiding citizens.
God Bless You, sir. Your forefathers are heroes and may they rest in peace.

Deo Vindice.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 AM

Nice shot at my hometown; really classy on your part. Of course it doesn't matter whether I'm from Biloxi, New York or Timbuktu, wrong is still wrong no matter how you couch it and there is nothing honorable about dying for a cause of undertaking a treasonous/secessionist war over the right to own human beings that ended up costing the lives of over 600K Americans; more lives than lost in all the American wars combined.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:34 AM

285 posts, read 228,837 times
it's a statue, statues are inanimate objects, statues don't vote, statues don't talk, statues don't govern or lead, statues aren't God, statues can reflect history both good and bad, history can't be magically erased with removal of "statues" - statues don't kill, statues don't pray, statues don't enslave your mind, there are bigger fish to fry methinks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area