Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 06:07 AM

294 posts, read 235,760 times

Advertisements

First, ya'll ever heard the saying "two wrongs don't make a right?". It is a crime to deface a statue (or buildings, etc.). If you commit a crime, you deserve punishment. Just because it is something someone finds offensive or disagree with does not give them a right to deface it. Look at what else is going on - folks are also defacing or destroying churches, statues of almost anyone, not just Confederate leaders. It doesn't seem to matter to some folks, as long as they are destroying something. Regardless, a crime is a crime.

I did not own slaves. I don't own or fly Dixie flags, nor do I have a desire to do so. I don't believe I am racist (although I am getting really tired of people telling me that I am just because I am Caucasian - judging me by my skin color). But the Civil War was part of Alabama's history. That can't be erased by destroying things. I am strongly opposed to the "cancel culture." I do think that these statues being destroyed could instead be moved into some historical setting. We will have to see if the county can figure out a way to legally move this one. Or, the people (us) can work to change the law. But if we destroy our history, we can't learn from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 06:11 AM

34 posts, read 87,559 times
Can we please not make this site a political **** match? The reason why I joined this forum is because I wanted to hear about the great things developing in Huntsville. To the original poster, you would fit in well at Reddit where they embrace your thinking and not allow other opinions.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:40 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Yea those statues need to come down, and I can't wait until the Confederate statues are all taken down. I know plenty of people born and raised in the South (this applies to almost all Southern Blacks) who want them down as well and see the statues as being completely offensive. I grew up in New York and the confederate flag was used in racist incidents in New York as well with the meaning to offend black folks, so they ain't fooling anyone with this whole heritage over hate nonsense. Huntsville talks like a town that wants to progress and attract a lot of young professionals, but it's got to have more forward thinking people making decisions here if the city want's to reach it's full potential!!
Like more folks like you from New York?

Old 08-07-2020, 07:38 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
I for one think it's about time, I think it is sick to have a statue of traitors of this country just standing around our city.
Traitors? Take down all statues to those involved in the American Revolution then, because they actually were traitors to the British Crown. The only difference is that the British Crown actually had a LEGITIMATE CLAIM over the colonies, while the US government had no legitimate claim over the Southern states should the states decide to exit the voluntary Constitutional compact, as they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
How is it that people like having a reminder that their ancestors lost a civil war of wanting to own people?
So winning and losing is the measure of whether we show honor to the dead? Take down the Vietnam War memorial then - as well as Korea since that ended in a stalemate. "Wanting to own people"? Get real, lady. That statue in Huntsville honors "The Confederate Dead" - not any specific person. The vast majority of Confederate dead were dirt poor subsistence farmers who never could have dreamed of owning a slave and didn't give a rat's ass if the millionaire planters could own slaves or not. They saw their homes being threatened by an invading army and took up arms in defense of it - simple as that.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:44 AM

2,985 posts, read 1,749,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarLittle View Post
This thread exemplifies the problem.

The statue shouldn't have been defaced, but the fact that it has remained standing for so many years is just plain wrong. Fortunately, the city council and an increasing majority of Madison county residents agree.

Sounds like what Bull Connor might have said about John Lewis. The country has still not completed its' moral arc, and Alabama, on average, and as usual, is a little behind. But we will catch up.
Meh...that Bull Connor nonsense is all pure horse****. Do the crime, do the time.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:12 PM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
So many people relocate to a new place and then attempt to change it into the very place they left.

Look up the definition of a carpetbagger.

The ones that are willing to throw stones at our Southern Heritage are so quick to forget the New York City draft riots of 1863.

End of the day, this vandalism is not welcome here and tax payer $ will have to be used to clean the monument.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:51 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
So many people relocate to a new place and then attempt to change it into the very place they left.

Look up the definition of a carpetbagger.

The ones that are willing to throw stones at our Southern Heritage are so quick to forget the New York City draft riots of 1863.

End of the day, this vandalism is not welcome here and tax payer $ will have to be used to clean the monument.
Vandalism is illegal and it will cost tax payer money. No doubt about that.

All this aside, there is something else. There are certainly some northern transplants who want to see the Confederate statues come down. However, there is another segment of the population that is being ignored. Blacks. Blacks are 31% of Huntsville's population. And the majority of Blacks are southerners. Actually, the majority of Black Americans nationwide are southerners, either by birth and residents or by ancestral roots. Most Black Americans have southern roots, but the majority of Blacks view the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism. A majority of Blacks view Confederate statues the same way. And this isn't just an Alabama thing. This is all over. A majority of Blacks are southern but won't ever claim the Confederate statues or the Confederate flag as part of their southern heritage. That needs to be considered.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A majority of Blacks are southern but won't ever claim the Confederate statues or the Confederate flag as part of their southern heritage. That needs to be considered.
Very true and a good point. You might also think that a majority of the population does not support BLM but this same majority shows tolerance toward that movement.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:01 PM

396 posts, read 664,996 times
The statue needs to go to a more suitable place (like a museum or Maplewood Cemetery). I love Huntsville, but the racism holds this area back more than anything. Please, elected officials - DO THE RIGHT THING!

Old 08-07-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denofhc View Post
The statue needs to go to a more suitable place (like a museum or Maplewood Cemetery). I love Huntsville, but the racism holds this area back more than anything. Please, elected officials - DO THE RIGHT THING!
Racism holding this area back, seriously???
https://www.al.com/news/2020/06/hunt...two-years.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area