Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 07:01 AM

141 posts, read 178,634 times

Advertisements

Here in the Dothan area those large gaps usually lead to a car still setting at the light when it turns green as everyone else pulls away. As you pass them it almost always is an individual texting and driving. I guess they leave the gap to avoid getting startled and slamming into the vehicle in front of them. Inconsiderate nitwits IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 12:20 AM

21 posts, read 15,824 times
Most Alabama drivers found their licenses in boxes of Cracker Jacks so bad behavior is not surprising.

Lately drivers stop 3 car lengths from the white line. Not smart enough to consider the inductive sensor in the road can not see them, will not cycle the light. This is relatively new, the old behavior was to stop past the white line. Again, past the sensor so possibly the light will not cycle for this driver.

And then there are those who cut the corner turning left driving over the sensor in the left turn lane. Forces the light to cycle for a phantom left-turner while everyone else waits for the nonexistent phantom.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:08 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
If someone stops 75 feet behind the driver in front of them I will usually pull around them (if safe).

Old 06-03-2021, 10:16 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyCat View Post
Most Alabama drivers found their licenses in boxes of Cracker Jacks so bad behavior is not surprising.

Lately drivers stop 3 car lengths from the white line. Not smart enough to consider the inductive sensor in the road can not see them, will not cycle the light. This is relatively new, the old behavior was to stop past the white line. Again, past the sensor so possibly the light will not cycle for this driver.

And then there are those who cut the corner turning left driving over the sensor in the left turn lane. Forces the light to cycle for a phantom left-turner while everyone else waits for the nonexistent phantom.
LOL! You haven't seen bad driving. The stunts I saw pulled in south Florida are a whole order of idiot above most anywhere. Try driving on the Dolphin Expressway at a 15 mph creep and stop, and have a pocket rocket go in between cars at over 100 mph (NO exaggeration). The concept of merging two lanes into one requires horns, bent fenders, and cursing - compared to Alabama where merging is often like zipping a zipper at speed.

What I have noticed here is that the bulk of aggressive and idiot driving occurs Fri, Sat, and Sun evenings between 7 and 11 PM. That appears to be peak testosterone drunk time.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:16 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
I have over a million miles in downtown city driving in two countries. One trick is to be able to see the tires of the vehicle in front of you. That gives you room to turn into another lane and pass if the vehicle has issues. In heavy pedestrian areas you don not want to be the vehicle rear ended, only to have your car pushed into the crosswalk and strike a pedestrian.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:43 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Quote:

I find this interesting. I guess the longer I'm here I might experience that. (The Cracker Box drivers.) I'm from L.A. so Huntsville is heaven for me

One day I was driving south on the 231 and we suddenly had to stop. Well, the guy in the nice Lexus SUV behind me pulled a swerving Mario Andretti and avoided hitting me. He was amazing. I'll bet he was sweating bullets afterward. I know I was. He could have easily hit the concrete median and spun out. It turned out that one of those quarry trucks was holding everything up going back to the quarry on the river. I've noticed those guys on there frequently.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:31 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The light won't cycle all because there is no automobile there?

Are you like 2 years old?

So, by what you say, if there is never a car at a light, the light will never change?

Damn, you've earned the Cracker Jack box of uselessness drivel. I'm sure you are proud of what you posted while being in your parents basement.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:35 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Please PLEASE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE don't close this thread MODs...let us have fun with this useful..I-D-10-T

Old 06-03-2021, 05:56 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I find this interesting. I guess the longer I'm here I might experience that. (The Cracker Box drivers.) I'm from L.A. so Huntsville is heaven for me

One day I was driving south on the 231 and we suddenly had to stop. Well, the guy in the nice Lexus SUV behind me pulled a swerving Mario Andretti and avoided hitting me. He was amazing. I'll bet he was sweating bullets afterward. I know I was. He could have easily hit the concrete median and spun out. It turned out that one of those quarry trucks was holding everything up going back to the quarry on the river. I've noticed those guys on there frequently.
Surprising his Lexus didn't have automatic braking.

Old 06-03-2021, 05:58 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The light won't cycle all because there is no automobile there?

Are you like 2 years old?

So, by what you say, if there is never a car at a light, the light will never change?

Damn, you've earned the Cracker Jack box of uselessness drivel. I'm sure you are proud of what you posted while being in your parents basement.
Traffic signals that have embedded loops also have a max time they'll stay red. So yes, even without a car there it will eventually cycle. I don't think he implied it would never cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area