Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 12:20 PM

13,139 posts, read 9,701,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscott462 View Post
What about Tornados or Hail? My wife says Huntsville is part of the Dixie corridor and wants to know if the area gets hail damage and Tornado warnings.

Thanks!!!!
Yes, we have tornadoes and hail but we're not constantly dodging them. I don't think we had any this past spring.

I've been in my house for 32 years and have had hail one time that was of any significance. We'd been gone to Gulf Shores, came back, and there were newly budded leaves all over the side of the house. So yes, that was major hail and could indeed dent cars. But it's very, very rare for any one spot. Same with tornadoes. Never had one at my house. We are subject to strong EF4 and EF5 storms so, so it's not trivial, but rather something you don't have to constantly worry about. NWS and television coverage is outstanding during warnings so you'll always know where the storm is heading

Hope that helps. More concerning to me is occasional heat, like today. The dewpoint on my home weather station a few minutes ago was 81. It's rare to be tropical like that, but it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 11:54 AM

66 posts, read 46,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Yes, we have tornadoes and hail but we're not constantly dodging them. I don't think we had any this past spring.

I've been in my house for 32 years and have had hail one time that was of any significance. We'd been gone to Gulf Shores, came back, and there were newly budded leaves all over the side of the house. So yes, that was major hail and could indeed dent cars. But it's very, very rare for any one spot. Same with tornadoes. Never had one at my house. We are subject to strong EF4 and EF5 storms so, so it's not trivial, but rather something you don't have to constantly worry about. NWS and television coverage is outstanding during warnings so you'll always know where the storm is heading

Hope that helps. More concerning to me is occasional heat, like today. The dewpoint on my home weather station a few minutes ago was 81. It's rare to be tropical like that, but it happens.
Yes, that helps. Hail is not an issue which is great.

Fequency of Tornados is the only issue. I get that if it doesn't hit your house all is good, but
seeing houses destroyed 1/2 mile away isn't exactly a confidence builder as all of this is random
and next time it could be your community. Did you live in Madison for 32 years?

Old 07-28-2021, 01:23 PM

3,017 posts, read 3,626,355 times
Quote:

Fequency of Tornados is the only issue. I get that if it doesn't hit your house all is good, but
seeing houses destroyed 1/2 mile away isn't exactly a confidence builder as all of this is random
Tornadoes go where they want, you can't out predict or guess where one may go or areas that they won't.
Yes we have them, yes there are tornado warnings somewhere in a hundred mile radius of Huntsville several times a year although some years are more frequent. That's just the nature of location, the south's weather influencer The Gulf of Mexico, the earth's rotation and the clash between hot and cold air.
Pick a place in the United States that isn't impacted by natural disasters, very few indeed, maybe West Virginia but they have extreme cold.
Truth is you could live your life here and never be impacted by a tornado but everyone is aware of them and seen their destruction, or have your house destroyed within a year. Don't know what else we can tell you other than if you move here you couldn't find a much better or vibrant area to live and be happy doing it.
Oh and put in a storm shelter after you get here.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:18 AM

283 posts, read 410,554 times
Quote:
I'm looking into the possibility of Relocating from out of state to the Madison area
and need to have excellent cardiac care.

Would like to know what people who live in the area think about the quality of care at the heart center
as well as other hospitals? Are they rated High in the Country or just for Alabama?

Thanks!!!
I live in Madison City and I had a heart attack in 2015. I was saved by the clot buster and the doctors were great. I went to Madison Hospital at first and they sent me to Huntsville Hospital and the care was awesome. I am still am a patient at the Madison Heart Center and every yr I get my stress test and a throu check up. I have always been treated with high respect and care and kindness. You don't have to worry. We have great hospitals and doctors here. If you have kids we have wonderful kids hospital. If you ever need a ortho operation, they are awesome in that as well. Top of the line care. two knee replacements. I go into the hospital alot due to MS and CIDP and lung and seziures and I can tell you the hospitals are wonderful and the amount of Dr to choose from is awesome. Madison City is the best of North AL. extreamly low crime, great schools and college and plenty of work is offered.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:11 PM

3,017 posts, read 3,626,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
I live in Madison City and I had a heart attack in 2015. I was saved by the clot buster and the doctors were great. I went to Madison Hospital at first and they sent me to Huntsville Hospital and the care was awesome. I am still am a patient at the Madison Heart Center and every yr I get my stress test and a throu check up. I have always been treated with high respect and care and kindness. You don't have to worry. We have great hospitals and doctors here. If you have kids we have wonderful kids hospital. If you ever need a ortho operation, they are awesome in that as well. Top of the line care. two knee replacements. I go into the hospital alot due to MS and CIDP and lung and seziures and I can tell you the hospitals are wonderful and the amount of Dr to choose from is awesome. Madison City is the best of North AL. extreamly low crime, great schools and college and plenty of work is offered.
I think the threat of tornados steered them elsewhere.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Well, no it's not all good if it doesn't hit my house but hits elsewhere - I certainly have empathy for those affected.

I've been in my current house in south Madison for almost exactly 32 years.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2coolmom View Post
I certainly endorse your opinion of this area's medical care, and especially the Heart Center. Did you have a procedure as a result of your heart attack?

Last edited by RocketDawg; 08-09-2021 at 01:37 PM..

Old 08-09-2021, 01:36 PM

Actually, I need to alter my response about tornadoes affecting me. In November 1973, we were newlyweds and lived in Fontainbleau Apartments on University Drive. It was the fall before the big outbreak of April 1973. Two days before, a tornado had done considerable damage to Sherwood Park, just east of Hwy 255/Research Park Blvd, and just north of Madison Pike.

Two days later, another tornado came through Sherwood Park, and this one continued on to just north of our apartment in what was then an open field. We heard some high winds all of a sudden, and a few boats were moved out of place in our parking lot. It was very close to a direct hit, but it was a relatively minor tornado. That's the closest I've come to actually being in one.

The following April, we were visiting friends in Sherwood Park (of all places) and could see the F-5s off to our west (dust raised, etc.). That was an interesting evening, to say the least.

Another time in August, I actually saw a funnel from my office in 4200 at NASA. It was the result of a decadent hurricane that had come ashore on the Gulf; otherwise, August is not normal tornado season. We watched it form well to the south and come almost due north, going though the forest a half mile or so away. We were supposed to be in the basement, but could tell it wouldn't hit us, so we didn't go down. That one was really interesting to watch, even though it was a small F-1 I believe.

So yes, we have tornadoes, and I've been fortunate to have not been affected except indirectly the one in the fall of 1973.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:34 AM

583 posts, read 832,787 times
My heart doctor was one of the founders of the Huntsville Heart Center. He retired last Dec.

Fortunately my AFib is under control and don't require constant care or oversight; once every 6 months is good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area