Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 09:00 PM

144 posts, read 433,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Best wishes for your next career move. I recalled at one time every managers fear the most is being invited to a "VAR-party", that is where executive management conducts a "variance analysis review", and the only reason you were invited is to explain why your program is below a certain CPI and SPI of your earned value. Your career upward mobility is greatly dependent on "not" being invited to these reviews.

But somewhere along things changed. It became "okay" to greatly miss your CPI and SPI. Eventually significant program cost overruns led to cancellations by the government, but these PMs just get reassigned to screw up another program.

Last 10 years, Boeing's business model focused on being a largescale-system-integrator (LSI) and literally gave away any jobs that involve design or manufactur anything. So programs like the FCS, GMD, etc., become the model as we don't design anything or build anything, we'll just "integrate" everything. As result, it lays off many of world best & brightest engineers/scientists because when you don't design anything, you don't need the "know-how".

EXACTLY.

The culture has shifted quite a bit also, especially since the merger, with a strong emphasis of Business Operations controlling (IMO) too much of the baseline and having too much input into techinical or engineering decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 03:18 PM

340 posts, read 723,410 times
December 17, 2009
Exclusive: Obama Backs New Launcher and Bigger NASA Budget : ScienceInsider

Old 01-24-2010, 11:20 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,664 times
NASA, Private Industry Duel Over Next-Gen Space Shuttles - Sphere News

Does this upcoming decision mean anything for NASA locally?

Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammie2 View Post
NASA, Private Industry Duel Over Next-Gen Space Shuttles - Sphere News

Does this upcoming decision mean anything for NASA locally?
Speculation is a dangerous game. There're plenty of opinions on this issue if you just google on this topic.

Opinions are just that. They are like u-know-what, everybody has one

The reality is that, there's plenty of industry involvement on the design (& subsequent manufacturing) of Ares I rocket and the Orion crew capsule already. If the Obama administration decided that NASA should change its course, there is still a need to design a different man-rated launch vehicle. In either case, the NASA in Huntsville (the Marshall Space Flight Center, MSFC) will still be heavily involved in the design, regardless of the new procurement approach. So from a job perspective, there's probably not going to be a lot of changes. MSFC is following this closely and have plan A, B, C, etc., in place already. Senator Shelby & Sessions are on board to "protect" NASA jobs in Alabama. It will be intersting to see what Parker Griffin's role will be now that he switched party and lost a valuable seat that oversees (& influence) NASA's budget.

SpaceX quoted in your link is considered a "space cowboy" company who barely got its first un-manned rocket launched. It is far from being able to be compared with the "big boys", e.g., Boeing/ LockMart, etc., in launching un-manned national security (big $$$) satellites, let alone on designing a man-rated launch vehicle capable of carrying astronauts. It has come a long way from its first launch failure (not to put dissimilar metals together in a salt-water environment -- causes corrosion), but it still has a long way to go before being considered a "credible" launch services provider. I toured their factory and talked to one of the VP back in 2002, as we were considering using them for a payload launch. They claimed back then that they will be ready by 2003 for launch. We disagreed. They did not have a successful launch until 2006 on its 3rd vehicle, if I recalled correctly.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

692 posts, read 1,502,664 times
Thanks. I was just curious. It seemed like a bad idea, but that is above my pay-grade, so no one asks my opinion I saw the article and was astonished, I couldn't believe it was an idea that was even being considered.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
If the Obama administration decided that NASA should change its course, there is still a need to design a different man-rated launch vehicle. In either case, the NASA in Huntsville (the Marshall Space Flight Center, MSFC) will still be heavily involved in the design, regardless of the new procurement approach.
Is there more than one set of man rated rockets/orbitors/capsules NASA is considering? I keep hearing about Space-X (they're in Hawthorne), but I also keep hearing about the big contractors too. Either way, I would think the work passes through Huntsville regardless of the location of the contractor (Hawthorne, Houston, Florida, etc).

Old 01-27-2010, 09:26 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is there more than one set of man rated rockets/orbitors/capsules NASA is considering? I keep hearing about Space-X (they're in Hawthorne), but I also keep hearing about the big contractors too. Either way, I would think the work passes through Huntsville regardless of the location of the contractor (Hawthorne, Houston, Florida, etc).
I think the nation is struggling with a fundamental question -- does the nation need to spend the money to explore space in the first place? Back in the days of Von Braun, we were in a military power race against Russia (and space is a part of that race). In the day of space shuttle, we were in the race of cold war against Russia & China. Today, we are in wars against Al Queda, who has no plans to go to space.

Assuming the administration gives a green light on the continue pursuits of human exploration in space, there are a number of paths this can take and depending on which path, it could affect the jobs at NASA. What is NASA's role & involvement on Human Space Exploration? In the days of Von Braun, NASA is very hands-on in design & build everything. But that was then, and today's political & business environment has changed quite a bit. This debate ranges from NASA does everything to NASA does nothing and let the "commercial market" to do everything. Then there's an extreme view of why build any Space Shuttle replacement? Let's just buy tickets on Russian's launches.

Where you stand on this debate will most likely be determined by how various options affect your job and your family. Since none of us get paid the big bucks for making this decision, we all just have to wait for the POTUS announcement.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,687 times
That's a good post HB. I completely agree with your assessment. I honestly am completely undecided on the role of NASA. I find myself supportive more because I'm a fan of science.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
Just saw online that the administration is discontinuing future manned moon missions...

Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM

379 posts, read 849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Just saw online that the administration is discontinuing future manned moon missions...
Well there goes our dominance in space exploration plus over 9 Billion wasted on Constellation this past decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area