Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:09 AM

13 posts, read 31,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaken8 View Post
I checked the Bureau of Labor Statistics, but they did not have a distinction between disciplines (could not specify mathematics teacher, it only gave salaries for all secondary school teachers. I was under the impression that math and science teachers are worth more due to their relative scarcity.)
Paying math and science teachers more is an idea that is being floated around by polititions but is not popular in the education world. To say that a high school math teacher is more important than the kindergarden teacher that started a student on their path to learning can cause quite the debate over in education land!!!! So be ready for a lot of debate on that subject!

If you have a degree in something other than education, you will have to take the Alabama Basic Skills test and the Praxis II in the subject that you want to teach i.e. Middle school Mathmatics, Secondary Biology.

If you pass these tests you can then apply for a teaching certificate..... Look on the ADOE website under "Alternative Certification" and it provides the steps you need to follow to do so.

I would get the certificate, then you could work teaching while you get your masters.... In less you don't need to then just go for it!

Huntsville is a little crazy in that you will have to apply to Huntsville city, Madison City, and Madison County... That is 3 sets of Applications and refferences for each! UGH! They are good for a year..

Good luck... We are in the process of finding teaching jobs in the area our selves so if you need any more information I would be happy to pass a long what we have learned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 09:52 AM

99 posts, read 253,005 times
Thanks for the tips, guys. Those were the kind of answers I was hoping for. Thank you for the help.

Mommydebs, I didn't mean to imply that math and science teachers were more important, just that they aren't as common. Using the rules of supply and demand and including the fact that I can probably make much more as an engineer than I can as a school teacher, it would seem that they would have to (or should) pay math/science teachers at least a little more in order for them to be lured into teaching. I know that if you go into teaching, you must have to really love the work, and there are a lot of (probably most) teachers out there that do it for the love, not the money. But at the same time, I have a mortgage to pay off, and I'll be starting a family, so I want to have a decent income (nothing extravagent, just enough to live comfortably in my modest house). And I definitely agree, good elementary school teachers are invaluable.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommydebs View Post
Paying math and science teachers more is an idea that is being floated around by polititions but is not popular in the education world. To say that a high school math teacher is more important than the kindergarden teacher that started a student on their path to learning can cause quite the debate over in education land!!!!
Could also be looked at as competition for services. That math or science teacher may possibly have an education/skill set/experience level in demand by industry. In order to lure these individuals into teaching, the pay has to be attractive.

Another way of looking at it; Could just as many kindergarten teachers serve as high school math and science teachers as high school math and science teachers serve as kindergarten teachers?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
I went straight through and first got a bachelor's degree in education and then a masters in education. The education I recieved was great, but the timing was not. Schools want teachers with experience and advanced degrees. Having a master's degree was not helpful in getting a job. I would teach for a few years and then go back for the master's degree. That is what school seem to prefer. And, I have not known public schools to pay above the salary schedule for math and science teachers.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:51 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
I'm a secondary science teacher. I do not get paid any more/less than the teachers in other disciplines. Having a mEd. will get you a salary increase. One perk for math/science teachers is there are more grants/scholarships to help pay for your degree. I'm not certain it still exists, but my student loans were forgiven a certain amount for every year I taught science in a title I school.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:15 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
I'm a secondary science teacher..
Hey Teach,

If pies are square, then why do they cut the corners off when they sell them?

If I throw butter out of window, will I see butter fly?

If the sun is too hot, would it help if we go there at night instead?

Why do they want us to stare at orange juice cartons before we drink it? Why do they say "concentrate" on the label?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,288,355 times
HB2HSV

Thanks, I needed the laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area