Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 06:48 AM

278 posts, read 910,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edotabin View Post
The real issue is that is only takes one. You can't really go on stats.
I so agree with this statement. I grew up in Florida and there can always be those 'fluke' years when the unexpected happens. I don't think too many people who live here give fear a foothold...we just hang in there and believe for the best. If the best doesn't happen then we pitch in and help our neighbors get through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 10:37 AM

17 posts, read 59,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
At least with a hurricane you get warnings, where you do not with Tornados, Flooding, Ice Storms, etc.
I have to agree there. My husband and I want very much to move our family to FL. We were just discussing yesterday that at least with a hurricane you have time to get out...with a tornado, you're stuck . I know none of Fl is 100% safe, but can anyone tell me if Palm Coast is pretty safe? We visited there in 2004 (from MI), and we really want to move there . We would love more information on the town.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 10,634 times
I moved to North Central Florida in 2005. My family has been here for 20 years and I believe North Central Florida experiences the least of terrors when it comes down to storms. Plus it's closer to Georgia and easier to evacuate if need be.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:58 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
Florida has tornadoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless_36 View Post
I have to agree there. My husband and I want very much to move our family to FL. We were just discussing yesterday that at least with a hurricane you have time to get out...with a tornado, you're stuck . I know none of Fl is 100% safe, but can anyone tell me if Palm Coast is pretty safe? We visited there in 2004 (from MI), and we really want to move there . We would love more information on the town.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
This question is a lot like an airline claiming it has an unequaled safety record. Making any such claim is almost a sure fire method to jinx a lucky streak.

Take into account the number of cities that have been damaged or destroyed by hurricanes. In every instance, the majority of the citizens stayed to rebuild right there.

Look how many towns and cities are in the area we (as a nation) refer to as "Tornado Alley." A whole lot of people live in these areas. Some wouldn't move there if it was the last option on the planet and others think it's the best place in the world to live.

All places are a gamble to some degree. I don't really think anyone can make the determination that this or that city is a better bet than the other. I would suggest finding a place to rent in an area you like and trying it on "for size" for a year. At least with renting, you'll get to know the area, feel the neighborhood and learn the pulse of the area. I think that will give you a better idea if you want to risk moving to an area that "might some day" be hit by a hurricane or struck by lightening or washed away in a flood.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,035 times
Default Is Kissimmee bad for tornadoes???

Just a quick question.. I've been trying to find out how bad the tornadoes are in the Kissimmee, Orlando area.. We are thinking about relocating.. but after reading about the Kissimmee tornado outbreak .. I'm a little worriedDo the hit the city areas, or more off.. in the county.. and how often??

Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christtca View Post
but after reading about the Kissimmee tornado outbreak .. I'm a little worriedDo the hit the city areas, or more off.. in the county.. and how often??
The tornado outbreak? You make it sound like the flu or plague.

Tornadoes are not new. We started keeping records of such things in 1950, when there were 6 tornadoes in Florida.

To se how your state ranks, see the link: The Disaster Center Risk of Tornado by State Just click on any state to see the statistics. It tells the frequency, the number of deaths, cost in damages.

The only state that seems to be immune is Alaska.

You'll need to dress warmly there.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:07 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times
well neither coast is safe but certain parts are less likely I suppose.. I lived in Naples the SW portion. .The way Naples is situated the hurricanes must come around the bottom of cuba and turn a hard right to hit us head on. We always get skirted or the outer bands but never slammed like say Miami where they can just kinda barrel in from the Atlantic. The exception to that one was Wilma which hit us head on in 05.. In the 24 years I lived in Naples Wilma was the only one I can recall that his us head one like that. Donna was another one but that was in the 60's. We do get them that come across from the east coast then to us, but after going across the Everglades they loose a bit of steam.. You're not safe anywhere you live in Fla really.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:17 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Hello, what parts of florida are safer to live in from hurricanes? The east coast or Gulf of Mexico area? Please let me know....We are thinking about visiting and maybe moving there. But really not sure what side is safer from the weather? Thanks !!

The Gulf of Mexico side HAS been safer historically. Until 2004, when FOUR storms hit, it had not been hit with an actual hurricane since Donna in the Sixties.

However, even without getting wind damage, you have to consider that some places in Florida flood when it rains too hard...and what happens when the power goes out, for several days?

Happened to me in Arcadia, after severe T-storms, our power went out...and while we had a gas heater and stove, we couldn't get hot water...or ANY water, because the electric ran the well pump.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 9,083 times
Default Best Place in Florida

There is no guarantee anywhere, but a good place to start is away from the coast. Central Florida is the safest place, I live in Marion County (ocala), and we have low insurance and taxes. Check this website at [url=http://www.shopandcomparerates.com]Compare Homeowner's Insurance Rates[/url] . Insurance is about as cheap as it gets in Marion county and other central counties. We are also 70-100 ft. above sea level so that helps too. I lived on the West and East coast of FL and lately the East side has been hit more (2006). The insurance companies know the safest place in FL, check out the web site and happy hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes