Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 07:12 PM

199 posts, read 316,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFamily View Post
Hunter with broken leg in Idaho wilderness crawls for days until rescue

Yikes. What a very blessed man he is. To all of our hunters and back country enthusiasts: Be safe out there!
You had a bad link, fixed it for you.....

Hunter with broken leg in Idaho wilderness crawls for days until rescue | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 09:41 AM

356 posts, read 520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra don View Post
Thanks, Sierra Don, and my apologies. I usually check my links, but I was in a hurry. Opps.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:28 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Many of us look forward to becoming Idahoans--but most of us plan to move, and not stay put and petition for borders to change!

La Grande man calling for secession to Idaho - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Old 09-27-2015, 08:47 AM

356 posts, read 520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Many of us look forward to becoming Idahoans--but most of us plan to move, and not stay put and petition for borders to change!

La Grande man calling for secession to Idaho - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

Having escaped an underrepresented (more like UNrepresented) part of California, I can feel the poor guy's pain.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:37 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

I know a guy here who moved from E. Oregon about 12 years ago for the reasons mentioned by the man in La Grande. The fellow I know brought his business with him, and Idaho Falls was a good business choice for him as there's a good local market here for it, and it's grown substantially since. He's very happy for his decision in that area of his life.

But in his personal life, he's pretty miserable. He still deeply misses all of his old friends, family, and all of the common stuff that's found in a community where someone has lived most of a life, and hasn't been able to replicate much of that life here, even though he's tried.

Whenever I run into him, all he does is talk about how things are in Oregon. He continues to make frequent long drives back to his old home place, more now than before, as his son has taken over most of the business day-to-day stuff. He likes our politics, but little else here, and while I doubt he will ever return, has always been miserable here. Even though he never stays as long as he would like, he still constantly returns to the place he left behind to find happiness.

It's very easy to take for granted all the everyday little good things in a person's life; friendships, close associations, local clubs, and the like. All that is always left behind in a big move. For a social person like him, the loss was harder to bear than he realized, and he is still very conflicted, all these years later.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:14 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Idaho Humane Society Takes In Dogs from Wildfire-Devastated California | Citydesk | Boise Weekly

http://media2.fdncms.com/boiseweekly...4/budha_2_.jpg

Idaho Humane Society
Budha is one of more than 50 dogs who were transferred to the Idaho Humane Society this week from California shelters overwhelmed from wildfires.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:51 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Lawsuit filed in Idaho over Common Core

Lawsuit filed in Idaho over Common Core | North Idaho - KXLY.com

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -
A group made up of about a dozen individuals along with the Idaho Freedom Foundation and Idaho Business Alliance filed a federal lawsuit saying that Congress never approved Common Core curriculum and if states are going to make agreements with one another that has to happen.

Common Core has been at the center of controversy since it was adopted in Idaho and Washington schools. Now its legality is being questioned in Idaho.[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 10-06-2015 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Post links, not full articles

Old 10-06-2015, 01:38 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
There is a Common Core thread for the above post ^^^^. I still get comments about it.

Ironically, this is about school too, at least a substitue teacher. I remember BanjoMike 's post telling Sage that currently not much was required to be a Substitute Teacher besides a pulse. I can't remember the thread so this will have to do.

I think Mike assumed certain behaviors would be avoided, even if a sub wasn't the brightest of the sub crew that day. Unfortunately, I believe the Marsh Valley School District may have reached a new level of low last week.

Marsh Valley substitute teacher facing drug charges after being "disoriented" in classroom - East Idaho News

I admit I laughed when I read the comments below, although this is not a laughing matter. FWIW, the news reports stated no problems were seen before lunch.

What do you think?

MSR

Old 10-06-2015, 05:25 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
There is a Common Core thread for the above post ^^^^. I still get comments about it.

Ironically, this is about school too, at least a substitue teacher. I remember BanjoMike 's post telling Sage that currently not much was required to be a Substitute Teacher besides a pulse. I can't remember the thread so this will have to do.

I think Mike assumed certain behaviors would be avoided, even if a sub wasn't the brightest of the sub crew that day. Unfortunately, I believe the Marsh Valley School District may have reached a new level of low last week.

Marsh Valley substitute teacher facing drug charges after being "disoriented" in classroom - East Idaho News

I admit I laughed when I read the comments below, although this is not a laughing matter. FWIW, the news reports stated no problems were seen before lunch.

What do you think?

MSR
I substituted only a few times- no more than 10 at the most- but in one instance, the teacher had left me a long instruction sheet and copies of a test I was to give to his classes. Essentially, all the wordy instructions amounted to Pass out the test sheets, make sure their names are on them and say nothing.

I could have been drunk that day and would have done fine. The test was nothing but makework.

On other occasions, though, I took a guitar in to some of the classes where I subbed for a music teacher, and during others, I let the kids be the teachers while I asked (or answered) their questions and vice versa, being a student to them. That role reversal was both informative and fun for the kids and me. Sometimes I would teach some Idaho history.
I did enjoy actually teaching the kids, and tried to teach them something they weren't going to get from the curriculum, like the tidbits of Idaho history, or the Bo Diddley lick on the guitar. The pay wasn't all that much, but if a person was to be ambitious and get enrolled with both school districts, I think a full-time job could be made of it.

The substitutes are interesting. Some only want to sub in the earliest primary grades only, while others only want high school. No one wants Jr. high, but I found jr. high to be actually more fun than high school. I didn't want to do the primary grades at all. 6th grade was the youngest I would take.

Another aspect to it is the health of the teachers. I found I tended to sub for a few teachers a lot more than the others. I learned later that they had some chronic health issues and had to go to a clinic or something frequently. Those teachers talked to their kids and learned which subs the kids liked or not, and the teachers would request subs the kids liked.

At least back then, a person didn't have to possess a degree or even know much. As long as a substitute had no criminal record, owned a white shirt and a tie, and arrived on time, that was all that was required. Substitutes were mostly just temp sheepdogs hired to keep the flock out of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho