Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know exactly where it is? At first I assumed that since it had the word cabin in it that we were talking something most people could afford. I know the dream home ones are all but unattainable. Well, 2012 was $700K, 2013 was $500K and last year was $891K. If it even averages in 2015 you are talking hundreds of $K in tax. Oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
I've been buying "cabin" magazines ever since we bought our property, and watching "cabin" shows on HGTV etc. What some people have the nerve to call a "cabin" I'd call a Log Manshion. 16 bedrooms! Private golf course and lake dock! It seems there are only two criteria for calling something a cabin: Mostly made of wood, and somewhat remote! I'm sure the Harrison "cabin" will be more modest, but not as modest as it used to be.

There was an article in the Spokesman Review years ago, around 2007. It was called "The Vanishing Cabin." It was a great little piece. What they were talking about was the little cabin in the woods/on the lake, the precious summer retreat off the grid.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:55 AM

356 posts, read 520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I just want to WIN it! Where do you enter, or maybe it is not open yet? I just picked out my master suite details.
Exactly.

Same question, though. How does one register to win? I voted, but that was it. There was no option to register my email address or anything like that. I poked around the website a bit, but was unable to find an answer. Could someone help me out, please? (It's possible that the magic security stuff Daddy Lion puts on the computers is blocking stuff.)

Last edited by LionFamily; 01-23-2015 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Very poor wording!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 AM

159 posts, read 305,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labellavita116 View Post
Actually, what it is, is they have preselected "ideas" for you to choose from. Like right now they have things to vote on for the master bedroom. A platform bed or a bed with storage underneath it. The pictures that you see aren't what will be in the cabin, they are just representative of the idea "which do you like better, platform bed or a bed with storage underneath."

I would absolutely love, love, LOVE to win this, already see myself in it. But unless something big happened I can't say that I can afford the taxes on it (guess I should check out the Kootenai rates). From other DIY cabins that they have given away previously, the cabins often range in the $500k-$800k range.
Thank you so much for clarifying that for me! That make much more sense. So how do you register or is it not open yet?

I agree, I would Love to win this too! We have been working for the past several years to get moved to NID. This would definitely help, but your right the taxes are probably outrages! Anything on any land up there has high taxes, so add a nice cabin............Yikes! I can only imagine. But still it would be so nice!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:43 AM

151 posts, read 203,978 times
The address is:

26508 S Highway 97
Harrison, ID 83833

The highway runs alongside the lake. There are houses on the lake and the highway separates those houses from the Blog Cabin, which sits on a hill there. So the cabin does not sit directly on the water, but is on a hill which overlooks the lake. It will have a fantastic view!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM

Right now you can vote for features of the cabin, the actual voting to win the cabin is not open yet.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memomfive View Post
I agree, I would Love to win this too! We have been working for the past several years to get moved to NID. This would definitely help, but your right the taxes are probably outrages! Anything on any land up there has high taxes, so add a nice cabin............Yikes! I can only imagine. But still it would be so nice!
IT would make a great family vacation! Then we'd have to sell it. But that money would certainly fund our own dream cabin.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I've been buying "cabin" magazines ever since we bought our property, and watching "cabin" shows on HGTV etc. What some people have the nerve to call a "cabin" I'd call a Log Manshion. 16 bedrooms! Private golf course and lake dock! It seems there are only two criteria for calling something a cabin: Mostly made of wood, and somewhat remote! I'm sure the Harrison "cabin" will be more modest, but not as modest as it used to be.

There was an article in the Spokesman Review years ago, around 2007. It was called "The Vanishing Cabin." It was a great little piece. What they were talking about was the little cabin in the woods/on the lake, the precious summer retreat off the grid.
LOL, I've noticed that too! Never knew a "cabin" could be 7000 sq ft.

I LOVE timber frame homes, but golly they tend to only come in uber McMansion size. I don't need a huge house, even if I could afford the price of one (timber frames are expensive). I do love the the high ceilings, the rustic wood, how they go perfectly with that masonry heater I would love to have.... (but I digress...). I've been collecting pictures and ideas for that dream home I'd like to build.

If you watch the videos that go along with the CDA blog cabin you will see the designer mentioning taking the metal roofing off off of the cabin before demolition and possibly using it on a wall (I think that is what he said, guess I need to watch them again myself, LOL). I kind of cringed inside, I wouldn't want this cabin to look like a NYC highrise metal/glam apartment in north Idaho. I'm sure this cabin will be more "modern mountain" than country. "Modern" kind of scares me. It can be OK, I've seen some properties in like Mountain Living magazine that are modern and are still OK, they are more simple, but some are more like a NYC highrise metal/glam apartment... time will tell what they do here. I'm trying to not bite my fingernails.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:03 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labellavita116 View Post
The address is:

26508 S Highway 97
Harrison, ID 83833

!
That is it, you can see it from the road in street view and make out the main cabin and shop in earth or bird's eye view. That is near Driftwood Point, 15 miles north of the town of Harrison and 21 miles from CDA. Have you seen any talk about if it has a dock?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
That is it, you can see it from the road in street view and make out the main cabin and shop in earth or bird's eye view. That is near Driftwood Point, 15 miles north of the town of Harrison and 21 miles from CDA. Have you seen any talk about if it has a dock?
It is not on the water, no dock, but in one of the many posts on the DIY Network concerning the cabin, someone said it had dock access. Public dock? Not sure where though. I do try to read the replies but I've not kept up with them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: