Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times

Advertisements

We've had wolves, cougars, coyotes, black bears and grizzlies move through our place with no trouble at all even during lambing season (thanks to our beloved Great Pyrenees) but the one predator that has killed chickens and nearly just killed our beloved cat George is a stinking raccoon.

Since the last Great Pyr passed last fall we've taken to keeping the cats inside at night but George figured out how to open the screen door and let himself out on Friday night, not coming back when we called for him.
Saturday morning he crawled out from under the porch, soaking wet and hypothermic, covered in blood from where the coon chewed up his hind legs and tail. He's recovering but in a lot of pain and at the vets on fluids and iv painkillers and antibiotics.

So beware of raccoons and keep your cats up to date on rabies shots. (Also, you don't want coons hanging around because their poop can carry the pathogen that transmits Raccoon Roundworm Encephalitis).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 AM

199 posts, read 316,183 times
Sorry to hear about your cat, hope he pulls through okay........cat's are about my favorite animal, have a bunch of them.

I hate Raccoon's, they are nothing but trouble. Had one last night spread 2 bags of aluminum cans around and try to get into my chicken coop, killed 2 chickens last year.

Chased coyotes that were trying to get my neighbors chickens on 2 different days last week, it was in the middle of the day, kind of rare for me to see them around here during daytime, they are usually here between 2 and 5 am, I use a trail cam to get the time. I've lost a few cats to them, been my fault, missing one at evening head count when I get them indoors.

Also last week in the evening I had to dispatch a rabid skunk, it was a brown and white one, never seen this coloring before. After a little research it seems they come in a few color variations.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:26 AM

551 posts, read 804,567 times
Sorry to hear about what happened to your cat. Hope he heals quickly and gets back to go back home soon.

Are there a lot of coons around here? I haven't seen any around my place but I guess they are mostly nocturnal. I think I read somewhere that you have to be careful with coons because of the possibility of rabies. Are they considered a pest so the ones that become bothersome can be handled like rats/mice?

Old 06-09-2015, 10:37 AM

37 posts, read 51,319 times
Thanks for the info. For the first time ever, last week at night we had two racoons playing in the backyard and they didn't seem too afraid of us... We too have a beloved cat, so we'll especially watch out for him

Old 06-09-2015, 10:43 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
There are a lot of coons and the ones we've laid eyes on seem bigger than the ones we saw back east. Maybe coincidence, I don't know. But at least when we had the Pyrenees, they weren't so bold but they did manage to slide under the Pyr radar to a degree. Now they are very bold.

We had to shoot one that continually tried to get into the chicken coop and the dogs had him treed in broad daylight. He was HUGE. This one I caught a glimpse of on my porch and he's a pretty good size too.

We don't have any animal food outside nor trash so they only thing I can think that he is hanging around for is our cats.

Going to have to get a trap.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:07 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,952 times
Thanks for the heads up, and I hope George has a full and speedy recovery.

Dave

Old 06-09-2015, 03:47 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
You, Raccoons inhabit the entire state, but not everywhere inside the state boundaries. Most are found along our larger rivers and lakes.

My brother had a mother raccoon who built her nest up in a cottonwood in front of his house, next to a ditch that runs along next to the road. She attacked all his dogs several times while she was raising her litter, but they all packed up on her and avoided major damage. She did get one of his cats, though, before moving off to easier territory.

They're right up there on my predator list, too. But to me, the wood tick is Idaho's greatest predator. The diseases they carry can make just about any animal or human very, very ill. With all the recent rain, I expect this to be a bad tick year. keep your long pants on when in the boonies, and wear a long-sleeved shirt! The sun tan ain't worth the tick bite.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:50 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The sun tan ain't worth the tick bite.
Nor, the cancer!33

Coons are also known to get distemper and can pass it on to dogs, and also get Parvo (but not sure if they can pass that onto a dog). It was a big problem when I lived in MI. I used to shoot at least one coon a month in the back acres in broad daylight, while they were walking like a drunk soldier.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:22 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You, Raccoons inhabit the entire state, but not everywhere inside the state boundaries. Most are found along our larger rivers and lakes.

My brother had a mother raccoon who built her nest up in a cottonwood in front of his house, next to a ditch that runs along next to the road. She attacked all his dogs several times while she was raising her litter, but they all packed up on her and avoided major damage. She did get one of his cats, though, before moving off to easier territory.

They're right up there on my predator list, too. But to me, the wood tick is Idaho's greatest predator. The diseases they carry can make just about any animal or human very, very ill. With all the recent rain, I expect this to be a bad tick year. keep your long pants on when in the boonies, and wear a long-sleeved shirt! The sun tan ain't worth the tick bite.
You are so correct here! We went to the Horseshoe Bend area looking at property and within 20 mins, I had 1 on me and my husband found 3. Lucky they were just crawling fast.......needless to say, we won't be looking at land in the backcountry in that area. Sure is beautiful, but prime weather and land for the ticks to survive. I have heard in town they're not so bad.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:24 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Nor, the cancer!33

Coons are also known to get distemper and can pass it on to dogs, and also get Parvo (but not sure if they can pass that onto a dog). It was a big problem when I lived in MI. I used to shoot at least one coon a month in the back acres in broad daylight, while they were walking like a drunk soldier.
Good to know! I didn't know this. Great, keeping my dogs from acting or at least trying to get it out of the yard would not be a fun site. At least I know now they carry distemper, I assumed rabies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho