Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 10:40 PM

607 posts, read 2,369,853 times

Advertisements

Folks, looking for suggestions for a family outing for mid July. I have heard Sandpoint is nice. Is there a neighboring town that would offer a "same" experience but might be a little easier to find a hotel at a decent price. This would be our first time to the state and could use some help. Family of 5 with 2 teenagers and one pre teen. from the images I have seen the lake area seems pretty fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 AM

820 posts, read 1,741,097 times
In short... No. Sandpoint has some small towns around it, but like CDA, it is a tourist destination in the summer so all the rates are higher. You could go 30 miles and see a better rate, but time vs value that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:13 PM

8,505 posts, read 8,811,218 times
You could check around Priest River (or Priest Lake?). Even more different: Post Falls or St. Maries.

If your focus is Sandpoint, stay close or real close. If you want North Idaho and Sandpoint itself is only a piece of your time schedule, you might be able to stay further out, at less one night.

Depends if the lodging is just for 9pm to 9 am or you want a lake base to wander in and out of all day.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-12-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 06:00 PM

181 posts, read 270,847 times
Default Area is nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Folks, looking for suggestions for a family outing for mid July. I have heard Sandpoint is nice. Is there a neighboring town that would offer a "same" experience but might be a little easier to find a hotel at a decent price. This would be our first time to the state and could use some help. Family of 5 with 2 teenagers and one pre teen. from the images I have seen the lake area seems pretty fun.
Just be advised, it's been warm so potential fires are a possibility. Be prepared for road closures, area closures, etc.

But otherwise enjoy.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:27 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,751,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
You could check around Priest River (or Priest Lake?). Even more different: Post Falls or St. Maries.

If your focus is Sandpoint, stay close or real close. If you want North Idaho and Sandpoint itself is only a piece of your time schedule, you might be able to stay further out, at less one night.

Depends if the lodging is just for 9pm to 9 am or you want a lake base to wander in and out of all day.
Priest River has one motel and it’s not so nice. Priest Lake is gorgeous..more so than Lake Pend Oreille but more limited on hotels. And they are pricey too and book up early since summer is high tourist season.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:59 AM

Beyond the motel, there are a handful of cabins listed on airbnb for Priest River and other sites with offerings.

For Priest Lake I see cabins from $150 to way up.

It depends what is wanted and making the effort to check out the possibilities.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,751,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Beyond the motel, there are a handful of cabins listed on airbnb for Priest River and other sites with offerings.

For Priest Lake I see cabins from $150 to way up.

It depends what is wanted and making the effort to check out the possibilities.
It’s so nice that you have enough time on your hands and inclination to search the internet for info on places you’re not familiar with.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:27 PM

Yes it is nice I try as hard as I do.

I know the area to the level of around 10 visits over the years (usually a week or more) to the general area and to the specific locations. I almost always camp though.

Cabins offered on internet are viable options whether you recognize them or count them. With your vast experience in area I'd think you'd lead on knowing about and mentioning and perhaps rating the other options. Thanks for rating the motel.

But this OP, like many OPs, has never responded. So maybe I won't try as hard to help. Maybe. But if it amuses you, there's that.

I gave the OP very general feedback. Options. Left room for the locals to do anything beyond that. Seemed about right to me.

Nice that you've found time to post twice as often as I have. Sincere about that. It is not a competition though. We all do as we think helps, if we have / make the time and feel like trying.

For me it has been less than one post per day on average. That usually doesn't take much time. But it probably will be less in future.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-23-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho