Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 PM

17 posts, read 43,800 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I thank everyone for posting, all the info I have gathered has helped me a lot. I am looking to move to the Southeast Idaho region soon and I was curious what kind of jobs there are in Pocatello and Idaho Falls. What jobs seem to be hiring? Where is a good place to work? Input would be most helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 PM

210 posts, read 946,819 times
What kind of work experience do you have or what are you interested in? If you just want a $8-10/hour job and don't care what it is there are many to be had. Many business are still having trouble finding employees even with the recent downturn. It hasn't hit too hard here.

If you let us know a little about your background and interests I'm sure many of us can give you some specific information but otherwise it's just be a shot in the dark.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,097 times
go to the labor dept. site, you can find the link I posted last time someone asked this question if you use the search this forum feature.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:34 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,433,954 times
Thumbs up Idaho Falls - the 2nd Job Market in the U.S.

Per this KIDK story, Idaho Falls is the #2 job market in the U.S. Top 25 Job Markets in the County | KIDK CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Idaho Falls - Pocatello - Blackfoot, ID - Idaho Falls, Pocatello, Blackfoot - Idaho | News (http://www.kidk.com/news/33544884.html - broken link)

I don't know all the criteria used for the ranking except low unemployment.

Just to be thorough, it should be noted that Pocatello ranked #25.

I do agree with a comment I read elsewhere (different post) that with Areva coming, other development and industry expansion, economics seem to be as stable in Idaho Falls as I've seen in many states.

If you didn't get that connection to the Labor Department yet, this is it:

Job Listings & Searches - Idaho.gov. Idaho Falls is located in Bonneville County, District VII. Check it out often as jobs do change frequently depending on new businesses.

MSR

Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 PM

17 posts, read 43,800 times
hey everyone, sorry i havent posted back in a while. I am finishing my Bachelors degree and I am going to work on a Masters in Sociology afterwards. I like the Pocatello/Idaho Falls area and I would be interested in finding a job within that specific field. Any ideas?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,880 times
Default Know who's Interviewing You Before Moving to I.F.

I moved here from CA 4 years ago and am finding it very hard to find a job now. I was trying to sell Real Estate at first but I've become very aware of the ways of this area and would caution anyone who is NOT LDS before moving here. This is a very small, Mormon community. Your interviewer asks questions that may take you off guard. I've noticed this a lot lately since the economy is what it is. You might get questions such as: Do you have Family here? How many children do you have, etc. While these questions are illegal with the State and other Government agencies, privately owned business still ask. If you are a single woman interviewing with a married LDS woman, forget it. They are the most insecure group of women I've ever met.

Mormon's will always take care of their own first. I caution anyone wanting to move here. Especially now that the economy is so uncertain.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM

210 posts, read 946,819 times
spartan4411

I'm out of my depth in that field, so I'm not much help.

With state budget holdbacks it might be tough in that field, but there is turnover in Social Work because people tend to burn out. Outside of Health and Welfare and Social Work/ group homes, I'm not sure. I know some people with a MA in Sociology, and I think it may be tough to find a job in that field here right now that pays a decent wage.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 PM

I've been on the waiting list for a position w/ Health and Welfare since Aug 2008, with high test scores. I also get all the State of Idaho employment listings emailed to me regularly. I wouldn't bet on a position with Health and Welfare right now, at least in SE Idaho.

I have to say, as a non LDS person, I am strongly offended by the bigoted and false remarks here pertaining to this community.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 AM

31 posts, read 78,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I've been on the waiting list for a position w/ Health and Welfare since Aug 2008, with high test scores. I also get all the State of Idaho employment listings emailed to me regularly. I wouldn't bet on a position with Health and Welfare right now, at least in SE Idaho.

I have to say, as a non LDS person, I am strongly offended by the bigoted and false remarks here pertaining to this community.
I would have to say that's fair, as the previous comments certainly don't pertain to everyone in the community. But I also think it needs to be said that there is religious discrimination that occurs in this area of the state on a regular basis. Having grown up in the midwest, I can honestly say I was never once asked what faith I was by anyone unless they were close friends and it was brought up in a discussion about beliefs. Here I am repeatedly asked within my first interactions with people.

It happens with jobs as well. I witnessed first hand an entire management group force two non-mormon managers out of their divisions in order to promote within their ward. I've also been told I was edged out for a position on the basis that myself and another candidate had equal work experience, but since they had gone on a mission, that counted as management experience.

It is by far the minority within the LDS religion that participate in this type of behavior. In fact, it's probably just as bad in any other religion, but the concentration of LDS members in this area makes it more visible and prevalent to those of us who feel in the minority. Almost every LDS person I have been around is of great character and are nonjudgmental in every way. It's too bad a misled few can tarnish the image of a large group of people who themselves frown on the behavior. I myself separate the actions of individuals from their religions, but I can certainly see how some people might not be able to nor care to make that distinction.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho