Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 06:43 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times

Advertisements

Hi from NID! Yes, we're home, on our own front porch (well, not this minute, I 'm seizing the opportunity of being in a 4G zone to stop by and say hi). Wearing a winter sweater, watching the most amazing rain clouds, breathing real air, loving it! See you guys later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hi from NID! Yes, we're home, on our own front porch (well, not this minute, I 'm seizing the opportunity of being in a 4G zone to stop by and say hi). Wearing a winter sweater, watching the most amazing rain clouds, breathing real air, loving it! See you guys later.
I'll bet you are!
It's been cooler down here too, and I put on a heavy overshirt last night. Today was overcast, but no rain. A great day to do some lawn work!

The sprinkler system in my back yard slowly went south, and the yard is impossible to keep looking good with a hose and lawn sprinkler. Spent most of the day in sopping wet pants, helping a guy who knows sprinklers replace heads, dig a new line, etc. Still have some tweaking to do, but I'm giving the yard a real good soaking right now. Got a ton of stuff I want to do with it this summer.

Best to all who are coming in with dirty knees and sore backs. I recommend a shot of good whiskey over ice as a remarkable curative.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:52 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,480 times
I have been sore for almost two months! I am out of whiskey! Been working on the "back" porch. Total frame off restoration. All pressure treated joists on 16" centers. Every deck board removed, sanded all sides and stained twice. All new composite railing. Custom "boom" bench with marine speakers. Hauser lake in the background.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
I have been sore for almost two months! I am out of whiskey! Been working on the "back" porch. Total frame off restoration. All pressure treated joists on 16" centers. Every deck board removed, sanded all sides and stained twice. All new composite railing. Custom "boom" bench with marine speakers. Hauser lake in the background.
Nice work!

I'm sharing your pain, and mine hasn't even started yet. After I beat my backyard into semi-civilized condition, I'm going to stain my fence and my deck, paint my tool shed,and build some benches for the deck.

Here's a bench I built for a downtown beautification project in 2005.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bench1a.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	171147

Old 06-15-2016, 08:05 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Nice cigar, E! And the fence is nice, too!
Mike, very pretty bench, but it looks like it will be hard to play...
Our immediate project is to sand and stain doors! That will give you a sore back, too. I know from last year!

We're making plans for a garden, but that will have to be next year. We've got a new nursery in town with a lot of great options. Nice to see new businesses opening. And one piece of property across from us that had been for sale since we got our place just sold. So it seems like there's a bit of economic recovery going on.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:56 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,157,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Here's a bench I built for a downtown beautification project in 2005.
That's clever! and looks great.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
That's clever! and looks great.
The competition paid $3000 to the winners. About 15 designs won in all.

My own benches won't take anywhere close to the kind of work I put into the Piano Bench. Inlaying the 'keys' took me 3 weeks, and the entire bench took 60 days straight to complete. Some of them took their makers much more time than mine did. I passed on a private offer to make another.

I'll use the same wood- ipé is great for outdoor furniture, and I already have a design I drew a while back. It will only take an afternoon to build it and a couple of more days of coating and waiting for the weatherproofing to dry. I learned long ago that varnishing outdoor furniture is an exercise in futility. I'm still waiting for a polymer varnish that is totally UV resistant.

6 coats of the best stuff available will only give you 10 years, max, before it has to be re-done to some extent, and I would rather be beaten on the lips with a hammer than to do a varnish restoration on than anything more complex than a flat door.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:17 PM

51 posts, read 46,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Aww you're gonna miss it. The AV is supposed to be 5 degrees warmer than Dubai on Monday

Old 06-15-2016, 11:38 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,610,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Ha, only good thing of AZ here is TotalWine stores & their booze. It anesthesizes half this state to what is real going on in the US.

PS - Me included

Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 AM

279 posts, read 485,967 times
June 16th... the lingering snow on the mountain tops was all but gone. Then last night happened and woke up to this:

Going back into the 90's early next week. Sounds about right for June!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho