Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2023, 08:15 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Reziac!
Report from CFF'S Front Porch: the nights are getting chilly! The aspen leaves are starting to turn! The CF market is back on winter time. Morning walks with the dogs require a jacket now. How delightful. Just like where I grew up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 08:22 AM

Hey, a question: we're about to plant a few fruit trees and bushes. We want an apple tree that produces crisp, early-fall apples. Any suggestions?

Old 09-20-2023, 09:51 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hey, a question: we're about to plant a few fruit trees and bushes. We want an apple tree that produces crisp, early-fall apples. Any suggestions?
No matter what variety of apple you choose, it is going to be much better grown at home and picked when ripe. So you can't lose. Look for apples that have disease resistance and that ripen early so you can get apples before they freeze.

I've got apple trees here in North Idaho, but not old enough for fruit. In Central Oregon, where is is just as cold but less precipitation, I grew yellow delicious, red delicious, gala, zestar, honey crisp, and granny smith, which ripens late and probably won't work here.

I also grew, but do not recommend, Arkansas Black which isn't worth the effort and yellow transparent, which is an awful apple and went into dog food.

Zestar is an exceptionally good early apple. It will be off the trees before the freezing weather. Yellow delicious is excellent when grown at home. It is nothing like store bought and it is good fresh and it makes excellent pies, getting tender but holding its shape. Red delicious will surprise you when home grown. Try for a red delicious with as little red as possible and that will be an earlier and better variety.

I also have (ahem) one that shall remain nameless and it is doing well here, but won't have apples for another couple of years.

For grapes, I recommend Canadice.

Pears: comice, bosc, moonglow, seckle. all are good pears.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 09-20-2023 at 10:01 AM..

Old 09-22-2023, 08:43 AM

Thanks for great apple advice! We visited the local nursery yesterday and found out that we need two different varieties for pollination. So many choices!

Old 09-22-2023, 08:58 AM

524 posts, read 152,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No matter what variety of apple you choose, it is going to be much better grown at home and picked when ripe. So you can't lose. Look for apples that have disease resistance and that ripen early so you can get apples before they freeze.

I've got apple trees here in North Idaho, but not old enough for fruit. In Central Oregon, where is is just as cold but less precipitation, I grew yellow delicious, red delicious, gala, zestar, honey crisp, and granny smith, which ripens late and probably won't work here.

I also grew, but do not recommend, Arkansas Black which isn't worth the effort and yellow transparent, which is an awful apple and went into dog food.

Zestar is an exceptionally good early apple. It will be off the trees before the freezing weather. Yellow delicious is excellent when grown at home. It is nothing like store bought and it is good fresh and it makes excellent pies, getting tender but holding its shape. Red delicious will surprise you when home grown. Try for a red delicious with as little red as possible and that will be an earlier and better variety.

I also have (ahem) one that shall remain nameless and it is doing well here, but won't have apples for another couple of years.

For grapes, I recommend Canadice.

Pears: comice, bosc, moonglow, seckle. all are good pears.
Secret apples! I'll definitely stay tuned to find out what they are! I suppose you've only told those with a "need to know" about them? And would they be in an "undisclosed location"?

Old 09-25-2023, 03:43 PM

Boy Howdy, we're learning lessons about staying in NID after Labor Day! Our solar panels don't give us enough juice to last the evening. Last night I had to cook dinner by the light of battery lanterns. Time to fire up the generator! Our woodstove is belching smoke into the room, apparently because the chimney is cold (no obstruction), so we have to heat up the stove before heating up the stove! But it's all part of learning to be fall-season residents! Baby steps. Among the many plusses: parking is available everywhere in Sandpoint! A Golden Eagle was perched in a tall, dead pine tree right in front of our greatroom windows this morning. We have deer parading all over our meadow. And the dogs behave like ranch dogs now, keeping watch from the front porch.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:40 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times
Quote:
Boy Howdy, we're learning lessons about staying in NID after Labor Day! Our solar panels don't give us enough juice to last the evening. Last night I had to cook dinner by the light of battery lanterns. Time to fire up the generator! Our woodstove is belching smoke into the room, apparently because the chimney is cold (no obstruction), so we have to heat up the stove before heating up the stove! But it's all part of learning to be fall-season residents! Baby steps. Among the many plusses: parking is available everywhere in Sandpoint! A Golden Eagle was perched in a tall, dead pine tree right in front of our greatroom windows this morning. We have deer parading all over our meadow. And the dogs behave like ranch dogs now, keeping watch from the front porch.
Oooh a golden eagle! Jealous. Do they fly this far north (Boundary Co)? Several bald eagle sightings here at the homestead but no goldens...

Old 09-26-2023, 09:49 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
........ Our woodstove is belching smoke into the room, apparently because the chimney is cold (no obstruction), so we have to heat up the stove before heating up the stove! ..........
If your house is well weatherized, you probably have unequal pressure between outside and inside. Try opening a door when you light the wood stove. That will equalize the pressure and let the smoke go up the chimney. It's worth a try.

When you installed the woodstove, you did get a fresh air feed into the fire box, right?

Old 09-27-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Oooh a golden eagle! Jealous. Do they fly this far north (Boundary Co)? Several bald eagle sightings here at the homestead but no goldens...
The Goldens nest along the south bank of the Clark Fork River east of CF, and probably other places. They fly over our place regularly--I saw three this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If your house is well weatherized, you probably have unequal pressure between outside and inside. Try opening a door when you light the wood stove. That will equalize the pressure and let the smoke go up the chimney. It's worth a try.

When you installed the woodstove, you did get a fresh air feed into the fire box, right?
Whatever our contractor did when he installed the woodstove, it performed beautifully all through the winter while he was working on the house. No problem. We called Kuma (the manufacturer), and they suggested opening windows to equal the pressure. You know your woodstoves, OWS!

Old 09-27-2023, 09:32 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times
Quote:
The Goldens nest along the south bank of the Clark Fork River east of CF, and probably other places. They fly over our place regularly--I saw three this morning.
Wonder why I don't see them? Less population of them versus bald eagles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho