Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 07:17 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,613 times

Advertisements

The further into Idaho you get from the Utah state line you will notice less and less dominance of the LDS faith. If you wish to avoid the heavily LDS populated areas than I suggest you avoid the I-15 Corridor in Eastern Idaho, the Preston/Bear Lake area just north of Logan, Utah and the Burley/Rupert areas in the Magic Valley, although the areas I mentioned are great places to live, don't get me wrong, there is a lot of extreme natural beauty on that end of the state and Idaho Falls is one of the finest cities of its size you will encounter. I grew up in the Bannock County,Idaho Falls area so I am aware. Your best bet would be to focus on Western Idaho and the length of the state to North Idaho.

The Boise area has enough religious diversity and Wiccans , and plain non believers that you should do fine here. I feel as many do that the Catholic faith has more influence in Boise than any other religion. There is an LDS Temple in Boise but it is tiny and smaller than most LDS meeting houses. Meridian has somewhat a reputation for density of LDS families, but there are just as many if not more non LDS members in Meridian too.

I do have to say that Idaho LDS members are less judgemental and open and accepting than many of the snooty Utah LDS members who are pretty unaware of what life is like out of their desolate state of Brigham Young's Zion. I apologize if this offends anyone, but I take issue with a lot of LDS members I know and have met from Utah as do a great number of non Utah LDS members I know who are not from Utah and live in other states. Idaho Mormons are of a completely different mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,430,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchlight_Sierra View Post
Actually, these posts are quite enlightening.

But it is good to know that Idaho has some LDS heavy areas, so I can avoid them. We are uncertain about where in the state we will land, but I think it might be best to just try and avoid the LDS people and their issues as much as possible. I have been looking at property around Homestead and Boise, as it seems the skiing is not too far of a drive from there.

I don't know where we will land, but I hope I will find tolerance and respect where ever it is.
These posts certainly are enlightening. I didn't realize so many people, who claim to be tolerant and respectful, have no problem criticizing people they know almost nothing about. And, what they do "know" seems to be mostly secondhand and completely biased. People actually decide not to move here because they're afraid of the LDS influence? With so many posters worrying about the "LDS influence", I have to wonder just what they imagine that influence to be. Jeez, you think it was dangerous to live among Mormons.

I live in eastern Idaho, in a community that has a large LDS population. I am not LDS. In my day to day encounters with LDS folks, I have not had a single negative experience. I do some volunteer work and most of the other volunteers are LDS. You'd never know this if you didn't know the people. Your impression of them would just be, "Wow, these are some of the most friendly, generous people I've ever met". They know I'm not LDS. That doesn't upset them and they have never tried to convert me, nor have they ever treated me differently. They just care about their community and want to make a positive contribution.

When I moved here, I wanted to learn more about the LDS beliefs, because I had heard so many (mostly negative) stories. I wasn't, and still am not, interested in converting. I just wanted to understand a little better. Coming from northern New England, I had never really thought about it before. So, I went to SLC to Temple Square and spent several hours with some missionaries. I told them straight up why I was there. I asked tons of questions. They were not offended in the least. In fact, they both said they appreciated that I was asking them questions, rather than rushing to make blind judgments. I'll be honest, I do not agree with many of the church's requirements and there are some things that make absolutely no sense to me. That's fine. I feel the same way about every organized religion.

There are LDS fundamentalists, as there are those in every religion who take their beliefs so far, and allow them to become so warped, as to become the very antithesis of the faith, spirituality and goodness that we associate with being a religious person. I haven't come across any of those people in my community, LDS or otherwise.

It's us non-LDS types who like to define them solely by their religion. There is a lot more to them than that. Surprise! They consider themselves regular people. They work at the bank and the post office and the grocery store. They operate ranches and outfitters and guide services. They're my neighbors. We like to judge people who practice any religion that we don't understand, and we always judge them by the few extremists that make headlines. All this does is show our ignorance and fear.

And, the whole "the Mormons control everything so you can't drink or have any fun" claims are ridiculous. I live in a fairly small town (< 2000 people). We have a large brewery, a brew pub, a liquor store, every restaurant serves alcohol, there is a drive-through coffee shop, a bike park, an ice rink, a drive-in theater, a restored movie theater/playhouse, and on and on. Oh yeah, we also have some of the country's best fly fishing/MTB/skiing/hiking/climbing/dirt biking/etc. right in our backyard, which sits in the shadow of the Tetons; so, I have to call BS on eastern Idaho being nothing but desert where you'll die of boredom.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:26 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna:
These posts certainly are enlightening. I didn't realize so many people, who claim to be tolerant and respectful, have no problem criticizing people they know almost nothing about. And, what they do "know" seems to be mostly secondhand and completely biased. People actually decide not to move here because they're afraid of the LDS influence? With so many posters worrying about the "LDS influence", I have to wonder just what they imagine that influence to be. Jeez, you think it was dangerous to live among Mormons.

I live in eastern Idaho, in a community that has a large LDS population. I am not LDS. In my day to day encounters with LDS folks, I have not had a single negative experience. I do some volunteer work and most of the other volunteers are LDS. You'd never know this if you didn't know the people. Your impression of them would just be, "Wow, these are some of the most friendly, generous people I've ever met". They know I'm not LDS. That doesn't upset them and they have never tried to convert me, nor have they ever treated me differently. They just care about their community and want to make a positive contribution.

When I moved here, I wanted to learn more about the LDS beliefs, because I had heard so many (mostly negative) stories. I wasn't, and still am not, interested in converting. I just wanted to understand a little better. Coming from northern New England, I had never really thought about it before. So, I went to SLC to Temple Square and spent several hours with some missionaries. I told them straight up why I was there. I asked tons of questions. They were not offended in the least. In fact, they both said they appreciated that I was asking them questions, rather than rushing to make blind judgments. I'll be honest, I do not agree with many of the church's requirements and there are some things that make absolutely no sense to me. That's fine. I feel the same way about every organized religion.

There are LDS fundamentalists, as there are those in every religion who take their beliefs so far, and allow them to become so warped, as to become the very antithesis of the faith, spirituality and goodness that we associate with being a religious person. I haven't come across any of those people in my community, LDS or otherwise.

It's us non-LDS types who like to define them solely by their religion. There is a lot more to them than that. Surprise! They consider themselves regular people. They work at the bank and the post office and the grocery store. They operate ranches and outfitters and guide services. They're my neighbors. We like to judge people who practice any religion that we don't understand, and we always judge them by the few extremists that make headlines. All this does is show our ignorance and fear.

And, the whole "the Mormons control everything so you can't drink or have any fun" claims are ridiculous. I live in a fairly small town (< 2000 people). We have a large brewery, a brew pub, a liquor store, every restaurant serves alcohol, there is a drive-through coffee shop, a bike park, an ice rink, a drive-in theater, a restored movie theater/playhouse, and on and on. Oh yeah, we also have some of the country's best fly fishing/MTB/skiing/hiking/climbing/dirt biking/etc. right in our backyard, which sits in the shadow of the Tetons; so, I have to call BS on eastern Idaho being nothing but desert where you'll die of boredom.
Thank you, tdna! Your post is spot-on and one would think that your experience and reflections would put the LDS bashing "to bed" once and for all. It won't....and that is a shame.

I am a part-time Presbyterian, with a good number of LDS friends and acquaintances. I have worked with them, dined with them, hiked with them, fly fished with them, and even discussed the Mormon religion with them. I have told some of them that I find parts of their faith "peculiar" and even "way out there". None have condemned me for my observations.

Most Mormons I know or have met along the way are hard-working, kind, friendly, descent folks who I am happy to have been associated with or to count as friends. A few have acted "strange", kind of like those "strange" Presbyterians I have known, or those "strange" Catholics I have known, or those "strange" Baptists I have known, or those.....Well, you get the point.

Enlightening, tdna. Good job!

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 06-23-2010, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 22,123 times
Default Thanks for the input...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post

Thanks for the input... it's nice to hear something positive from someone who knows about LDS members. I don't mean to be overly harsh, or an LDS basher. I am just going by what I have heard. Much like, "you may want to avoid going to a certain neighborhood after dark, because it can be dangerous." Do you really want to move there to find out for sure?

Maybe LDS members aren't all "too cool for school," and are capable of conducting themselves in a way that does not offend, or ostracize people who do not share their same beliefs. If so, that is great! I will be so happy if everything I have heard is wrong. I have never lived in their communities, so I don't know what to expect other than what I have heard.

I never said that I thought LDS members do not think of themselves as regular people. Quite the contrary, from what I have heard, I believe that they think of themselves as the baseline against whom all others are compared... and most regular folks just don't make the bar.

If I plan on moving someplace and setting down roots, I want to make sure that I am doing it somewhere that is not slanted or prejudiced against "regular people." I want make sure that I settle in a safe and reasonable community without a lot of whack jobs, gangsters, or zealots (Hence my desire to leave California). I especially don't want to have the feeling that I am "looked down" upon because I don't attend a certain church.

If I start a business, I want to know that people will not avoid it simply because I am not of their faith. I want to know that my children will not be left out because the parents of the other children are concerned that their kids will be "corrupted."

I don't think I am being any more critical than I need to be to ensure that we settle in an area that is appropriate for us.

I am sure there are a lot of gang-bangers that are really great guys too if you know them well enough, but that doesn't mean I want to hang out with them!

Not that I am comparing LDS members to gangsters, but my point is that any majority group can still be a threat without being particularly dangerous if you don't "belong." Even if it's only a threat to your social and economic well being.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 PM

That's your prerogative. If you are not comfortable moving some place, because you "have heard" (nothing you have firsthand knowledge of) that a certain population: views themselves as superior to regular people, will not patronize your business, is not capable of conducting themselves in a way that does not offend, can't manage to not ostracize those who do not share their beliefs, and generally pose a threat to your social and economic well being (wow, those do sound like scary people), then you shouldn't move there. It seems like you, and many others, are making some pretty broad assumptions about parts of Idaho, based on nothing more than hearsay about a certain group of people who happen to live there.

And your comment about not comparing LDS to gangsters? Umm...you pretty much did. Gangbangers, by their very definition, are not good guys. They're violent and take great pride in that. Using that group as an example to try and make a point about large LDS populations is completely off base.

Last edited by tdna; 06-23-2010 at 03:39 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:

And your comment about not comparing LDS to gangsters? Umm...you pretty much did. Gangbangers, by their very definition, are not good guys. They're violent and take great pride in that. Using that group as an example to try and make a point about large LDS populations is completely off base.
My only comparison between the two is that they are both "groups" and as such both respond to outsiders with group dynamics.

I am trying to find information about Idaho, and the LDS population there, and whether or not they are as much of an "issue" for regular people as I have heard.

If you have an issue with my stance, get therapy, or tell someone who cares.

Good guys, bad guys... it's all a matter of perspective. You like LDS, that's great for you, live with them and enjoy! I am looking for more people to corroborate your opinion that they are actually "neighbor friendly" to people outside of their church.

If they are as friendly as you say, then that is a good thing!

It seems to me that you are somehow very threatened by my position, and so you are trying to attack me and draw me into a position where I need to defend my stance.

Last edited by Searchlight_Sierra; 06-23-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 04:09 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchlight_Sierra View Post
...get therapy, or tell someone who cares.
Pot meet kettle.

Sarcasm aside, I have dealt extensively with the LDS population in my area. While they can be insular, I find that is due to familiarity. They know their church brothers well, and are more comfortable around them. I never felt like an outsider, and have not experienced any especially prejudicial (race, buiness, religion, etc) attitudes amongst members of that church.

The members I dealt with were normal people that happened to belong to the LDS church. No different than any other religious sub group I've dealt with, be they Jewish, Muslim, Bahaii or Methodist...

Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Pot meet kettle.

Sarcasm aside, I have dealt extensively with the LDS population in my area. While they can be insular, I find that is due to familiarity. They know their church brothers well, and are more comfortable around them. I never felt like an outsider, and have not experienced any especially prejudicial (race, buiness, religion, etc) attitudes amongst members of that church.

The members I dealt with were normal people that happened to belong to the LDS church. No different than any other religious sub group I've dealt with, be they Jewish, Muslim, Bahaii or Methodist...
Good to hear! Thanks for posting.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 PM

I don't need therapy. I'm well adjusted and happy with my life. And, I can peacefully coexist with just about anyone, even if they have very different thoughts and beliefs. It's too bad you don't feel the same way. I am neither attacking you, nor trying to force you into any position. I don't know how you viewed my comment as an attack. I'm sorry that you feel you have to be defensive. I don't know you and have no issue with you personally. I just don't understand making some of the statements you have made with absolutely no experience to back them up. It's no different than the people who are afraid to move to NID because they've heard all the stories about it being a racist mecca. It's just not true. But, that doesn't stop people, many of whom have never even been there, from continuing to keep all the stupid stereotypes alive and well. It can be very hurtful to the people being wrongly stereotyped. That's what happens when people keep stating someone else's brother's friend's cousin's opinion as fact.

I certainly don't feel threatened by your stance. In fact, I don't think I know what your stance is.

Last edited by tdna; 06-23-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 PM

Default Coexistance

Quote:
I don't need therapy. I'm well adjusted and happy with my life. And, I can peacefully coexist with just about anyone, even if they have very different thoughts and beliefs. It's too bad you don't feel the same way. I am neither attacking you, nor trying to force you into any position. I don't know how you viewed my comment as an attack. I'm sorry that you feel you have to be defensive. I don't know you and have no issue with you personally. I just don't understand making some of the statements you have made with absolutely no experience to back them up. It's no different than the people who are afraid to move to NID because they've heard all the stories about it being a racist mecca. It's just not true. But, that doesn't stop people, many of whom have never even been there, from continuing to keep all the stupid stereotypes alive and well. That's what happens when people keep stating someone else's brother's cousin's opinion as fact.
The experiences that I have heard were secondhand, but some of them come from my girlfriend whose opinion I trust deeply.

I am simply stating what I believe to be true based upon what I have read in these very forums and have heard elsewhere, and I openly stated that it was based upon hearsay.

I have invited opposing viewpoints, In fact, I am hoping that some of you that live in Idaho can allay my concerns about LDS members in your state, and some of you have put forth useful information.

Frankly, I find it a bit odd that members of the LDS church aren't more vocal in this forum, or addressing the issues if they aren't true, or to educate us if they care to be neighbors with regular folks who don't subscribe to their way of life.

My stance is just this:

I have heard and read things about the LDS members, and their judgement of "regular folks" that make them seem less than desirable as neighbors. If they desire to be left alone by "regular people," I can respect that and not infringe upon their communities. But by the same token, I don't want to be told "come on in, the water's fine" and have a problem later.

Granted my statements are a bit generalized and are based somewhat in ignorance, but I have never stated that I know anything at all about LDS policies firsthand.

I am inviting discussion of the topic and inviting those of you who know better to educate me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho