Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 02:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times

Advertisements

I've heard about this shunning from a friend at work who grew up non-LDS in Rexburg, where the other (LDS) kids were cruel on an ongoing basis. On the other hand, I just got hired to a key position by an active LDS member, who knows I smoke, drink coffee and don't go to church. Stereotypes are just that, we moved to SE Idaho just under a month ago and have made lots of friends, school-age on up, and so far none of them are LDS. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. They are just people, and as people go they make good neighbors like most people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 PM

19 posts, read 40,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
I've heard about this shunning from a friend at work who grew up non-LDS in Rexburg, where the other (LDS) kids were cruel on an ongoing basis. On the other hand, I just got hired to a key position by an active LDS member, who knows I smoke, drink coffee and don't go to church. Stereotypes are just that, we moved to SE Idaho just under a month ago and have made lots of friends, school-age on up, and so far none of them are LDS. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. They are just people, and as people go they make good neighbors like most people do.
It's gotten much better in recent history. And yet, many are still discriminated against at work, at school, etc. Thirty years ago, it was awful. Especially if you were from California! They would tell you not to "Californicate" Idaho. As more newcomers move here, it gets better. Maybe they are starting to realize that not all outsiders are bad.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 PM

5 posts, read 10,431 times
Default I wouldn't worry-

Quote:
Originally Posted by apej6 View Post
i am wondering if christians fit in all over idaho or in some spots, i have heard both. i first heard it is full of mormans who dont except anyone who is not. i then heard it is christian. i like idaho but i dont want my kids to be left out of stuff cuz there not morman. how is the state in general to raise a family? where are the best towns ( low crime, best schools, cheap, friendly,)

I wouldn't worry too much about your kids being left out. I am now a college student in Utah, but I was born and raised in a small town outside of Idaho Falls. I have to admit, I am mormon, so my opinion might be a little biased. I had a lot of friends who were from different faiths, in fact, my best friend wasn't mormon. I don't think your kids will have much problem finding friends. Of course, there are some ignorant mormons who might cause some problems, but I am pretty sure there are crazy ignorant people everywhere. There were some cliques and stuff while I was growing up, but I am pretty sure that is mostly a girl thing.

Mormon children do have their weekly church events that might effect some social life with kids from another religion. Some mormons strickly follow a family night, where Monday night is reserved for a weekly family time. Many mormon pre-teens and teenagers attend a weekly activity sponsored by the church, but non-LDS kids are welcome to attend. Other than that, being a part of the church doesn't really effect their social life.

My parents were a little more careful when letting me play at a non-members house, just because they were protective. Members of the LDS faith are all pretty close, somembers already know other members from what they see and hear each week at church. My parents often didn't know much about the non-LDS parents, so they would go and meet them before the play date. I am pretty sure that is a normal thing. Parents like to know who they let their kids be trusted to.

High school kind of became a more defining moment in the seperation. It was actually just more of a seperation of who would party on the weekends and who wouldn't. Ironically, it usually didn't have much to do with religion. Many non-mormons and mormons would party. My particular group of friends in high school was a non-party group which included non-LDS and LDS kids alike.

Basically, kids are not really seperated by religion, but more of their values. I have often thought about if I would like living in my LDS community if I wasn't LDS, and I think that I would. Its a great place to raise a family, because of the strong emphasis that the LDS puts on the family. It is somewhat of a bubble, but I liked the bubble. Of course, attending high school, no matter where you live, kind of pops the bubble- but I am glad I was in it when I was growing up. I never had to worry about being attacked or running into trouble on the streets. In high school, I had a lot of friends that I could hang out with on the weekends and not worry about being pressured into doing bad things. I loved my little home town, and would recommend it to anyone.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 10,837 times
Default LDS in Coeur d' Alene

I've never been to Coeur d' Alene, but I'm looking into it for a place to retire. If you like the area, don't be afraid of the Mormons or survivalists. The Mormons are gracious and loving with high morals, and the survivalists are just using common sense to prepare themselves for tough times. You might learn a lot from getting to know members of both groups.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 PM

993 posts, read 3,253,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
On the other hand, I just got hired to a key position by an active LDS member, who knows I smoke, drink coffee and don't go to church. .

Maybe we could just set in the car together and fog up the windows in the church parking lot

Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Maybe we could just set in the car together and fog up the windows in the church parking lot
So that was you checking me out in that church parking lot!! Next time don't be so shy

Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 PM

150 posts, read 580,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyboomer View Post
I've never been to Coeur d' Alene, but I'm looking into it for a place to retire. If you like the area, don't be afraid of the Mormons or survivalists. The Mormons are gracious and loving with high morals, and the survivalists are just using common sense to prepare themselves for tough times. You might learn a lot from getting to know members of both groups.

I'm sorry I am pretty new to the area but what is a survivalist?
What is the Panhandle?

I haven't had any issues with Mormons and this is coming from an Atheist. I keep to myself and they do too.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:41 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbercutes824 View Post
I'm sorry I am pretty new to the area but what is a survivalist?
What is the Panhandle?
There are many different beliefs or ideologies that lead to survivalism and the associated predictions lead to a wide variety of preparatory measures; but to put it most generally, survivalists believe there will come a time when infrastructure, social order, and eventually civilization will fail and humans will have to fend for themselves or live in bunkers or... the list goes on depending on the belief in what will bring this end about.

More cinematically (and humorously), it's a range of ideas all the way from Mad Max to Left Behind, including a lot in between and aside. Everything from prophecy to ideology builds these scenarios/preparations, so survivalists are by no means a homogeneous group.

I don't know the details of their prophecies, but Mormonism leads to a survivalist practice of storing a substantial stock of non-perishables in their homes. As can be surmised, this comes across as odd and makes other beliefs wonder, so it's occasionally stigmatized as a result.

As for the Panhandle, that's just a term for the narrowing portion of North Idaho. Most people use that term to reference any locale/region that is North of Riggins via ID-95. Lewiston and the Palouse and Clearwater regions north of there use the term most proudly due to many historical, economic, and thereby cultural distinctions from South Idaho.

Due to the Frank Church Wilderness, ID-95 is the only highway that accesses everything North of Riggins since ID-93 goes into Montana. Riggins is also the border between Oregon-Inland Eastward routes to the South and Washington associations to the North, hence the change in time zones just North of Riggins and the odd lip in the Mountain time zone to accommodate Boise/Nampa and a small portion of Eastern Oregon in trucking proximity to I-84.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM

150 posts, read 580,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
As for the Panhandle, that's just a term for the narrowing portion of North Idaho. Most people use that term to reference any locale/region that is North of Riggins via ID-95. Lewiston and the Palouse and Clearwater regions north of there use the term most proudly due to many historical, economic, and thereby cultural distinctions from South Idaho.
What are other differences of North Idaho than South Idaho besides the Mormon influence?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,565 times
There is no way you would be discriminated against for being not being Mormon in North Idaho. Non-demoninational Christianianity is very common. There are so many great churches up here. My favorite is Real Life Ministries, in Post Falls. If anything, the mormons are discriminated against. Trust me, there is no reason for concern about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho