Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:31 PM

915 posts, read 3,180,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Consider if your circumstances had been different. Say you hadn't made that call to USCIS and you found out you were currently in the country illegally.

Also, assume that you could not stay in the country to get your green card but would have to return to Germany tomorrow. Even though you are married to a US citizen. (As is the case for those who cross the border).

Now, would you follow the law if it said you must uproot yourself, quit your full-time job, pull you son out of school, break up your family, and move back to Germany and wait there for 2-to-4 years (in the best case, and forever in the worst) until your green card was processed?

Or would you peacefully petition the government to allow you to continue living your life here even though you didn't follow the tangle of procedures that you were supposed to?

That the majority of illegal aliens are doing the latter. I live and work with them and I believe they are positively contributing to our country. I believe them when they wave the American flag and say they want to be good and legal citizens. I can see why they want a chance to stay here. I don't see that as backstabbing. But again, we're getting off-topic.
If she did not realized that she is overstaying here and will be barred 3-10 years, there is another way she can get it waived if she can proved to the USCIS that hardship and such if they family is apart while the AOS still in process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,806 times
That's true. But it's very difficult to prove "extreme hardship" and USCIS is notoriously random in it's decisions. You'd better pray you get an interviewer who's in a damn good mood.

The smart thing to do is stay in the country apply for the GC and lay low for the year or so until the application goes through.

But I was trying to draw parallels with those who entered "without inspection", so I wasn't talking about the 3-10's. I was just talking about the processing time for an out-of-country spouse.

We're talking apples and oranges plus we're way off topic. Lets get back to visa holders. (Expired and not)

Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 PM

294 posts, read 1,086,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Consider if your circumstances had been different. Say you hadn't made that call to USCIS and you found out you were currently in the country illegally.

Also, assume that you could not stay in the country to get your green card but would have to return to Germany tomorrow. Even though you are married to a US citizen. (As is the case for those who cross the border).

Now, would you follow the law if it said you must uproot yourself, quit your full-time job, pull you son out of school, break up your family, and move back to Germany and wait there for 2-to-4 years (in the best case, and forever in the worst) until your green card was processed?

Or would you peacefully petition the government to allow you to continue living your life here even though you didn't follow the tangle of procedures that you were supposed to?

That the majority of illegal aliens are doing the latter. I live and work with them and I believe they are positively contributing to our country. I believe them when they wave the American flag and say they want to be good and legal citizens. I can see why they want a chance to stay here. I don't see that as backstabbing. But again, we're getting off-topic.
How does someone work here and not know that they are illegal?

You can't say you didn't realise you were illegal and tell us you were working, unless you stole a SS number, which in its self tells you your here illegally you would not be able to work.

Ticks me off when people say they didn't know they were here illegally, how they obtained the SS number is a big clue :

Governmant Issued - Legal
Not Government Issued - ILLEGAL

And how on earth can they contribute to our Country are they legally paying taxes? i doubt it.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmburns View Post
How does someone work here and not know that they are illegal?

You can't say you didn't realise you were illegal and tell us you were working, unless you stole a SS number, which in its self tells you your here illegally you would not be able to work.

Ticks me off when people say they didn't know they were here illegally, how they obtained the SS number is a big clue :

Governmant Issued - Legal
Not Government Issued - ILLEGAL

And how on earth can they contribute to our Country are they legally paying taxes? i doubt it.
Your lack of understanding of the visa system makes you unqualified to speak on this topic.

Some student and temporary non-immigrant (means you must leave by a certain date) visas allow for a period of employement or "On The Job Training" as part of your education. The government issues these visa holders a social-security number and a work permit along with their visa. The work permit has an expiration date but the SS# does not. If you change jobs often, or if you work for small businesses without the money to perform thorough background checks on new employees, it is easy to forget about the expiration date on your work permit. This can be true for big businesses as well, as the expiration date can get lost in the paperwork.

The SS# remains good for bank accounts, loans, taxes, Driver's Liscense, rentals, etc. Theoretically, you could live in the US your entire life on an expired student visa. Unless you travel overseas and go through customs, no one really checks for work permits or visa status. In fact, most people/employers/businesses assume that a valid SS# means that you are a US citizen. Generally, these visa overstays who are employed will even be included on an employer's tax forms and will be subject to federal income tax.

There. Now you're informed enough to vioce your opinion. Have at it.

This is just an example of how broken the visa system is. Obviously, these people are gainfully employed in skilled labor jobs, paying taxes, and contributing to America. The smart thing to do would be to give these intelligent and productive immigrants a (non-marriage) route to becoming a resident and eventually a citizen.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
Law enforcement is checking now. The LA Times today has two articles on immigration enforcement. Now it's Jail time for people caught with an expired visa.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 PM

Yeah right. Be sure to let me know the next time you drive through a LAPD checkpoint where they ask to see your birth certificate or SS card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration