Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:55 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,358,861 times

Advertisements

^^^

Actually, the former yugoslav nations, Italy, mexico, all of latin america, all Most of south east asia, Modern India, african nations are all younger than the USA

Actually Germany was still broken into different states even after the signing of the declaration.

I fail to see the point. What nation sees us as a young nation.

all the western hemisphere is considered an immigration country including the latin ones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 09:51 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,593,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
That is pretty much the same thing about American immigrants in other countries. Just to give you some perspective.
Let's be honest: the US is an EXTREMELY YOUNG country in most other nations eyes. To most other nations, the US IS an immigration country, because that's how it was built. And you cannot change that. Most countries have existed for several houndreds and even thousands of years. The US is just over 200+ years. Put that in our perspective.

This is the deal: the US is NOT the only country that takes in immigrants. Legals or illegals.
The US is NOT the only country suffering from illegal immigration.
The US is NOT alone feeling like the own country and "people" is falling apart.
Far from it.
Look at it like this: The US starts wars. 5 European countries has to take on most refugees fleeing form the areas.
How do you think that is for us? But you don't hear us complaining in thread after thread after thread about it. It feels like there are hundreds and hundreds of threads already like this on this forum alone! Hasn't eveything been said already?? Ok, so you hate immigrants. Both legal and illegal. Do you really need to go on about it some more?! How do you think you would feel if other countries started to say: "We hate all American immigrants, they only cause trouble and should be thrown out of this country!!"
That wouldn't be so nice, would it?
This forum and it's "inhabitants" doesn't care if the legals/illegals are being good for the society. Sure, there may be some few comments about that "if they are good, they can stay", but let's face it- in your eyes, they should all return to their "home countries".

Other countries are mad about this too, because this is happening ALL OVER THE WORLD! Even in "less fortunate countries". You may not think it's as devestating to other countries- because quite simply, you don't put in perspective, and/or you don't know enough about the outside world.
We have all your problems too in other countries. We may not have as many illegals as you do, but put in perspective, we have the same amount. And because our countires are smaller with smaller population- it affects us even more.
Think about that for a change. And you STILL don't hear us complaining all the time about it.
Words on a forum doesn't make much difference. It just feeds hatridge and spreads it around. Kind of like Hitler's "Mein Kampf", but with a superior spreading tool.
"Sweden", I'm not sure I get your point---you seem pretty judgemental against Americans (which puts you right in league with about half of the Americans themselves). You proceed to list the ways in which illegal immigration has impacted European countries---THEN you seem to advocate that if "you" Europeans can put up with these negative impacts, "WE" Americans should, too.---THEN you conclude your post by telling us that Europeans don't "complain" about the situation like we do.
So what is it? Is illegal imigration good, or bad?..If any part of it is "bad", does anyone have the right to point this out? And does a European get to point it out, whereas an American does not?
Your fatal error, though, was a favorite statement often used right here in the USA. You said, in effect, that "Your country (the USA) has always welcomed immigrants---therefore, this is your role to fill now, and on into the indefinite future. You have 'inherited' the job of taking in immigrants, and you're not allowed to change". This seems like pretty hazy thinking to me. What if we told the Arabs, "you've ALWAYS been nomadic, bloodthirsty tribesmen who mistreat your women---you can NEVER learn the ways of settled society, and you will NEVER be able to co-exist with infidels". Such a statement would provoke instant outrage from you and about 97% of all westerners. Yet you yourself are willing to tell us Americans that we can "never" change, and are not allowed to alter the direction our country is taking, because we've ALWAYS done things a certain way, and that's what you expect us to do.
In conclusion, I'll say this, and I mean no disrespect to any European--but in many ways, we Americans see the situation in Europe as being a foretaste of our own future, if we don't "put our house in order". What's happening in Europe certainly does not elicit the envy of most Americans, and quite frankly, we think you're on a "downward spiral" in many ways, and many of us wonder how you're able to adapt to this without more concern than you've shown. Obviously, the European concept of society and sovereignty differs sharply from the American one....
PS Sweden, do you see any irony at all in the fact that your post was written in almost flawless English (better than the norm in the American-born population,) and yet several million people within the USA do NOT have the ability to use English with any proficiency, and are not being urged to do so by the "local" population?--this strikes me as a HUGE contradiction to your very "liberal" stance on OUR immigration situation.---I just had to point that out.
Thanks for listening....

Old 09-02-2007, 10:59 AM

96 posts, read 276,138 times
Hello All,
Immigrants that come to this U.S.A. illegally have no respect for this country, the AMERICAN PEOPLE, and least of all themselves. Nor are they
honorable people. They don't come to give to AMERICA only to take from it
and they do it laughing at us , the AMERICAN PEOPLE.
Many people have written into this forum saying that many of these
immigrants do not want to be AMERICAN'S,,,well let me tell you...they are not good enough to be AMERICAN'S. The AMERICAN PEOPLE are known through
out the world for their generosity of giving and giving more and more.
Right down to their lives,,,WW 1 , WW 2 , Korea , NAM , MUST I GO ON.
We are the product of the immigrants that you refer to that started
AMERICA and made it strong and what it is today....What are the illegal's?
What are they giving to AMERICA?
Those of you who are so proud that you went to mexico on your vacation
and had such a wonderful time only give your stamp of approval on
illegal immigration. By going there you are telling the mexican's that you
bear no ill feeling's for their plite and that you think that it is okay what
they are doing.
Get a map of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA , the GREATEST LAND
IN THE WORLD , YOUR LAND, YOUR COUNTRY, and see how great and
how large we are and start visiting it . Be proud that you are an AMERICAN
support AMERICA in this manner at a time when she need's us all. Let the
government know that we do not agree with the method's that are being
used to enter OUR COUNTRY.. Let the mexican people and all people of the
world know that they are welcome here the same as we would want to be welcome in there country if we were to go there.. WAKE UP AMERICA OUR
WAY OF LIFE IS IN THE BALANCE OF THINGS....WE CAN NOT HANDLE A
LARGE IN FLUX OF IMMIGRATN'S ALL AT ONE TIME...ILLEGAL OR OTHERWISE.
Yes we all have ancesters that were immigrant's but they came here
giving not just to take from. Because of them ancester's we have what we
have and because ot them I was born an AMERICAN AND I AM AN AMERICAN.

LOVE THE U.S.A.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:30 PM

394 posts, read 1,009,347 times
"This is the deal: the US is NOT the only country that takes in immigrants.
The US is NOT the only country suffering from illegal immigration."

true, but the u.s. takes in well over 1 million LEGAL immigrants a year. thats more than every other country in the world COMBINED!!!! also, name another first world country that has 12 to 30 million [ who knows how many ] illegals draining it's system ?

Last edited by scootertrash61; 09-02-2007 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: quotes

Old 09-02-2007, 04:09 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,653,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash61 View Post
"This is the deal: the US is NOT the only country that takes in immigrants.
The US is NOT the only country suffering from illegal immigration."

true, but the u.s. takes in well over 1 million LEGAL immigrants a year. thats more than every other country in the world COMBINED!!!! also, name another first world country that has 12 to 30 million [ who knows how many ] illegals draining it's system ?
Again, as always on this particular forum, the point was lost. You complain about immigrants comming to the US and are unwilling to learn English, but when are you going to comprehend English? As I said- put it in perspektiv! No, few countries take in that many people, but our countries are SMALLER! The impact is still the same! Look at percantage and statistics and you'll learn that it's not all about certain numbers, but the end result.
Which I aslo wrote.

Instead of just reading and wanting to find something to complain about and to disagree with (and from that single statement say that VEREYTHING in the post was wrong) please read and THINK about what the person was trying to say.
Western European countries ARE in the SAME situation as you are in, agree or don't it won't change anything, but we do NOT complain about it like you do. I have yet to find a forum like this from any European country where there are hundreds and hundreds of threads- ALL dedicated to complaining about how bad you have it.
I tried to explain to you our situation- it was not a complaint and if you actually read it, you will see that. How am I going to make a point if I am not allowed to say anything about the circumstances?

I live in Sweden and we learn English in school and through media (70 to 90 % of our media are American these days). I know good English, but many don't eventhough they have the same chances as I to learn it. You cannot judge all Swedes based on what I am like, and I cannot base my perception on all Americans on what you are like. Thankfully.
Yes, it's horrible that people moving to the US don't have to learn English. But let's face it: we have the same problem. So do NOT believe I in ANY WAY endorse this happening in the US. Just because I do not like the fact that all you do on this forum is complaining and wining about how bad you have it and, plain simple, being rascists, it does not mean it think it's ok that you have all those illegals coming into your country. I can disagree with you on one point without disagreeing with you on everything. We all can do that. I just wish you all would see that.

Before quoting my posts, I urge you to READ through them and think actively about what I might be saying instead of using prejudice filters. Read with an open mind. Everytime you read something that someone else has posted. Always.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:08 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,093,549 times
Swede, 'nothing' to do with racism. It's citizens/legals losing our apartments and homes, it's losing our medical insurance, it's losing our previous 'wages' so many do not take home enough pay to afford the cheapest possible place let alone pay for food and rest of the bills. It's not being able to find work for many to do illegal competition. It's illegals completely taken over many work industries. It's many in L.A., etc. living on the streets or in their vehicles (families!). It is several life threatening things, and a lot more serious living problems. We want things changed for the better and it takes a fight to do it.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:00 PM

273 posts, read 250,982 times
[quote=LOVE THE U.S.A.;1410190]
Those of you who are so proud that you went to mexico on your vacation
and had such a wonderful time only give your stamp of approval on
illegal immigration. By going there you are telling the mexican's that you
bear no ill feeling's for their plite and that you think that it is okay what
they are doing.(quote]

Vacation spots in Mexico no longer offer that "special getaway" and you don't have to go far from the resort areas to see what real poverty is! You don't go into those neighborhoods because the poor are being told it is our (the USAs') fault.
I do think the general populace of Mexico are good, hard-working people. However, Mexico has an astronomically high rate of poverty, and these are the poor, uneducated people stealing across the borders into the United States by the thousands everyday. Why should they respect our people and country when they feel we are the cause of their plight and righteous to take whatever they can from us.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:55 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,304,616 times
Quote:
That is pretty much the same thing about American immigrants in other countries. Just to give you some perspective.
Let's be honest: the US is an EXTREMELY YOUNG country in most other nations eyes. To most other nations, the US IS an immigration country, because that's how it was built. And you cannot change that. Most countries have existed for several houndreds and even thousands of years. The US is just over 200+ years. Put that in our perspective.

This is the deal: the US is NOT the only country that takes in immigrants. Legals or illegals.
Far from it.
Look at it like this: The US starts wars. 5 European countries has to take on most refugees fleeing form the areas.
How do you think that is for us? But you don't hear us complaining in thread after thread after thread about it. It feels like there are hundreds and hundreds of threads already like this on this forum alone! Hasn't eveything been said already?? Ok, so you hate immigrants. Both legal and illegal. Do you really need to go on about it some more?! How do you think you would feel if other countries started to say: "We hate all American immigrants, they only cause trouble and should be thrown out of this country!!"
This forum and it's "inhabitants" doesn't care if the legals/illegals are being good for the society. Sure, there may be some few comments about that "if they are good, they can stay", but let's face it- in your eyes, they should all return to their "home countries".

Other countries are mad about this too, because this is happening ALL OVER THE WORLD! Even in "less fortunate countries". You may not think it's as devestating to other countries- because quite simply, you don't put in perspective, and/or you don't know enough about the outside world.
We have all your problems too in other countries. We may not have as many illegals as you do, but put in perspective, we have the same amount. And because our countires are smaller with smaller population- it affects us even more.
Think about that for a change. And you STILL don't hear us complaining all the time about it.
Words on a forum doesn't make much difference. It just feeds hatridge and spreads it around. Kind of like Hitler's "Mein Kampf", but with a superior spreading tool.
1) Nobody said they "hated" illegal immigrants.
2) It's not the business of Europeans to be telling Americans how we should construct our immigration laws.
3) Who do you think you are that you can come on an AMERICAN forum and tell AMERICANS what their concerns should or shouldn't be?
4) The U.S. starts wars? Right, and European countries don't. WWI and WWII was the fault of America. Got it.

I don't know what kind of history they're teaching in Sweden, and I really don't know why you think what you have to say about American immigration problems matters: it doesn't. You're a European: stick to your own country's problems.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:55 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,057,164 times
Swede,
Have you ever been to the States for an extended period of time? Do you know much about the average American's lifestyle, challenges, work environment or social services? We might all be referred to as "the West" but that's about all we have in common.

We have to fend for ourselves for health care, child care, sufficient retirement and other programs you in Europe take for granted. Yes, we do have some government programs that are supposed to provide in times of need and ill fortune but these programs are extremely limited. For instance, I am disabled (declared by my own government as unfit to work) but even though I am seriously ill, I do not have health care coverage. To try to save funds, Congress passed a law saying that the disabled have to wait 2 YEARS and 5 months for government health care coverage -- in a system where health insurance is tied to employment. In our system, I can't even buy my own insurance because I am ill -- no one will sell me a policy.

What does this have to do with illegal immigration? The illegal immigrants are getting free health care! And free schooling for their children! And food stamps! By the millions, they sneak in here and either have phony documents prepared or they steal an American's identity to receive all sorts of services. They are a huge drain on the few programs we have that are supposed to take care of Americans who have worked their whole lives and paid into some of these programs with the promise of receiving help, if needed.

We have countries to the south of us who are systematically exporting their poor to us and our system cannot withstand it. This is a free-market system and big business is king. Companies are able to pay workers of dubious citizenship much less than American workers, which lowers the wages of skilled trades for all. Many illegal workers are paid "under the table," so they don't pay taxes, while Americans are now having to accept less money for their skills and DO have to pay taxes -- plus, somehow have to find a way to afford health insurance, housing, food, transportation, and the like on a lower wage.

The office staff in my doctor's office just shake their heads. I am a disabled American who has to save up money from my disability checks for months to pay cash to see a doctor while people everyone KNOWS aren't legal citizens arrive speaking Spanish and flashing their government Medicaid cards so their care is entirely free of charge. I live on a strict budget for food and stand in line with the necessities behind Spanish-speaking families all decked out in designer clothes and gold jewelry with carts filled with food and a government food card to take care of it for them. Is this right?

We keep reading reports about how Social Security and Medicare (pension and medical care for the elderly) are going to go bankrupt in about 20 years, yet hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants with fake documents are collecting. They also routinely sue our doctors and systems, which costs all of us money and makes our health care even more expensive.

You live in a "nanny state." We don't have much of a safety net. And if you were disabled and denied help because there wasn't any money, but you saw illegal immigrants getting everything they need at taxpayers' expense, you would be outraged, too.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:44 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,430,306 times
Quote:

Far from it.

Thank you for the sentiment of what you wrote - I wholly agree! Cheers to you & here's a rep point too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration