Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 02:34 PM

591 posts, read 868,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
As the illegal immigration debate heats up, an anti-hispanic tone has been strongly associated to it. Instead of keeping the argument about legal immigration many radicals curse the use of spanish, or spanish culture per se, as if illegal immigration and spanish culture are the same thing, the direct effect has been that the hispanic population has united more than ever before, in a common front against discrimination, and with hispanic-americans numbering over 50 million, the implicit is obvious, hispanic americans have the power to sway elections one way or the other, and since the gop has been so loud, they will pay the political price, with the added insult that hispanic-americans are the fastest growing ethnicity, and this change will have short and long term consequences....

I don't care what langugage you prefer speaking in (I speak 3) but in this country to not speak English is a slap in the face to the U.S.

The point is, hispanics (and I have many latino friends) are generally more xenophobic and ethnocentric than a lot of other groups. In fact, in Spain and Mexico, they generally won't perform Operas in Italian (the original language for many), they all have to be in Spanish, whereas here, in Australia, Europe, they are done in the original language. Why? Not because the performers won't do the other language (Opera is a world circuit these days, the same people perform in Milan, Mexico City, NY, Paris, Sydney, etc.,) but because the listeners don't want to be bothered learning some other language. They think Spain and its "children" should rule. They are not generous of sipirit that way; sure, brave, macho, you could trust your life walking down the worst part of town with them, but they are more cliquey than New Englanders.

In Mexico City (where I traveled) they refuse to say ballet as in the French pronunciation, saying Ball-Ett. It is a point of honor to mis-pronounce it, as a diss to the French (Remember Maximilian?)

As long as the majority of latinos insist on keep their own ways forever in this new country, they will always face the same problems. All other ethnicities speak English (my Tunisian friends, for example, the Sikh down the street who owns the convenience store, my clients from Vietnam, China, Japan, Germany, etc.). Why should Latinos be different? By what right do they obtain a higher privilege??

Look, I admire and cherish my Scottish heritage, but I am not going to go around telling people to wear kilts and eat haggis, nor am I going to do that myself!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM

187 posts, read 182,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
It is part of the game, Comes with the territory, if it is to hot , get out of the kitchen. The places they come from are better? Stay there? Don't come. Have you ever been to Austin.....part of it looks like Mexico, and civil people can not survive there............you must be smart and tough. It's like the south-side of Chicago..............don't go there unless you want drugs or prostitution...........the cops can not control it with out violence , and when your way , Like HITTER you will take away the guns from law abiding citizens and car jacking and home invasion will start back up in the suburbs.

I have been through the most pure anglo neighborhoods, and I tell you it ain't pretty, junked cars everywhere, toothless people armed to their gums (ha,ha), filthy clothes, broken english, addicted to meth, and all kind of drugs, etc.. I prefer places like manhattan, S.F., Chicago, Miami where you see lots of educated peolple of different ethnicities chatting in cafes, theaters, etc. The intolerant ranks of the anglo population decided to isolate themselves and they have created a third world sub-class in the usa that is a national shame, like our beloved president Obama said "those that live isolated clinging to their guns and bibles",
we know exactly what he meant......

Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,082,095 times
Quote:
Ha, Ha, Ha, thanks, I needed a good laugh.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime
Your 2nd sentence pretty much implies the 1st. Unless there's some other constitutional amendment I missed that specifies an official national language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses
wat
I guess if the point isn't spelled out clearly enough to you guys, you miss it completely. The right to Freedom of Speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations. The Freedom of Speech Clause is aimed at the ability (of a person(s)) to criticize our government without being censored. It doesn't give you the right to speak any language you want, it is the fact that there in no Official Language in the USA (pointed out by rhymetime). In almost every session of Congress, an amendment to the Constitution is proposed in Congress to adopt English as the official language of the United States. Often these bills are in response to legislation recognizing non-English languages in public discourse of some kind. Keep in mind, there are numerous states that have Official Language laws; Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming. A small handful date back more than a few decades, such as Louisiana (1811) and Nebraska (1920), but most official language statutes were passed since the 1970's.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 08-03-2011 at 04:37 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
I guess if the point isn't spelled out clearly enough to you guys, you miss it completely. The right to Freedom of Speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations. The Freedom of Speech Clause is aimed at the ability (of a person(s)) to criticize our government without being censored. It doesn't give you the right to speak any language you want, it is the fact that there in no Official Language in the USA (pointed out by rhymetime). In almost every session of Congress, an amendment to the Constitution is proposed in Congress to adopt English as the official language of the United States. Often these bills are in response to legislation recognizing non-English languages in public discourse of some kind. Keep in mind, there are numerous states that have Official Language laws; Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming. A small handful date back more than a few decades, such as Louisiana (1811) and Nebraska (1920), but most official language statutes were passed since the 1970's.
OMG, this is even funnier, thanks,...

Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM

736 posts, read 526,953 times
Quote:
As the illegal immigration debate heats up, an anti-hispanic tone has been strongly associated to it. Instead of keeping the argument about legal immigration many radicals curse the use of spanish, or spanish culture per se, as if illegal immigration and spanish culture are the same thing, the direct effect has been that the hispanic population has united more than ever before, in a common front against discrimination, and with hispanic-americans numbering over 50 million, the implicit is obvious, hispanic americans have the power to sway elections one way or the other, and since the gop has been so loud, they will pay the political price, with the added insult that hispanic-americans are the fastest growing ethnicity, and this change will have short and long term consequences....
Americans don't curse the spanish culture, we just prefer that they come here legally. Also you fail to recognize the GOP has Marco Rubio, also we just wish that they come here and obtain their citizenship legally, just like every other foreigner. BTW this is America, and we speak American. I don't want to go to any department store and have to interpet what the employee is saying. When you share a border with a country you might have problems with them. Like Mexico, mexicans just come here for our welfare, and better economy.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P View Post
Americans don't curse the spanish culture, we just prefer that they come here legally. Also you fail to recognize the GOP has Marco Rubio, also we just wish that they come here and obtain their citizenship legally, just like every other foreigner. BTW this is America, and we speak American. I don't want to go to any department store and have to interpet what the employee is saying. When you share a border with a country you might have problems with them. Like Mexico, mexicans just come here for our welfare, and better economy.
Marco is a smart person, and if he stays away from radical right wing ideology, he could get support from the spanish community. There is no language called american, it is called english....

Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,215,154 times
Quote:
lolz

Old 08-03-2011, 06:39 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,495,835 times
Quote:
I have been through the most pure anglo neighborhoods, and I tell you it ain't pretty, junked cars everywhere, toothless people armed to their gums (ha,ha), filthy clothes, broken english, addicted to meth, and all kind of drugs, etc.. I prefer places like manhattan, S.F., Chicago, Miami where you see lots of educated peolple of different ethnicities chatting in cafes, theaters, etc. The intolerant ranks of the anglo population decided to isolate themselves and they have created a third world sub-class in the usa that is a national shame, like our beloved president Obama said "those that live isolated clinging to their guns and bibles",
we know exactly what he meant......
Like illegal aliens are better? Lots of what you say is happenin in Mexico to. Zetas. Knights Templar. etc. It aint just anglos.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,278,981 times
Quote:
Marco is a smart person, and if he stays away from radical right wing ideology, he could get support from the spanish community. There is no language called american, it is called english....
Actually when in a non-english speaking country you have a choice. If you want to learn American English or British English. And there is a difference.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,356,704 times
Quote:
Actually most here that speak Spanish, their roots originated in Mexico and are of the Mestizo culture.

Here is an interesting article denoting the differences between Spanish and Mexican (Mestizo) culture.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2073888_dist...h-customs.html

Last edited by chicagonut; 08-03-2011 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration