Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,138,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm actually from Latin America and I think you're talking non-sense. Where you are greatly wrong is in the fact that wanting everyone to speak ENGLISH is NOT racial discrimination, at all. It's the hard reality, and it comes with living in a country whose language is different from your own. I had to learn English, no one was going to hold my hand during school or work and happily provide me a translator for every little thing. Get off your butt and learn English. If I can do it, everyone else can. There's no excuse. If you want to keep living the same way you did back home, then do us all a favor and GO BACK HOME. I expect everyone that moves into a Latin American country to learn Spanish and to integrate, and I reasonably expect my fellow latinos to do the same as well. Stop spinning an issue into something that is far from reality. I'm sorry but, there are less Hispanics on your side than you would like to think.
I don't think it matters how many Hispanics are on what side. It's not as if Hispanics cannot be ignorant about their own history, or about how immigration has historically worked. Hispanics are absolutely no different from other immigration groups in America. There may be more of them overall than others, but they are functioning EXACTLY the same. They are adapting EXACTLY in the same ways and timeframes. The spin is coming largely from those who can't look past their own biases. That it comes from other Hispanics is not surprising, but it seems much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,494,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There is no official language in the US. What is happening with first generation immigrants, legal or not, is the same as what happened with any large group of immigrants. First generation immigrants are going to associate the most with their original languages and cultures. Later generations gradually adapt more and more into the adopted country. Honestly, you're a conundrum. I don't really understand people who have an issue with their background, and more I don't understand people who have such narrow views of people that they malign them only into terms of negatives. Put them together and it's a real wtf. Reduce the amount of illegal immigration? Sure. Treating them as anything but people with as many flaws as qualities is just the realm of the ignorant.
I stand by my words. Hungry AMERICANS here IN the USA come BEFORE ILLEGAL aliens. Illegal aliens need to go HOME. More and more fiends of mine cant find work. Part of why is many employers want there illegal alien help cause they cant complain bout being treated bad.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,692,395 times
Quote:
I don't think it matters how many Hispanics are on what side. It's not as if Hispanics cannot be ignorant about their own history, or about how immigration has historically worked. Hispanics are absolutely no different from other immigration groups in America. There may be more of them overall than others, but they are functioning EXACTLY the same. They are adapting EXACTLY in the same ways and timeframes. The spin is coming largely from those who can't look past their own biases. That it comes from other Hispanics is not surprising, but it seems much worse.

Sure... We have people who have been in the US for 20 years who cannot speak English AT ALL. I worked with a girl whose parents came over from Guatemala in 1981 and they do not speak English.

They don't learn it because they don't want to. English happens to be one of the easiest languages in the world but they don't assimilate out of laziness and ignorance. They would much rather be catered to.

Having lived abroad, I find it BS. I speak the languages spoken in the countries I have lived in and I learned it out of respect for the people around me and also because I knew it was a smart thing to do. It is the only way you can get ahead in a foreign country. But here noooooo. Press 2 for Spanish, Spanish labels, channels that cater to Spanish speakers etc etc.

They don't care to assimilate as long as they can keep sucking us dry... It is all about $$$$.

I am not saying any of this just as an American...but also as the daughter and granddaughter of immigrants who had to learn the language spoken here and assimilated. They made this country their home! Once you leave your homeland to settle in a different nation, you adapt. That is how it should be....Not this BS going on nowadays where people act like we owe them something.

Illegal aliens have no respect for the United States and its people.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:23 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,860,283 times
Quote:
Thank You for your participation here, I want to ´rep´ you for just about everything you post...

From the topic title of the ¨racial tone¨, I had a PM sent to me by another member today that wants to analyze me by what race they think I am. When promptly corrected, I received a follow-up (my response enclosed) that still had that mistaken racial classification applied to me. I´ve told them to not contact me again by PM.

I´m sure enough of who I am, if that doesn´t fit into their view, it is their problem to resolve...

EDIT: Apparently ¨never¨ is not definitive enough about contacting me...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 08-04-2011 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,349,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Sure... We have people who have been in the US for 20 years who cannot speak English AT ALL. I worked with a girl whose parents came over from Guatemala in 1981 and they do not speak English.

They don't learn it because they don't want to. English happens to be one of the easiest languages in the world but they don't assimilate out of laziness and ignorance. They would much rather be catered to.

Having lived abroad, I find it BS. I speak the languages spoken in the countries I have lived in and I learned it out of respect for the people around me and also because I knew it was a smart thing to do. It is the only way you can get ahead in a foreign country. But here noooooo. Press 2 for Spanish, Spanish labels, channels that cater to Spanish speakers etc etc.

They don't care to assimilate as long as they can keep sucking us dry... It is all about $$$$.

I am not saying any of this just as an American...but also as the daughter and granddaughter of immigrants who had to learn the language spoken here and assimilated. They made this country their home! Once you leave your homeland to settle in a different nation, you adapt. That is how it should be....Not this BS going on nowadays where people act like we owe them something.

Part of assimilation is respecting the laws of this country and putting it first also. I posted a topic in here where a 4th generation Mexican-American was advocating for his own ethnic kind here illegally. I don't call that assimilation whether he can speak English or not.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
I stand by my words. Hungry AMERICANS here IN the USA come BEFORE ILLEGAL aliens. Illegal aliens need to go HOME. More and more fiends of mine cant find work. Part of why is many employers want there illegal alien help cause they cant complain bout being treated bad.
The US produces more than enough food for every single resident, not to mention how much it exports each year to other nations. No one has to go hungry in America. Obesity rates alone show that much, so spare the dramatics. The problem is distribution, not supply.

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this, but we went into the most severe recession since the Great Depression. Millions of people are out of work (I was unemployed for months and no illegal took my job), even though we supposedly are no longer in it. The economy still blows. And what you are describing is not really the fault of the illegal, but the company. If anything, the illegal is getting screwed in that they are being abused by these corporations that are raking in larger profits on their backs. The illegals get paid very low wages with likely zero benefits like health insurance. And sorry, but if your friends are competing for those types of jobs, perhaps they need to think about going back to school.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 08-05-2011 at 12:40 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post

We have native English speakers born here in the US who can barely manage coherent sentences. And honestly, if someone doesn't want to learn, who is it really hurting beyond themselves? Why does it bother you or anyone else so much? I would think that those people would probably have to live harder, more isolated lives with fewer opportunities because of their refusal to adapt, but it's not a crime.

Uh, no, English is actually very hard to learn. Believe me, I taught it. And not learning English does not automatically mean they are catered to. Again, if anything, the greater burden, by far, is on them.

Having lived abroad, you apparently learned very little from the experience. You certainly gained no real appreciation for other cultures and languages, or the differences in how people see themselves and their roles. Frankly, you just sound like one more arrogant American who never went anywhere.

Yes, it's a mass conspiracy bent upon the very destruction of the one thing you're claiming they need to keep up their lap of luxury lifestyle. Makes total sense

Isn't it always those who claim to have come from immigrants (I'm pretty sure we all did as Americans) that their ancestors did everything right, that no one they know would've ever done it any way but legally. And they learned English instantly. And never once broke a single law when here. Right. And David Hasslehoff is not popular in Germany.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Part of assimilation is respecting the laws of this country and putting it first also. I posted a topic in here where a 4th generation Mexican-American was advocating for his own ethnic kind here illegally. I don't call that assimilation whether he can speak English or not.
I'm not Mexican, yet I'll certainly go to bat for what I think is right. I'm pretty sure I'm assimilated. BTW, you guys act like Borg... Assimilate!!!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:55 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,488,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Well i have a bit of Spanish blood in myself, but i consider myself mostly Italain, like it better sorry. The thing is i was born and raised in the good old USA, and consider myself American first, Italian and Spanish blood second.

And i myself identify with Italians more, like the language better, and sorry the Italians. First and foremost i do not identify myself with Spanish or Italian speaking people, i identify with people who are PROUD TO BE AMERICANS.

My common denominator is English speaking people, and no one who trys and sugar coat this issue.
I do love all People and have traveled the World, one thing i will say, always so very happy to be back home again, on American Soil after a long long trip.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,692,395 times
Quote:
Isn't it always those who claim to have come from immigrants (I'm pretty sure we all did as Americans) that their ancestors did everything right, that no one they know would've ever done it any way but legally. And they learned English instantly. And never once broke a single law when here. Right. And David Hasslehoff is not popular in Germany.
My first language is Portuguese and I did not know English until I was about 15 years old. It took me less than 4 months to learn it and I speak it fluently. I was born here much lived abroad for much of my childhood.

Yes they don't learn it because they do not want to. I stand by what I said.

My dad and my grandparents did everything right and I came from a family of people who have morals and no, they would have never come here illegally. Not everyone in this world thinks they are above the laws of this country like those who are here illegally...believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration