Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
This is like asking why Australians might be a little more sensitive to the rights of the average Australian than the average person. Seriously. That's what this is like.

That thread contains a "debate" about whether the only reason a 4th generation Mexican American supports illegal immigrant rights is due to her nationality. The ONLY reason. That's a real debate happening in this forum right now.
I would have trouble with any one from any group believing that because of their affiliation with some group, that group is above the law.

Why would the people of a particular country have more "rights" because some ancestor of mine may have left that country hundreds of years ago? I sure don't think like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,213,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would have trouble with any one from any group believing that because of their affiliation with some group, that group is above the law.

Why would the people of a particular country have more "rights" because some ancestor of mine may have left that country hundreds of years ago? I sure don't think like that.
I guess, then, that you disagree with the strawman that you have created.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 PM

335 posts, read 329,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
uh huh. Of course any of the people saying they hire them because not only will they usually do it cheaper but they are actually harder workers as well are just liars. Benicar feels it in her gut.
How do you define "harder worker"?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:30 AM

321 posts, read 363,502 times
Their is going to come a time real soon where americans take immigration law into their own hands.

I think it will be around 12% unemployment. That number should yield enough hatred toward our federal government for not enforcing our laws. I think you will see some "community organizing" that will lead americans on a path of destroying any chances of illegal aliens from taking american jobs.

It is going to be interesting when americans get more desperate to survive than mexicans. Watch what happens

Old 08-03-2011, 12:33 AM

187 posts, read 182,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can only speak for yourself. I can guarantee you that many Americans with Spanish ancestry not only do not speak Spanish but also don't identify with illegals at all.

Cesar Chavez for example was a Spanish-American, he allso distinguished his group from Mexicans by referring to them as Mexican Americans and many used the term "chicano". "Hispanic" is traditionally used by those trying to deny their Central American Indian ethnicity.

You may not realize this but before the big mad dash over the border of millions of new arrivals since the late 1980s, "hispanics" or Spanish-Americans were a Conservative voting block. Not only that - they still are, which is one reason the "hispanic" voting block is not pure democrat, and not all pro-massive and unlimited illegal immigration.
Refer to the OP, people keep mixing spanish culture with "illegals", and as long as this is the case, there will be a backlash from many (not all) hispanics. I am an american who happens to be fluent in several languages, and as an american I have the right to speak in whatever language I choose at any given time. I get a kick when I am in public spaces speaking spanish and get a "look" from some radical or whatever,
then I switch to english for a minute to make clear that I speak perfect english, then I resume spanish talking as fast as I can....

Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,021,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
They aren't running around murdering American workers to take their jobs.
I'm sure someone will now dig up a news article with a story about an illegal murdering an american to "prove" that "they" are in fact doing exactly that!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,493,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss yauco View Post
Refer to the OP, people keep mixing spanish culture with "illegals", and as long as this is the case, there will be a backlash from many (not all) hispanics. I am an american who happens to be fluent in several languages, and as an american I have the right to speak in whatever language I choose at any given time. I get a kick when I am in public spaces speaking spanish and get a "look" from some radical or whatever,
then I switch to english for a minute to make clear that I speak perfect english, then I resume spanish talking as fast as I can....
Be careful. More and more American people HATE it when they hear Spanish cause Spanish is the language of illegals. Even if the person talkin Spanish is a US citizen.

A smart illegal alien would lie low instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:32 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,682,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Be careful. More and more American people HATE it when they hear Spanish cause Spanish is the language of illegals. Even if the person talkin Spanish is a US citizen.

It strikes me because illegals don't lay low. They act like they own the country.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:10 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,021,387 times
Quote:

Summary: be careful because there are a lot of people who stereotype and assume anyone who don't speak MERIKAN words must be one of them illegals and, well, we just gotta do whatever we can to not anger those dummies that can't actually think, even if it means we're just encouraging their ignorant thinking.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:31 AM

187 posts, read 182,196 times
Quote:

Like I said, I am an american living in the usa, I think free speech is part of our constitution, so I will speak whatever language I want, if that is a problem for some people, I really could not care less....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration